It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Judge Won't Stop State Voter ID Law: (Be ready to show ID in November!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I would like to honestly see the legitimate argument against voter ID laws. Who, over 18, Doesn't have a form of picture ID?

You have to have ID to smoke and drink, or drive. These three things I'm pretty sure encompass 98% of all Americans over the age of 18.

So please, explain to me who's being disenfranchised here other than illegal immigrants and/or voter fraud perpetrators.

And not blanket statements, real cases that make sense.

Elderly people have ID else they would not be able to apply for any social programs. Hell, I'd even take a valid Social Security Card.

I lived in AZ for 4 years, Yuma to be more exact. This is one of the "snow bird" capitals of the world.

Guess what all of the elderly people had there - driver's licenses.

And the argument "now they have to take a bus to the DMV"... if we're that worried about those poor old soles making it to the DMV, why do we not let them VOTE from home? At a permanent address on file for that person?

The only people who complain about Voter ID laws are those who benefit from voter fraud.
edit on 16-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Here ya go from WIKI Fraud

Go to Jail

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Doesn't every legal US citizen have some type of ID ?
If yes, then what's the problem ? Do you want illegal citizens to vote ? Do yo uwant dead people to show up on the lists and have certain people travel by bus from county to county and vote like 50 times each in the name of other folks who don't bother showing up to vote at all ? Do you want anonymous people to vote 50 times each ?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Choice777

Actually no.. Contrary to some of the posts there is no law that requires an individual in the United States to have a government issued ID. So long as they don't drive they are fine. However, businesses that are governed by restrictions (alcohol / tobbaco / gambling / etc) can refuse service / sales to individuals who dont have proper id to veriufy they can legally do something.

A US citizen has whats essentially dual citizenship. A person is a resident of the state they reside in, even if they cross a state line.

If you leave the country, which deals with international agreements which places it in the realm of federal powers, you are a Citizen of the United States - hence the reason why your state issued ID has the State and your passport has your country.

Does anyone know if there Pennsylvania law is the same as Texas? Texas law was upheld because the state is issuing the ids for voting free of charge to those who cannot afford it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The SCOTUS ruled that requiring ID to vote is not unconstitutional.

Justice John Paul Stevens, who announced the judgment of the court and wrote an opinion in which Chief John G. Roberts Jr. and Anthony M. Kennedy joined, alluded to — and brushed aside — complaints that the law benefits Republicans and works against Democrats, whose ranks are more likely to include poor people or those in minority groups.

The justifications for the law “should not be disregarded simply because partisan interests may have provided one motivation for the votes of individual legislators,” Justice Stevens wrote.

The Democrats have not shown that minorities, or elderly, or poor will be disenfranchised because of voter ID, and they certainly have not shown that voter ID is put into place for voter suppression. Especially when they are free (to the recipient). And the "they might not have transportation" argument is a fallacy. If they can get to the voting booth, they can get to a voter ID registry.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The push back from liberals on this subject is unbelievable.

Ensuring that each and every voter presents a valid form of state or federal ID, prevents fraud at the polls from any side involved.

If someone is disabled, stranded, or too lazy to go vote in person, go vote absentee, I had to for the 20 years I was in the service.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You know what's funny?

Reading all the whining and crying about getting a voter ID card. Wow, you don't have a car and there's no way to get across town to get one.

Sure, I bet that's the case.

I was in Iraq in 2005 when everyone there was voting. You know, when people voted, their finger was stained with ink.

Insurgents were firing up voting centers. We were told NOT to engage; it was to be a hands-off election.

Still, people came out in droves, they risked their LIVES to vote.

So, carry on with all the sobbing about going across town to get an ID card.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Here's a challenge:

Those of you crying about "voter fraud", please show me proof that it's an issue. Figures. Numbers. Data. Anything!

You won't find it, because it isn't an issue. Unless you count political appointees in Florida handing elections over to their party bosses in exchange for a job.

Funny how all the supposed "voter fraud" onnly seems to be happening in swing states this year.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
Here's a challenge:

Those of you crying about "voter fraud", please show me proof that it's an issue. Figures. Numbers. Data. Anything!

You won't find it, because it isn't an issue. Unless you count political appointees in Florida handing elections over to their party bosses in exchange for a job.

Funny how all the supposed "voter fraud" onnly seems to be happening in swing states this year.

Here's a challenge:

Reach into your wallet, and pull out your ID.

Was that so hard?

Another challenge:

Read the thread.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Here I thought you were too smart to be a birther. Seriously?

I didn't ask if the National ID existed.

I asked if you readily supported a National ID system for everyone to vote to prevent fraud.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You say the system is broken, yet you expect students, vets, elderly and the disabled to find their way to the MVA in order to vote.

And not everyone lives in YOUR area. Last time I voted I had to drive 8 miles to my poling station. I lived in teh country. The MVA is about an hour away.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Correction: Unconstitutional for Indiana. Pennsylvania is being rushed to the Supreme court and may end up being the devisive case.

Also, remember that this is the same Supreme Court that allows you to be searched by police officers without just cause.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

So you want us to be like Iraq?

edit on 16-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The usual right wing hypocrisy: The Government is too big and evil except when it is controlling people you don't like.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

There must be a an IQ maximum to be right wing.

You said you live in the snowbird capital. Snowbirds live in AZ so they can drive north fro the summer and back for the winter. So the demographics of YOUR town, is going to be seniors that drive.

Seniors who don't drive, let their licenses expire.

BTW, four states are advocating removing early and absentee voting. See how this snowball starts rolling? They are citing amdinistrative costs, yet will pay millions to check IDs.
edit on 16-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

Equally puzzling is Simpson’s faith in the Commonwealth’s ability to issue a sufficient number of photo ID’s in time for the November election. The Commonwealth’s estimates of the number of registered voters who lack photo ID has varied wildly – from 82,000 to 750,000. Yet Commonwealth Secretary Carol Aichele testified that only enough money has been allocated to provide ID’s for 75,000 voters – which is insufficient to cover even the Commonwealth’s lowest number.

Majority Leader Michael Turzai, that the new voter ID law will “win the election for Romney

It steam rolls the Constitution to oppress thousands of voters because you want your guy to win.

Brennen Center for Justice

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 3litechasr

There hasn't been any fraud, so why have government intervention when none is needed? Not to mention, this will now cost Pennsylvania over 5 million.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
As a Canadian I'm honestly confused, we get our voter card in the mail then bring it to a polling station with our ID so we can vote. Do American's just show up at a polling station, grab a piece of paper, go behind the curtain and write an X and they're done? Like how do they know the person isn't a convicted felon or some tourist walking off the street if they don't verify the identity of the person?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm throwing the BS Flag on every one of those articles you posted. People CAN get a valid photo ID by simply following the procedures that were put into place following 9-11. There are numerous avenues by which people can get the required documentation.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

By "read the thread", I assume you mean, "Stop disagreeing with me!"

I did read it.

Let's get voter ID laws in the poor southern states instead of the ones that threaten Republican superiority. Oh, wait - that would keep the poor people that vote Republican from casting their votes. Never mind, then.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join