It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would my grandad have known as a 3rd degree mason?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have recently found out that my grandad was a member the freemasons (or some form of masonry at least).

Sadly, he passed away about ten years ago but I have aquired some of his old army medals and stuff only to be surprised to see there were 3 medals in a pouch, one saying 'iinitiated', one saying 'passed' and the last one saying 'raised'.

On the front of one of the medals says 'Grand Lodge of England'.

The date of 'inititation' was early 1972 and he was 'raised' in 1975.

I don't have much knowledge of freemasonry, I'm assuming at a 3rd degree level he wouldn't have have known that much given the ranks rise all the way to 33rd degree?

So, what would he have known at this level, what kind of stuff would he have been involved in?

Asking family I've been told my nan didn't like him going because she believed they all just went to see strippers/get drunk etc

edit on 15-8-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
3rd degree? He'd have known to keep his mouth shut...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
He would know the grips and passwords of a Master Mason. Pretty cool huh?

He would also know of the journey that our fore fathers traveled.

Oh yeah, he's also know where the treasure rooms are.

And sadly, there are no strippers.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Star for you, that was pretty funny!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There are supposedly 33 degrees so third is pretty far removed from the ultimate truths.

My grandfather as well was a mason and i have considered joining up myself.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
And sadly, there are no strippers.

Yeah well, they do have loads of booze in the Lodge bars. At least they do in my local one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I don't know where you are located in this world. The best answers to your question is actually visiting a local lodge in your community. Asking this on a message board you are surely to be clowned and told misinformation. If what you've said is true, then this is sensitve information and should be handle in a serious manner. Then come back to these boards and give us an account. You will find that your grandfather was a part of a beautiful organisation, that put family first, cared about his community and is charitable in their dealings.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Having just done a little research, the Grand Lodge of England has 3 degrees. Although I'm assuming that is just how high they go in the public sphere.

I just find it interesting my grandad would have gone to these places. I think I'd rather preserve the memory of a nice, white haired man who used to tell me stories about his time in the army and who joined the GLE for friends and something to do, rather than be part of an evil occult etc

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulshn
There are supposedly 33 degrees so third is pretty far removed from the ultimate truths.

My grandfather as well was a mason and i have considered joining up myself.

see my post to the OP

If you don't at least inquire and continue to believe as you do then I'd say you are not ready and glad you only considered....at the time.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The third degree is the degree of Master Mason and is the highest. All other degrees, orders and titles are appendant, or ancillary. They are lateral moves.

He would have learned about things like faith, hope and charity. He would have believed in the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. He would have known how to apply the lessons of temperance, prudence, justice and fortitude to daily life.

He likely would have contributed to charity and helped others.

He was in all likelihood a good man.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noble01
I don't know where you are located in this world. The best answers to your question is actually visiting a local lodge in your community. Asking this on a message board you are surely to be clowned and told misinformation. If what you've said is true, then this is sensitve information and should be handle in a serious manner. Then come back to these boards and give us an account. You will find that your grandfather was a part of a beautiful organisation, that put family first, cared about his community and is charitable in their dealings.

England.

I do know of them and where some are but they don't seem to be the place to go and knock to ask info on

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
Having just done a little research, the Grand Lodge of England has 3 degrees. Although I'm assuming that is just how high they go in the public sphere.

I just find it interesting my grandad would have gone to these places. I think I'd rather preserve the memory of a nice, white haired man who used to tell me stories about his time in the army and who joined the GLE for friends and something to do, rather than be part of an evil occult etc

Do you believe your Gdad was evil? Or you sure he was a member of GLOE?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
The third degree is the degree of Master Mason and is the highest. All other degrees, orders and titles are appendant, or ancillary. They are lateral moves.

He would have learned about things like faith, hope and charity. He would have believed in the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. He would have known how to apply the lessons of temperance, prudence, justice and fortitude to daily life.

He likely would have contributed to charity and helped others.

He was in all likelihood a good man.

That's good to know, thanks for sharing that information

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noble01

Do you believe your Gdad was evil? Or you sure he was a member of GLOE?

No, I think he was a good man. The medals say Grand Lodge of England so I'm sure that is the one. 3 medals in total- initiated, passed and raised.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

Look up your local Lodge on the internet, my own local Lodge here has a lovely website that gives friendly advice on email queries for joining members and advice on how to contact the Lodges secretary. Not that I'm trying to recruit you, I haven't got the right tackle in the trou department.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Okay ask a man whom you know to be a Freemason. One whom you feel comfortable approaching with this matter. I only ask, because I don't want you to get the wrong idea of who we are, and what we do. There are a lot of lies and misinformation out here about our Fraternity that could be easily solved. Right now you are in a position to at least help solve them. I understand you believe as you do, But wouldn't you like to be proven wrong or not believe as you do about "those evil masons"...lol? You could bring some truth and understanding amongst your circles including family and friends.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

He was as high up as you can get. There is no degree higher than the sublime degree of Master mason. If you are interested I suggest you contact the lodge he was raised at and ask if anyone there knew him. You might find some men who were friends with him and you could learn a bit about who he was. Masons are always happy to help a family member of a brother. Or anyone else for that matter.

That group was labeled the greatest generation for a reason.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

according to the Mason's....

To be a respectable community figure that smiles when greeting people, and shaking hands with other one's in an odd way to confirm their rank in the group.

Mike

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
He was a high level mason.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I don't have much knowledge of freemasonry, I'm assuming at a 3rd degree level he wouldn't have have known that much given the ranks rise all the way to 33rd degree?

In the Grand Lodge of England, the 3rd degree is the highest degree, including the Supreme Order of the Holy Royal Arch.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join