It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Top 10 "Shaking My Head" Fallacies of Posters On This Site

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyPenfriend
reply to post by gncnew

You seem to be quite the dandy. It's not really working for ya brother. You are trying too hard to sound smart. It is clear to see that you are a full body hair growing big feeted cave dwelling being.
edit on 15-8-2012 by MightyPenfriend because: (no reason given)

I live in a cave? Wth????

I'm very smart, and even more of an ass.

Guess that make me a smart ass...

And in case you missed it, I'm just on a roll today.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

If you were so smart, you wouldn't have some of the views you have.

But you sure are a smartass, I have to give you that.

T "Roll" on buddy.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
reply to post by gncnew

My top pet peeve is someone who says they have 10 (as in TEN, or one higher than nine) petty complaints and then lists ELEVEN.

Add number 12 then because on every thread someone always has to point out Little petty insignificant things like this. Always, and I have to remember there are ones under 21 that prowl the site.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

reply to post by gncnew

T "Roll" on buddy.

Interesting.. I wasn't aware you could gauge ones intelligence based upon their opinions... I'll have to remember that. Can you do me a favor though? Tell me which opinions make you smart and which make you not-smart?

I'm assuming you have some list or somethig else you couldn't be so definitive about it.

Usually, I equate someone's intellect based upon their ability to reason and understand another persons point of view. I don't measure it by the level of agreement I have with their views.

Glad you do though! At least one of us is not a dummy!
edit on 15-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

Usually, I equate someone's intellect based upon their ability to reason and understand another persons point of view.

At what point were you trying to understand another point of view when you sneakily crafted this post in order to call some specific conspiracy theories a logical phallacy?

Oh, I understand your point.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

reply to post by gncnew

Usually, I equate someone's intellect based upon their ability to reason and understand another persons point of view.

At what point were you trying to understand another point of view when you sneakily crafted this post in order to call some specific conspiracy theories a logical phallacy?

Oh, I understand your point.

Pointing out a logical fallacy isn't "not understanding" someone's opinion, it's pointing out a logic flaw in their way of thinking.

It's like telling someone that 2+2 doesn't equal 5, but instead equals 4.

There really isn't "understanding" that.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gncnew

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
The problem with user content board sites is always logical fallacies.

"I believe in aliens and anyone who doesn't is either an ill-informed sheeple or part of the shadow government!"

It's how it goes.

Separate the wheat from the chaff and pick your battles.

I find it much more pleasurable to point and laugh.. but - to each their own.

I absolutely love reading postings from a troll who is of average intelligence but believes he/she is a brilliant genius. It's rare to find one as convinced as you. This thread is truly golden and made my day due to the abundance of replies from the OP. The replies show that the OP has the belief that he/she is highly intellectual...while the substance and lack of wit where there was meant to be shows the opposite. I love it! You are a screaming example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

The hypothesized phenomenon was tested in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, both then of Cornell University.[2][5] Kruger and Dunning noted earlier studies suggesting that ignorance of standards of performance is behind a great deal of incompetence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing chess or tennis.

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
-Tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
-Fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
-Fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
-Recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill

Wiki
edit on 15-8-2012 by Debwe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Debwe

You are a screaming example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Lol so true. It's like watching a trainwreck happen before your eyes.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Debwe

LOL! Exactly...I enjoy it though. It's like watching one of those formula family comedy films...things keep going wrong and it's frustrating to watch yet you can't stop watching.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

reply to post by gncnew

Great, it started out somewhat reasonable but it ended in a propaganda piece, lol.

Well color me confused. Your ambiguous statement leaves much to imagination.

Or was that the point? To make an unsubstantiated and undefinable claim that shows you dot like my shoes?

You absolutely started out making sense, pointing out fallacies. Then suddenly, 7 through 11 switched to anyone disagreeing with official propaganda is nuts. Only the insane would think there could be such thing as giant conspiracies like the Manhattan project.

Plus, you did not understand the Spinal Tap reference, proving you are either some kind of spambot, or not American, or if you are American you are less than twelve years old. Top ten list that goes to eleven? Duh?

Wait, maybe you just can't count.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by gncnew

Sorry for what I'm sure will appear to biased against our liberal brothers and sisters, I promise it's not from a bad place.

How does this relate, at all, to someone being a "liberal" ?

Anyhoo... I do agree with some of your sentiments... but my friend, it actually sounds like you just don't want to here other peoples opinions. Which begs the question:

Why bother joining and using a site solely driving by user submitted opinion pieces?
edit on 15-8-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

Actually, I kind of fall into that category. I don't really want opinions outside of the project I am working on. Most of the time, people do not take the time to investigate with proper questions and reasoning; so my take is; why bother even conversing. I still value this site and I'm using it to coalesce my ideas; but they are my ideas and some people just want to keep it that way and stay out of bickering and fighting.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Debwe

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
The problem with user content board sites is always logical fallacies.

"I believe in aliens and anyone who doesn't is either an ill-informed sheeple or part of the shadow government!"

It's how it goes.

Separate the wheat from the chaff and pick your battles.

I find it much more pleasurable to point and laugh.. but - to each their own.

I absolutely love reading postings from a troll who is of average intelligence but believes he/she is a brilliant genius. It's rare to find one as convinced as you. This thread is truly golden and made my day due to the abundance of replies from the OP. The replies show that the OP has the belief that he/she is highly intellectual...while the substance and lack of wit where there was meant to be shows the opposite. I love it! You are a screaming example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

The hypothesized phenomenon was tested in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, both then of Cornell University.[2][5] Kruger and Dunning noted earlier studies suggesting that ignorance of standards of performance is behind a great deal of incompetence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing chess or tennis.

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
-Tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
-Fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
-Fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
-Recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill

Wiki

The key word in the posting above is PROPOSED. Proposed is different than validated.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

reply to post by gncnew

T "Roll" on buddy.

Interesting.. I wasn't aware you could gauge ones intelligence based upon their opinions... I'll have to remember that. Can you do me a favor though? Tell me which opinions make you smart and which make you not-smart?

I'm assuming you have some list or somethig else you couldn't be so definitive about it.

Usually, I equate someone's intellect based upon their ability to reason and understand another persons point of view. I don't measure it by the level of agreement I have with their views.

People forget, I do it to, we all forget that the internet leaves a gap. If you come online and attempt to decipher someone's postings you/we have to take into account the PERSON. We are all unique individuals with ideas and thoughts that span --- well, they span
If a person posts something and that person is not feeling well due to illness; it perhaps will show in the postings. When John Doe comes along and sees the posting he may or may not like it.

Let's say, for example, John Doe doesn't like a post and decides to "shoot one back". What John Doe does not know (this is an example) is that the person on the other end is an old man, worn out from raising his family, toiling every day, working hard, went through chemotherapy for cancer and can barely see. This is a fictitious person but we all must stop and realize there is a real live human being on the other end with feelings and thoughts and emotions. To me, that is the #1 biggest stumbling block for this site and other sites around the globe and cyberspace.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknownusername
The key word in the posting above is PROPOSED. Proposed is different than validated.

Hey gncnew(cough I mean unknownusername)...proving my point even further aren't you? Haha, you're too much. Thank you again for the entertainment. Have a good one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Two questions:

1. Is Dunning–Kruger a beer? I've never had it but it sounds German
  2. Are you trying to say I'm not as smart as I think I am?
  3. Were you born with no sense of humor or did you achieve that through hard work and dedication?

Wait... I said 2, and that's 3, just ignore one of them, your choice.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Debwe

I love when "intellectually superior" people get together to assure each other of just how superior they really are - especially by quoting fancy quasi-medical psycho conditions they learned in their Junior College classes while studying for a "business" degree.

The other part I like is laughing at your lack of humor. I've been a complete saucy ass in this thread, yet you two gems have seemed to find offense where none was offered. Well Done!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Debwe

And by the way... you've watched train wrecks? How terrible!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Debwe

Yeah!... lol, kind like watching you two feed of each others brilliance. You both are so mutually assured of your own "rightness" (I'm positive that's a word) that you now have built a great house of cards to sit in and point fingers at me....

Wait... I think that was one of my 10.

LOL! Exactly...I enjoy it though. It's like watching one of those formula family comedy films...things keep going wrong and it's frustrating to watch yet you can't stop watching.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

reply to post by gncnew

Great, it started out somewhat reasonable but it ended in a propaganda piece, lol.

Well color me confused. Your ambiguous statement leaves much to imagination.

Or was that the point? To make an unsubstantiated and undefinable claim that shows you dot like my shoes?

You absolutely started out making sense, pointing out fallacies. Then suddenly, 7 through 11 switched to anyone disagreeing with official propaganda is nuts. Only the insane would think there could be such thing as giant conspiracies like the Manhattan project.

Plus, you did not understand the Spinal Tap reference, proving you are either some kind of spambot, or not American, or if you are American you are less than twelve years old. Top ten list that goes to eleven? Duh?

Wait, maybe you just can't count.

Manhatten project wasn't a conspiracy - it was a top secret project to develop a weapon system. And I got the Spinal Tap ref... just didn't like their music - and the documentary "This is Spinal Tap".. .sorry, never watched it..

But maybe I am a spambot... or 12. And I most definitely can't count.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknownusername

reply to post by gncnew

T "Roll" on buddy.

People forget, I do it to, we all forget that the internet leaves a gap. If you come online and attempt to decipher someone's postings you/we have to take into account the PERSON. We are all unique individuals with ideas and thoughts that span --- well, they span
If a person posts something and that person is not feeling well due to illness; it perhaps will show in the postings. When John Doe comes along and sees the posting he may or may not like it.

Let's say, for example, John Doe doesn't like a post and decides to "shoot one back". What John Doe does not know (this is an example) is that the person on the other end is an old man, worn out from raising his family, toiling every day, working hard, went through chemotherapy for cancer and can barely see. This is a fictitious person but we all must stop and realize there is a real live human being on the other end with feelings and thoughts and emotions. To me, that is the #1 biggest stumbling block for this site and other sites around the globe and cyberspace.

Ahh... hey guy, how about you DON'T rain on our parade with your "logic", "reason", and "compassion". Empathy is for girls, everyone knows it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join