It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Judge Won't Stop State Voter ID Law: (Be ready to show ID in November!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

A Pennsylvania judge on Wednesday refused to stop a tough new voter identification law from going into effect, which Democrats say will suppress votes among President Barack Obama's supporters. Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson said he wouldn't grant an injunction that would have halted the law requiring each voter to show a valid photo ID.

The Republican-penned law — which passed over the objections of Democrats — has ignited a furious debate over voting rights as Pennsylvania is poised to play a key role in deciding the presidential contest in November. Opponents had asked Simpson to block the law from taking effect in this year's election as part of a wider challenge to its constitutionality.

Republicans defend the law as necessary to protect the integrity of the election. But Democrats say the law will make it harder for the elderly, minorities, the poor and college students to vote, as part of a partisan scheme to help the Republican challenger, Mitt Romney, beat Democratic Obama.

Source: www.wfmz.com... aign=Feed%3A+WFMZ-TV%2F69News%2FBreakingNews+%28WFMZ-TV+69NEWS%3A+Breaking+News%29

Thank God. Lets hope the appeals fail. You see the items I high lighted Yellow & Red?

Complete and utter B.S. First the Dems messed up by NOT saying it would hurt Everyone... Only Obama Supporters. How Racist or Wrong is that? Are they not worried about a Person individual vote REGARDLESS of who they decide to vote for? No.

And for the "people effected". What a crock..... The ID's are FREE. You just have to get off your lazy ass to go get one!!!!! If you can't do that, the ID people will come to you! Just call!>

Stop making excuses and acting like children. Man up and vote. Let the chips fall where they may.

I know a cop from Philly that hasn't personlly voted in over 30 years. Once he joined the Police Union-he was told not to go to the voting booth again. But, he checked and he voted everytime over those 30 years....!!! This election will be the his first in that same amount of time.... And he isn't voting for Obama....
)

I think you will see PA swing far RIGHT for a long time to come. Kiss it good-bye Obama and Co.

You know. You would think Mr. Eric "Pinnochio" Holder would be estatic at these laws after what happened to him. This way he can be sure these Republican based journalist don't embarrass the crap out of him and his policies again:

edit on 8/15/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Yet, the real sources of modern voter fraud continues. Hacked voting machines and mail in ballots. At least you will sleep better thinking illegal immigrants and dead people won't be voting.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well since it's common sense to have to validate your district and address...
And the majority of politicians fail to show any sign of actual honesty in CONgress...
Added with the lack of common sense in some of "We the people" today...
You would think that ALL voters have to show an ID just to prove they are in the right district.
I have to show my ID just to make sure I am on the "list" and my address is correct to vote.
To me, it's a requirement and I appreciate the cause.

So why wouldn't all voting booths require that ID must be shown in order to vote?

To prevent any fraudulant voting?

No way!
Can't be!
Say it ain't so!
There's no fraud in voting these days!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Yet, the real sources of modern voter fraud continues. Hacked voting machines and mail in ballots. At least you will sleep better thinking illegal immigrants and dead people won't be voting.

Showing id when you vote is one step closer to eleminating the fraud problem. If a person wants to vote then getting and presenting identification isn't too much to expect.
Kudos Pennsylvania !

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
What the Democrats meant to say was having to show ID suppresses the votes of non-American citizens, dead persons, family pets, and those liberal schizo's who like to vote multiple times.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Maybe I´m already brainwashed but when you get to vote in Germany, you get a card that you bring to the voting room, with you passport or ID and then you are allowed to vote. I see nothing sinister about that. Am I missing something?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The entire voter ID movement is utter B.S.! Furthermore, if you think for one second that these new laws are being enacted to prevent voter fraud, you are just ignoring the facts. Which by the way, seems to be the prevailing tactic for the new TP/GOP.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind providing some evidence of any substantial in-person voter fraud you plan to eliminate by enacting these voter ID laws? Even the legal team representing the state of PA. in this matter admitted that they were unable to uncover evidence of in-person voter fraud, as this quote from the article you sourced in your OP clearly states;

www.wfmz.com...

The original rationale in Pennsylvania's Republican-controlled Legislature for the law — to prevent election fraud — played little role in the case before Simpson since the state's lawyers acknowledged that they are "not aware of any incidents of in person voter fraud."

So, why the big push to enact new voter ID laws? Well, how about we ask the leader of the republican controlled house in the state of PA., (where this law was enacted without the support of a single democratic vote) just what is the "real" reason for enacting these laws?

As fate would have it, here he is on YouTube spelling it out for those who are too ignorant to recognize the truth for what it really is. How about a big welcome for the Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader, State Rep. Mike Turazi.

The truth of the matter is that very little, if any, in-person voter fraud actually takes place during our elections in this country and most of those incidents are actually mistakes made by either the ineligible voter and/or the election official in charge of documenting votes cast at the polling place.

For instance, my father and I share the same name and live in the same precinct so every time we've voted for the past 22 years, the election officials at our polling place have mistakenly marked the other's name when one of us votes. Even when we point out the mistake, they make no effort to correct it. Now that my father died this year, I fully expect the TP/GOP to utilize any future mistakes of this kind as evidence that dead people are indeed voting. What a friggin joke that is! Now, they want me to provide them with voter ID because they're too stupid to mark the registry correctly and I'm supposed to believe that this new measure will solve their incompetence issues? Yeah Right!

These new voter ID laws have nothing to do with voter fraud and they have everything to do with voter suppression. Now, why would the TP/GOP be so adamant about getting these new restrictions in place prior to the November elections? Because when the people get to vote, the TP/GOP loses, that's why!

Cenk Uygur breaks it down pretty clearly here;

edit on 15-8-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter

Showing id when you vote is one step closer to eleminating the fraud problem. If a person wants to vote then getting and presenting identification isn't too much to expect.
Kudos Pennsylvania !

What fraud problem? Please show me evidence of any in-person voter fraud substantial enough to sway any election held here in the U.S.! You can't because there isn't any! Don't facts mean anything to you people?

Furthermore, it's not about whether or not a person "wants" to vote, it's their Right! If you or anybody else wants to infringe on that Right in any way, the least you could do is to prove that the fraud you intend to eliminate actually exists.

I think that the point being made by Kaploink was that the only real and substantial voter fraud taking place in our elections is being orchestrated by manipulating electronic voting machines across the nation and absolutely nothing is being said or done to correct it.

Unless a case can be made to substantiate in-person voter fraud at a level high enough to actually affect an election, then the implementation of voter ID laws serve no purpose other than to suppress the vote of individuals who don't currently possess a qualifying photo ID.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Congratulations on supporting the obstacles for citizens to vote.

Because that is what you are rooting for. A handfaul of actual documented fraud does not warrant barring thousands of legal citizens to vote.

Saying that it is easy to go to the DMV shows how ignorant you are because it is not uniform from state to state. In my state, it is a three hour wait, horrendous lines, and it is expensive.

So you tell all those vets who don't have transporation that you don't care that they fought for freedom and that you think they should know have to find a way to the DMV, and PAY for their license, because you fear fraud more than you fear the erroding of constitutional rights of citizens.

I don't EVER want to see you on a another thread crying about the erosion of constitutional rights when you started a thread supporting it.
edit on 15-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Good news, though it's probably not the end of the challenge...

This part of the article shows that this isn't trying to suppress any voting eligible Pennsylvanians..

Gov. Tom Corbett responded to the court ruling: "“Now that the court has upheld the constitutionality of the law, we can continue to focus our attention on ensuring that every Pennsylvania citizen who wants to vote has the identification necessary to make sure their vote counts.’’

Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele, whose department oversees elections in Pennsylvania, also issued a statement: “I am pleased Judge Simpson affirmed the constitutionality of the voter ID law. This law will reinforce the principle of one person, one vote. By giving us a reliable way to verify the identity of each voter, the voter ID law will enhance confidence in our elections.

“We will continue our outreach efforts to make sure all legal Pennsylvania voters know about the law, and know how to get a free ID to vote if needed.”

Free ID's, and an effort to make sure that ALL legal voters will be able to secure the required id..

Seems like a reasonable way to handle this and since being able to vote is not a right, but a privilege, leaving some of the responsibility to the voters is fair in my book..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Kudos Pennsylvania !

look it's pretty simple... republicans don't want anyone that will help Obama win the election to vote...all you people out there in america that do not have a republican-OKed picture ID are not americans.
republicans made sure that those people have no right to vote...talk about traitors

an idea...have the republican party pay FOR ALL the voter ID's needed, no exceptions

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yes of course it is Your Constitutional right to vote.

It is also Your Responsibility to maintain that right.

Why should normal people bow down to people who don't have the right ?

Want to vote ?........ show Your frick'n I.D.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I love the liberal hand-wringing over this! It exposes their need to rely on illegal votes to get anyone in office.

Let's look at this logically. I need to show a legal ID for the following:
- To buy licquor, beer or wine
- To buy tobacco products
- To obtain a marriage license
- To obtain a permit
- To open a bank account
- To obtain a firearm
- To buy a house/car/big ticket item
- To obtain insurance
- To see a doctor
- To board a plane
- To cash a check
- Etc, Etc, Etc...

And people want to piss and moan about having to show one to vote? Really!?? Especially when the state if offering them for FREE and spending money on awareness. Where is the logic in this backlash???

I support PA and EVERY other state that is implementing voter ID laws!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Kudos Pennsylvania !

look it's pretty simple... republicans don't want anyone that will help Obama win the election to vote...all you people out there in america that do not have a republican-OKed picture ID are not americans.
republicans made sure that those people have no right to vote...talk about traitors

an idea...have the republican party pay FOR ALL the voter ID's needed, no exceptions

Goof Lord... drop the hysterics!

Nobody's right to vote is being impacted. Go get your FREE ID and feel free to exercise your right to vote. What's the freaking problem?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Good news, though it's probably not the end of the challenge...

This part of the article shows that this isn't trying to suppress any voting eligible Pennsylvanians..

Gov. Tom Corbett responded to the court ruling: "“Now that the court has upheld the constitutionality of the law, we can continue to focus our attention on ensuring that every Pennsylvania citizen who wants to vote has the identification necessary to make sure their vote counts.’’

Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele, whose department oversees elections in Pennsylvania, also issued a statement: “I am pleased Judge Simpson affirmed the constitutionality of the voter ID law. This law will reinforce the principle of one person, one vote. By giving us a reliable way to verify the identity of each voter, the voter ID law will enhance confidence in our elections.

“We will continue our outreach efforts to make sure all legal Pennsylvania voters know about the law, and know how to get a free ID to vote if needed.”

Free ID's, and an effort to make sure that ALL legal voters will be able to secure the required id..

Seems like a reasonable way to handle this and since being able to vote is not a right, but a privilege, leaving some of the responsibility to the voters is fair in my book..

wrong..it is a right...do your research
en.wikipedia.org...

took me about 22 seconds...i guess you DO NOT believe in the constitutionj

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I was under the impression one already had to show ID to vote....??..

In my state (Virginia) at least in my local jurisdiction....we are always asked for ID when we vote. In my ten years of voting I have been asked every single time...

Don't see the problem anyways...

But it doesn't matter to me...I am no longer going to give my nod of approval to the establishment by voting in their "rigged" (in more ways than one...don't need to do it at the ballot box and fix the numbers every time...the 08 "election" proved that to me...they brainwashed people into voting for Obama via media...had everyone thinking he was the "savior of the country" psst...some of us seen through that garbage from day one) elections....
Might as well say, "well, as long as we have a new face and 'new policy'

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm avidly against recent efforts to use politics to impede certain demographics from voting or to sway the votes in the favor of one's party. Some specific examples that come to mind are the incidents in Florida and the early voting for military only in Chicago (I think that's where it was).

But I have no issue with an ID being required. If you care enough to vote then take the initiative. We are required to have an ID for a million other reasons. And it's really not that hard to get one. It's not like certain demographics are being denied the ability to obtain one.

Get your ID and vote. It's ludicrous to have an issue with this and one would think it would be pretty standard. I don't think I've ever even met one person in my entire life who doesn't have one. What a bunch of handwringing over nothing. IMHO.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Colorado requires ID to vote but has numerous forms that are valid. It's hardly a burden or barring anyone from voting.

www.sos.state.co.us...

If for some reason you can't manage to dig up any of the numerous forms of ID listed, you can pay $10.50 and get a state issued ID.

www.dmv.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Exactly! The people complaining about this are simply worried that their cheating isn't going to work anymore. Getting an ID isn't like tying to get a Ph.D in brain surgery. It's a couple of ours out of your day. You'll probably spend more time standing in line on election day than you will getting your ID.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I consider myself a left leaning moderate. However, when I cast a vote it is based on the candidate and the issues NOT on the party.

NOW!
Can someone explain to me why they have a problem showing a valid form of identification at the polls. Its just common sense to me. I don't want any BS response about showing an ID infringing on your right. If you go to the store and purchase something with a credit card or check the store has the right to ask for proper ID. Is that infringing on your right too? I actually welcome them doing that because it shows me they are trying to prevent fraudulent charges.

What adult in todays society does not carry a valid form of ID?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join