It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would my grandad have known as a 3rd degree mason?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by rapunzel222

We don't lie to each other. The myth of this comes from a quote of Pike's taken out of context by those who truly don't understand the story of that degree and its lessons.

There's no light without shade. No white squares without black squares. No truth without lies. If a mason always told the truth, then he would never touch the black squares and never understand the shade. The floor of the lodge would then be more correctly tiled with white squares only, leaving the black squares for the outside pavements. But, to bring those black squares into the most holy temple of freemasonry, is to include the shade in the instruction and practice. Therefore, we conclude, by simple reasoning, that masons do not always tell the truth.

edit on 28-8-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatOwl
If a mason always told the truth, then he would never touch the black squares and never understand the shade.

The Checkered Floor is meant to represent everyone's experiences through life, not an indivdual Masons veracity.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

But a secret handshake is only useful if you can't recognize a brother on sight.
I would never give a Masonic handshake to someone who I didn't already know was a Mason.

Interesting comment.

I always wondered if there was indeed a way for two strangers to recognize each other as fraternal brothers without that physical contact of the handshake.

I know the "ring" is a popular symbol. This goes back to antient days, even back to the time of Solomon. As the Jewish historian Josephus records, there was a priest by the name of Eleazar who was able to cast out demons by showing them a "ring". The demons possessing the men obviously "recognized" that ring on sight, and took that as a warning that Eleazar "knew" enough about them to cause them to worry about their own safety, so they would flee at the sight of that "ring".

Josephus, in speaking of the wisdom of Solomon, says that he had that skill by which demons are expelled; and that he left behind him the manner of using exorcisms, by which they are cast out; and that those arts were known among his countrymen down to his own time; and then gives us the following relation: "I have seen a certain man of my own country whose name was Eleazar, releasing people that were demoniacs, in the presence of Vespasian, his sons, his captains, and the whole multitude of his soldiers. The manner of the cure was this: He put a ring, that had a root of one of those sorts mentioned by Solomon, to the nostrils of the demoniac, after which he drew out the demon through his nostrils; and, when the man fell down, immediately he adjured him to return into him no more, making still mention of Solomon, and reciting the incantations that he had composed. And when Eleazar would persuade the spectators that he had such power, he set at a little distance a cup of water, and commanded the demon, as he went out of the man, to overturn it; and, when this was done, the skill and wisdom of Solomon were showed very manifestly." Joseph. Antiq. book viii. cap. 2, sect. 5. Whiston's edition.

SOURCE: bible.cc...

There mere fact that the demons took instructions from the priest just because he showed them his "ring", is truly fantastical. But, does suggest that both the Priest and the demons had common knowledge, and a shared understanding, of the meaning behind that "ring".

No scientist could explain how a "ring" could cure a person of some apparent mental disease today, simply by displaying that "ring".

Only in Freemasonry, can we find any logical explanation for this historical episode which took place in our ancient past. For we see, just as masons "recognize" each other by displaying a "ring", those demons and priest of old must have similarly "recognized" each other by virtue of a similar sort of "ring."

So, as puzzling as the story from Josephus sounds, it's just that men typically look in the wrong direction for answers. We tend to think that the "ring" had some sort of mystical power. Whereas, in fact, it had no power at all. All the power came from the common shared "secret knowledge" that both the Priest and demons had, and the "ring" was just a form of "communication" between members of this old sect, that they knew how to find each other when they wanted. All Eleazar the Priest was saying to the demons, was "I know who you guys are, where you meet, the location of your temple or lodge, and how to find you, so you better quit possessing these men, or else!"

In another part of the Histories, Josephus tells us that Eleazar was "a giant of a man", i.e. physically huge, so that he would be no one to mess with in the flesh. In the same way night clubs employ physically large men today to play the role of "bouncer", Eleazar would have been like the "bouncer" of the lodge, the one that kept and enforced the discipline in the sect.

The "ring" as a form of recognition.

That must have come down through thousands of years as a standard mode of recognition within secret orders, even Freemasonry uses it today.

The more we find out about Freemasons mode of recognition, practices, and rituals, etc.., the more sense all of this history written about by the old scribes makes.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GreatOwl

I never said all Masons have been good, but I'm saying that there is not a policy or teaching that says we lie to each other as a matter of practice.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Does it really make sense to you that Freemasons "recognize" other Freemasons because they wear a ring that could be purchased and worn by anyone?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The "ring" as a form of recognition.

That must have come down through thousands of years as a standard mode of recognition within secret orders, even Freemasonry uses it today.

The more we find out about Freemasons mode of recognition, practices, and rituals, etc.., the more sense all of this history written about by the old scribes makes.

And you can recognize that someone is engaed if the have an engagement ring, or married if they have a wedding ring, or graduated from high school, college or a military academy if they have anyone of those rings, etc, etc.

Do any of those have anything to do with the irrelevant story of demons or is just fraternal rings you have a boner for?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Technically shade is caused by light... A shadow.

In essence darkness only exists because there is light.

Recognition of light and dark is only one step though....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1smootha

Does it really make sense to you that Freemasons "recognize" other Freemasons because they wear a ring that could be purchased and worn by anyone?

Well, of course, the "ring" only suggests the person might be a mason. Hence the need for the handshake to confirm.

Eleazar did not only show his "ring" to the demons, he deliberately put that ring to the "nose" of the possessed man to indicate somewhat more information, that he knew how they got in there to take possession. So, the ring is just to get the attention of the other entity, some other action is required to confirm.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Do any of those have anything to do with the irrelevant story of demons or is just fraternal rings you have a boner for?

I only mentioned the "ring" because a Freemason here brought it up, and declared that it was one of the ways he recognized another mason. I have never worn a masonic ring myself, so I'm not sure of what effect, advantage, or disadvantage, there is in displaying such. But, I have heard that displaying the Compass and Square on your car license plates usually protects the driver from being pulled over for trivial things like speeding or mistaken left turns etc..so, it's certainly something to think about, since I do drive a lot. One day I'll just have to check out that theory.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

But, I have heard that displaying the Compass and Square on your car license plates usually protects the driver from being pulled over for trivial things like speeding or mistaken left turns etc..so, it's certainly something to think about, since I do drive a lot. One day I'll just have to check out that theory.

LOL...My Masonic license plate has never got me out of a speeding ticket or parking ticket. Hell, my family name has got me out of speeding, but not my Masonic affiliation.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Well, of course, the "ring" only suggests the person might be a mason. Hence the need for the handshake to confirm.

Once again, since you have seemed to have missed it, the handshake is the last thing any of us do to confirm someone's membership. As I said before there is a verbal exhange that can easily confirm membership which makes it unnecessary to even give any of the grips.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I only mentioned the "ring" because a Freemason here brought it up...

Uh, yeah, that was me.

But, I have heard that displaying the Compass and Square on your car license plates usually protects the driver from being pulled over for trivial things like speeding or mistaken left turns etc..so, it's certainly something to think about, since I do drive a lot. One day I'll just have to check out that theory.

I do not have a Square and Compasses on my car, but I will admit that my Fraternal Order of Police shield that I keep above the dashboard has gotten me out of tickets and it only costs me $25 a year dues.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Once again, since you have seemed to have missed it, the handshake is the last thing any of us do to confirm someone's membership. As I said before there is a verbal exhange that can easily confirm membership which makes it unnecessary to even give any of the grips.

Yes, I forgot, there are passwords too.

For example, the Priest Eleazar first showed his "ring", then he put it near the "nose" of the possessed man, and then he "said something", a strange incantation, that one could easily recognize as a unique "passphrase", i.e. different from everyday speech, and which was meaningless to the bystanders, but understood by the demons.

So, the order of recognition probably goes the same way in masonry, "show ring" --> "say something unique like password or passphrase" --> "handshake".

So, the handshake is the last thing done in the ritual of the recognition.

That, I get.

edit on 29-8-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

So you believe that Demons are involved in masonry? operative or speculative?

I mean, that would explain those gargoyles on older buildings.
[hidden text]
Attention all masons! Satan/Lucifer wants to have a conference call at 5:30pm EST. Please use code 43 at log in. that is all. [/hidden text]
edit on 29-8-2012 by network dude because: Oh Snap! my text didn't get hidden! Our secret is out!!!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Jeez, I had a meeting last night and now a conference call??? I'll be having beer tonight, unlike last night(Our lodge is dry) so if our meeting lasts as long as last night and I start sluring my words, you'll know why!
edit on 29-8-2012 by KawRider9 because: Forgot to give the pass word and hand shake. Ooga booga shim sham. Thumb to nose, wiggling fingers.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
Attention all masons! Satan/Lucifer wants to have a conference call at 5:30pm EST.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

You know, of course, that Freemasonry evolved out of the Cult of Mithra, with the same closed room from sunlight and three pillars, etc..and that cult had the Father of Saturn, or Satan, as it's head. The word "Mithra" itself came from a Persian word that meant "contract" or "pact", so when one said you had made a "pact with the devil" or a "contract with Satan or the Father of Saturn" it had a real world meaning, at least in old times, that you really made a deal with the head of this old cult. All those who made this pact with the chief, became "Mithra" buddies, a word that etymology says evolved into "mates". So, when you said "me and me mates are going to meet" it was code for meeting with the devil, etc.., and, of course, Pirates took up this slang, which is only natural, since Persian Pirates brought the cult of Mithra to Rome, from where it spread. It's not surprising, therefore that Freemasons would think of "Satan" in jesting about themselves. Little do they know how accurate they are, in historical terms, by raising his name to their lips.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
GreatOwl.....WOW just WOW!

Have you ever a clue of what Freemasonry is? PLEASE do research on the things you claim to be factual information before addressing. Not hearsay research, I'm not talking about who "told you type" of information either. It is very obvious that the way you critique your applied applications to the Freemasons on this board came from a loaded source with blinders on. I'm not referring to the Bible btw. You can't quote and apply scripture in the manner of which you are trying to do. Have you considered the very least the Old and New Testaments? The Book? The Time Frame? The law of the land at that particuliar time? Who said it? Why the author said it? Who the author was addressing? You are throwing Bible versus around, making blanket statements and using examples that is non compatable with how you FEEL Freemasonry is.

Answer me this; They've (whom ever they are) have taken Prayer out of schools. One of the reasons why is Christians end their Prayer in reference or acknowledgement to Jesus Christ. This is a problem because not everyone is a Christian. So in order to "Please" everyone they took Prayer out of schools so that children/families can practice their religion on their own private time.

SO using your logic and backed by your application of scripture and Bible verse All those children and the people who took prayer out of school and the non Christians are going to HELL? How do you know what's in the hearts of others? How do you Know if someone is going to Hell or not?

and another thing:

Are you sure YOU are not in a Cult? Bible beaters love to say Freemasonry is a cult but have no clue of how it works. Think about this....You are saying that only your Religion is right and everybody elses is wrong. And that if they don't convert, believe the same as you do and are NOT Christians then they are going to hell. So in a way that is saying you and your Religion that you are apart of is trying to acheive this One World Religion.

Also:

You may not want to hear this or know this but research you own church or whatever. I'm not talking about the current pastor or minister. I'm talking about the very person who founded your church. You may find that he himself is/was a Freemason. Not that that has anything to do with one another. But you feel some type of way about Freemasonry. What will you do if infact you find out the man started your church was a Freemason?
edit on 29-8-2012 by Noble01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

My friend, if ignorance is bliss, you mus be one happy SOB.
Be blissful!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason[

Why does someone feel the need to join a club with secret handshakes, passwords and odd rituals when all they really want to do is be a charitable, moral person? This can be acheived by not cheating on your wife and adopting a polar bear or something... Simples!

Apparently you dont even have strippers

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noble01
GreatOwl.....WOW just WOW!

Have you ever a clue of what Freemasonry is?

I'm not particularly religious. Though, I do read a lot of religious texts. But, Freemasons tell us who they are from their own behavior, practices and symbols.

Why, for example, does the masonic lodge exclude the light of the sun? Why rooms without windows? Do you know that the Cult of Mithra had exactly this requirement for their meeting place. In the old days, they picked caves, or dug large caverns in the ground. The exclusion of "light" is very symbolic. The need to operate in the "dark" is telling. Think of how the Church meets, by contrast, with rooms filled with sunlight entering through stained glass windows. A person still can't see into the Church, through those windows, so it's not about privacy, it's about light.

The need to exclude the "light" while doing "good" works. That's a paradox.

So, we don't need to quote scriptures. The histories written by scribes is sufficient to link modern practices with antient ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join