It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State in danger of losing accrediation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Going from an top college to nothing in just a year. Absolutely amazing.

cnn.com

For people who are Penn State alumnia, their degrees have been tainted, when at the time they were going to a great school.

But absolute power corrupts absolutely, and to protect the precious football program, a huge scandal was covered up from top to bottom.

I am still on the fence if the college should lose its accrediation or not. Maybe with an all new adminstration and the football program under wraps, they should keep it and stick to academics for the time being.

I wonder how much the NFL pumps into the football program. Since they like to use schools as recruiting grounds. If maybe these kinds of partnerships should stop. I don't know much about it so I can only speculate.

The organization that grants academic accreditation to Penn State has warned the school that it is in danger of losing that crucial status in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, the university announced this week.

The move by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education is the latest blow for the beleaguered university, which has seen its reputation clobbered and its football program hobbled after investigators found school leaders did too little stop the abuse.

edit on Wed Aug 15 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags were needed

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I dont know how far I would go but Penn State does deserve "to take it up the a**" (metaphorically) for its role in protecting pedophiles and child rapists.
edit on 15-8-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

the school should be closed down.
they protected a child rapist to keep their football program going. all the management who helped hide the crime should be fined and or do jail time. we should send a message to all institutions that these things will not be tolerated.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So, the school has been levied a heavy fine, the football program has been punished and now they want to strip the school of accreditation. Yeah, that sounds fair, let's taint the school's academic integrity; as if that scandal somehow minimized the quality of the education provided. This is simply stupid.

If stripped of their accreditation, and I were a current or former student, then I would ask for a full refund and refuse to pay any student loans; because, in essence, stripping of accreditation makes your education/degree worthless in the workplace.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

How much punishment is fair?
The football program taking the brunt of the punishment is fine with me.
But do we punish the rest of the school that had nothing to do with this?

Fire the administration if you have to but don't punish students that had nothing to do with this.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Football was one of the biggest gimmicks getting the school money every year, not to mention all the top tier athletes that came from that school and went on to have high paying pro careers, a good football team and a bowl appearance, heck even a win meant big bucks for Penn state. its not hard to imagine the guys running the show had a mob mentality when it came to keeping their cash flowing in, and yes that means even stooping to blackmail and even dare i say it MURDER. They should temporarily lose accreditation for a few years while they shuffle staff but by no means should allumni and current students have their past soiled in this manner because of a few greedy dinosaurs.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

I don't think it would null former degrees.

Maybe a better punishment would be to just strip the football program entirely. You don't lose the whole school, but you lose the program who raked in the money that you sold children down the river for.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
so you guys think its right to make students (who may have never gone to a football game) degrees worthless because of something a football coach did???

that is ludicrous... this shouldn't even be a topic that people are discussing.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeyb1313

Who said their degrees would be worthless?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
you cant punish the students, the administration and the head coaches kept everybody they could in check using criminal tactics like blackmail, physical threats on themselves and family, threatening their career, there were a number of angles any of them could have played to keep the silence and with the amount of money that was at stake you can bet those men were desperate enough to go through with their threats!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I feel bad for the kids who had nothing to do with football. (although I guess, in a way if you went to a game you had a small part) punish the assholes who covered this up! Not the students who knew nothing.

Oh.. here is an interesting story from cracked-

For 20 years, Ray Gricar was the district attorney of Centre County, Pennsylvania. He was a solid man with a tough reputation. On April 15, 2005, Gricar phoned his girlfriend and told her he was driving in the countryside and would be back soon.

He never returned... and so,,

That's pretty much what the cops must have figured when Gricar's car was found outside an antiques store. Pretty much everything but his cellphone was missing. There were no signs of a struggle, but it must be noted that DAs seldom put up a fight at gunpoint unless they're played by Aaron Eckhart. A search ensued. Gricar's credit cards and accounts were monitored, with no signs of activity. His laptop was retrieved from a nearby river, too damaged to recover any files.

The kicker? Remember, this was in 2005..

Yep. Investigators found that at the time of his disappearance in 2005, Gricar was working on what would be known as the Penn State sex abuse scandal, which may or may not end up revealing an assistant football coach as a horrible dickbag who deserves all the prison. You know, that scandal that just broke last year. Gricar was working on it six years earlier. Then he vanished. Read more: The 5 Creepiest Disappearances That Nobody Can Explain | Cracked.com www.cracked.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by mikeyb1313

Who said their degrees would be worthless?

Penn State has been a fairly elite public university, more in the realm of Duke and Princeton instead of just basic state universities. Now, after this scandal, if you go to a job interview, the first questions are "what do you think of this Sandusky thing?"

Like it or not, the degree is already worth a lot less than it was pre-scandal.

There is no way they will lose their accreditation though. The academics are solid, the instructor staff is solid, the research is solid, the funding is solid, and it is the number one revenue generator in the entire state of Pennsylvania. The University President was already sacked, the head coach is already dead, the sex offender is in jail, the NCAA has levied record fines and set up a trust fund for victims. They are not going to do anything else to the school.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I tried to touch on that earlier but didn't dive into it. For anyone who got their degree, no matter what period in time, they will now be linked to the sex abuse scandal.

It really isn't fair to them.

I imagine it is how small, quaint towns feel when they get rocked by a murder, they are foreer tainted no matter what else the atmosphere is.
Even if the school didn't lose its accrediation, it is still going to lose a lot anyways.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think this is going a little bit too far.

I do believe they should be held responsible, but closing the entire school down? no, I think I'd just be happy with firing the faculty. They are the ones who should be held responsible.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
That is pretty dumb, if they were to do anything i would understand ditching the football program but to take away the accreditation is just plain stupid. College should be about education, not sports or child rape and child rape is not a sport. I don't know why but i just wanted to say that.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
This goes way too far in my opinion. Punish the school, NOT the students there.

If they are going to do something like this at least make a point that ALL current and former students still have accreditation for their degrees on record. Make it so it only affects future students so that nobody gets screwed.

But doing that basically closes to school down. Either way this goes too far. The entire school wasn't involved in this scandal. And the students were DEFINITELY not involved, so why punish everybody? That's just stupid.

There are already enough victims, it's insane to do something like this and make even more.

top topics

join