It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg yolk consumption almost as bad as smoking when it comes to atherosclerosis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
So the egg is the bad guy again. We haven't heard about eggs and butter for awhile, this will go on for a few years, then they will find something redeeming.

Smoking, bad. Egg yolks, bad. Why don't I just write down EVERYTHING I do from the moment I wake up to the time I go to bed so I can be told it's all wrong!!!

I see people eating egg whites and throwing away the yolk. I would throw away the egg white and eat the yolk! Of course, the ONLY way I would eat just the white part is with a ton of salt.

NOW they tell me that eating Ramen Noodles causes Fatty Liver. I have Fatty liver - I eat Ramen Noodles at least three times a week.

Eat wheat bread instead of white bread. Made this switch 30 years ago, only to be told recently that it has to be CRACKED wheat. Thirty years of trying to do something healthy - all for nothing.

Don't drink fluoridated tap water.

Don't eat real butter, so I switched to Country Crock. Yup, that hydrogenated oil is WORSE than real butter!

I give up!

Sorry for the rant.

edit on 8/16/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i feel sorry for all those people who will believe this crap. and we all know there will be people who believe it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by calendula

Haven't seen those articles yet. I knew about their content from researching this kind of stuff but reading this article and actually believing it without question would have saved me two weeks+ of research. Thing is I understand why now, reading this may not have stirred my interest to research these things in-depth. Good refresher.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I never changed anything in my diet because someone said it wasn't good for me except when an old person said I shouldn't be eating something. I believed an eighty year old more than the doctors and scientists.
Probably because the 80 year olds were healthy and had all their marbles, something that you can't say about a lot of the younger generations.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Egg yolks full of cholesterol which is used to repair damaged arteries. What causes the inflammation and damage? Sugar, refined carbs...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by winnar

If an egg is scrambled, the egg and white mixed before heating, it forms chemistry which causes much more inflammation in the body than if they are kept separate while cooking. An over easy or over hard egg is much less inflamatory than a scrambled egg. One article I read before it explained it and named the chemicals formed. I don't have a need for the names of the chemicals, I just needed to know about the differences related in food preparation. Some recipies call for separation of egg and yolk to mix at different stages in the recipe. The following of these old recipes methods is critical for good health. Some things are not told in these old recipes, it was assumed the person had training by their mother. I needed to understand what was going on so got a little carried away with my learning.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

What Oxidizes the Cholesterol in Eggs....

So this says that "spray drying" of eggs at "obscenely high temperatures and pressure" -- otherwise cooking is fine.

I think the oil that is cooked with the eggs is probably more of an issue -- butter is high in estrogen but red beets counteract estrogen. A little trick there.

So scrambled eggs don't need oil so are considered healthier but the real issue I think is how long the eggs are cooked.

I heard that actually you just want to cook the white of the egg and leave the yolk runny. This will preserve the lecithin in the eggs -- Eggs are the best source of lecithin.

Lecithin is known for helping to prevent arteriosclerosis, protecting against cardiovascular disease, improving brain function, facilitating repair of the liver and promoting energy. Lecithin is a fat emulsifier. It enables fats such as cholesterol to be dispersed in water and removed from the body. It also protects vital organs and arteries from fatty buildup. Most commercial lecithin is derived from soy. The best food source of lecithin is egg yolks. Part of the controversy surrounding eggs and cholesterol revolves around the lecithin content of the egg yolk. Since egg yolks are an excellent source of lecithin they are considered beneficial in reducing cholesterol only if the cooking method preserves the lecithin content. Cooking at high temperatures denatures or destroys the lecithin. This means that any form of cooking that results in runny yolks preserves the lecithin and makes the egg beneficial in reducing cholesterol. Egg yolks cooked solid do not have the same benefit. Documented health benefits of lecithin include the following. Lecithin helps to prevent and treat atherosclerosis by lowering total cholesterol, lowering triglycerides, lowering LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol. Lecithin reduces the risk of gallstones and in some cases has reduced the size of existing gallstones. Lecithin helps to repair liver damage caused by alcohol consumption. Lecithin also helps psoriasis that is related to faulty fat metabolism. Lecithin is critical in the body’s ability to utilize the fat soluble vitamins A, D, K, and E. Adding lecithin to your diet could help with utilization of any and all of these essential vitamins.

link

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake

scienceblog.com

Newly published research led by Dr. David Spence of Western University, Canada, shows that eating egg yolks accelerates atherosclerosis in a manner similar to smoking cigarettes
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/15/2012 by semperfortis because: Fixed Link

What a load of rubbish!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

By examining the info you have just given me, I feel that the evidence these scientists are giving is flawed because of their lack of knowledge of cooking practices relevant to health. I like my eggs over easy.
: It sounds like that is the best way, but there are probably times when eating the egg scrambled would be beneficial. There is good and bad to everything so it is impossible to say that scrambled eggs are bad.

Eating too much of anything is bad. The alternative replacement of cereals can cause problems also if overconsumption occurs. Any dried starch forms an anhydrate and too many anhydrates cause problems. I associate Anhydrate with rock, where the water has been squeezed out. We can't digest rock easily. By taking eggs out of the picture it means something needs to replace it which can make moderation more difficult.

The parameters of the research wasn't critical enough and the released statements did not show exact perameters. These tested people could have something else in common. The problem could be a minor egg allergy or even a cross reactivity between eggs and something else. Pepper can help a person heal but over peppering something will cause problems. It is a pretty strong cox 2 inhibitor. which can cause good or bad things to happen in the body. Pepper is not just pepin, it has other good and bad properties. Somedays pepper tastes real good to me while others I don't use any. If I find myself staring at the pepper, I pick it up and add it. If I don't notice it I probably don't need it. Our subconscious mind is very weird, it hides stuff from recognition and accentuates things we need. Deciphering what it is trying to tell us is a very time consuming project. But that's a whole different subject. So......How much pepper did these people put on their eggs? It can cause similar problems if combined with other cox 2 inhibitors in the diet.

Your contribution to the thread may help people understand how important different preparations of food are.
edit on 17-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake

scienceblog.com

Newly published research led by Dr. David Spence of Western University, Canada, shows that eating egg yolks accelerates atherosclerosis in a manner similar to smoking cigarettes
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/15/2012 by semperfortis because: Fixed Link

Egg yokes do not cause or accelerate atherosclerosis.

Atherosclerosis is an attempt by the body to save the life of a person with chronic acidosis...
...it works like this...
...the blood must maintain a strict pH or you die...
...to regulate this hydrogen ions (acids are made from them) must be pushed through artery walls...
...and when you push acid through an artery wall long enough you get erosions...
...and if the wall erodes too much your artery pops a leak and you bleed to death.

To stop you bleeding to death your clever body collects stuff including cholesterol...
...and uses it to plug the erosion before it begins to leak and kill you...
...sometimes the plugs/plagues get sorta thick and clog the artery.

Clever johnny come lately medical doctors examined the plagues and find cholesterol...
...and their pharmacuetical handlers develop statin drugs to reduce cholesterol...
...and doctors tell you rubbish like 'egg yokes' cause atherosclerosis...
...forgetting that brains are 90% cholesterol and need some or you eventually get alzheimers oops...
...and the body just makes what you don't eat anyway.

The problem is acidosis not 'egg yokes'.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
The problem is acidosis not 'egg yokes'.
I'm not too concerned about egg yolks, and I know what acidosis is. But what's your source for your claim that acidosis results in atherosclerosis?

I thought oxidized or rancid fats or oils might be a factor since it seems to have been proven in rats:

Atherosclerosis

Rats fed DHA-containing oils experienced marked disruptions to their antioxidant systems, as well as accumulated significant amounts of phospholipid hydroperoxide in their blood, livers and kidneys.[37] In another study, rabbits fed atherogenic diets containing various oils were found to undergo the greatest amount of oxidative susceptibility of LDL via polyunsaturated oils.[38] In a study involving rabbits fed heated soybean oil, "grossly induced atherosclerosis and marked liver damage were histologically and clinically demonstrated."

Therefore I'm more inclined to agree with this:

Originally posted by fulllotusqigong
I think the oil that is cooked with the eggs is probably more of an issue
According to the references I just posted, it certainly could be if the oil is oxidized at all, and even if it's not oxidized before you start cooking, certain methods of cooking might cause oxidation of the oil.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

We are really on the same page...
...there is a reason oils/fats are called 'fatty-acids'.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
reply to post by Arbitrageur

We are really on the same page...
...there is a reason oils/fats are called 'fatty-acids'.
I don't think so.

Acidosis is related to pH.

Rancid or oxidized fats/oils may cause athersclerosis even if pH remains normal, is my understanding.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Maybe eggs themselves are fine yolk and all but it is the GMO garbage that the factory farm hens are fed that is the root cause of the HD.
Peel off the layers and you find the truth.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Here is what other researchers think of this study

www.cbc.ca...

But Dr. Antonis Zampelos, a professor of human nutrition and the journal's expert on dietary matters, said Spence should have also tracked the intake of saturated fat, which is a proven cause of coronary disease. "The results are not as strong as the statement that came out," said Zampelos. "The results lack the greatest validity I would say. I'm not saying that this is not an interesting study," he said. "I'm saying that you can't really make such a strong statement about smoking."

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I started to eat more healthy a few months ago, lots of salads and fruit, and put eggs on my salads for the B12 vitamin, so now after reading this I wonder if I have done myself more harm, I was eating 2 boiled eggs a day for around five days a week.....I am learning every thing in moderation is probably best as I have also never felt so crap in my life lol...........

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join