It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless At 18...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Never have I felt so lost or dis-connected from the world we walk on,
I'm currently 18...I attended college for a year and gained my diploma
in Public Services, I done well in school gaining B's and C's in my GCSE'S.

I have been looking HARD for work for the past year and I've never wanted
anything so much. I have joined agency's even signed on at the local Job Center.
Of course all of this stops on the 18th of August, this means I shall be homeless as my
parents cannot afford 108pound a week rent for me nor can I support my self.

This thread isn't meant for sympathy i'm just curious to know is it just me
who is finding it so hard to even live at home let alone find a job?
I feel like I haven't just let down my family
but my whole generation also, I'm not sure where I will be this time come Friday
but I do know that I only have my self to blame right?. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Bad idea's sometimes generate the best memories, so maybe this will bring some sort
of good for me. Bags are packed over and out

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Tell me about it, my ravin mad head moms been kicking me out since the age of 14!!

I have to keep returning home every six months when she finds her self too ill to look after her self.

I always succeded in school (against the odds), due to her being an arse and not provinding me with MY money, I had to drop out of college, last year my dad died.. so the crazy bitch kicked me out again, and 2 days ago, half way through doing my diploma, and two months away from starting my degree, she kicks me out again!! Im 21 at the start of Sept btw.

And im skint as I just put all my cash into decorating and furnishing my bedroom at "home".

Life keeps throwing these curve balls, and it always will. Keep your head down, set your self goals, plan what course of action you need to take, and ask your self... Do I need dead weights in my life?

Cut em loose.

This time round thats what 'm doing, how can the people you love want to f*ck up your life so much?!? really!.

ETA: Now I know your English (just checked).. Half of our generation is in the same boat. I've been in this job (Apprenticeship) for 6 weeks, they were the only ones to get back to me after 450 applications. We've all got problems at home, we all need accomodation, and we all need cash.

All of us lack those things. I currently have 7 friends CVs on my work computer, to help them look for work also, and you know what, I doubt they'll get anything before next year,

I know at least 8 people who are sofa surfing, Including me self at the moment.

The rest, the females, have all had babies, just to get a property and income. Im fighting against that urge, although, each day I ask my self why, I get paid less than them, for working my arse off.

Its not your fault, we're a forgotten generation. The Govs fu*t us hard.

Chin up

edit on 15-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SieMa

its alright, your still too young to know for sure things like this are what make you great in the future.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
yip lifes a bitch then you marry one
go to your local council office & ask for emergency housing dont take no for an answer they have to help ask for flat share or b&b they have to help see your citizens advice office phone ahead as they are quite busy or get a live in job in a hotel but good luck young un keep your chin up dont let the bxxxxxxs get to you

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Life is not always peaches and cream. It takes a lot of hard lessons, trials and tribulations to make you really appreciate where you have been and where you are going.

A couple of yrs ago I found myself with an 06 Magnum that had a blown engine, lost my job, lost my house and I had two kids to take care of .... We were homeless!

Two yrs later I am hard at work, good car, nice home, and kids are thriving in school.

Life is a roller coaster.

Enjoy the good times and learn from the bad times.

Everything will be ok! Keep your head up and fake it til ya make it! :-)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thank's for all these comments they mean alot, yeah lifes a bit** I guess
and i'm down for the ride, just hope the outcome is a positive one

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SieMa

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SieMa

Sorry to hear about your current situation, but don't give up! Life is full of ups and downs. If worse comes to worse go back to your parents. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and just start over from square one. My own children have had to move back in with us a few times, and recently we took in my grandchild for 4 months while her mom was struggling (she could have come home too but wouldn't swallow her pride again). It's not easy to admit you need help, but you do what you gotta do.

If for some reason you can't go back to your parents try other family members or friends. Heck, we have even taken in friends of our kids a few times. There is someone out there that will give you a "hands up"- all you have to do is ask. At some time or another ALL of us have had to ask someone for help for one reason or another. It's nothing to be ashamed of!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SieMa

When I was 12 yrs old, I became homeless. The first thing I needed to do was get shelter and food. I begged for a waitress job, this way I could get food at the job and get money the same day in tips. I was allowed to work the hours needed to get the tips so I could rent a hotel room overnight (you just convince your boss to let you do this, in my case, I was permitted). Everyday, I ate at the restaurant and worked until I could cover my room for the night. If I could do extra work, I did. When I got my first check it put me ahead a night and allowed me to buy toothpaste and stuff like that. In time, I was able to save enough money to get the discount by renting the room for a week... then eventually I saved for an apartment. It was not easy at first but, it kept me from living under a bridge (or worse) without resources to get out of the jam I was in. This was some time ago, I hope some of this can help you in your situation today. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SieMa

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SieMa

So why can't you move in with your parents?
I didn't see you mention this in your OP, any reason why not, just temporarily?
edit on 15/8/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
try harder.

take the first job offered.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
There will be places in your community that will be able to help you with housing, food and potential put you in the right direction for work and training. It's just a case of finding them. I would go to the local Citizens Advice Bureau, they will put you in contact with people who help people in your very situation. Good luck and keep your head up.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Someone more tech savy than myself should organize one of those Internet donation things for you like they did for that bullied bus lady.

1 dollar from like a 1000 people would go a long way in getting you going I believe..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Get into bushcraft mate, learn how to live with nature or how to live like a hobo, there are many restaurants and supermarkets who throw old food out which is better than no food, also, get the sas survival guide, you're gonna need that, it also says which wild plants you can eat and which not, where to find shelter, how to make weapons etc etc, get a good knife, carry it for self defense. Collect rainwater to drink and shower when it rains, find safe places to sleep. You could also beg for money and search for it so you can buy some cheap food at supermarkets.
what is also very important is your mind, don't get crazy, stay positive, others will look down on you.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Dude, its all about who you know. I was in the same situation around 6 years ago. I was jobless and homeless. A friend put me up in a corner of his room and got me a job at his petrol station. Worked there 6 months before they stiffed me. Thankfully I'd earned some decent enough money to be able to move into a house share.

Also, don't bother with signing up with job search sites. They've been proven to be absolutely useless. Apply to jobs directly. Friends might be able to tell you as and when they hear of a job, but it's better to apply directly.

Third. Retrain. If your income is under a certain bracket, and you've never had a degree or student funding loan, go get a serious qualification. Something that specific jobs will require a degree for. I'm distance learning with the Open U in October, I'm studying psychology so I can become a counsellor/psychologist with children and troubled youths.

Sometimes situations in life aren't ideal. I don't have a job, my other half on the other hand, has a music degree and works in a childrens pre-school as a music teacher and nursery assistant. He never thought his music degree would get him anywhere, and now he goes to three schools three times a week to do music with kids. It's not his ideal music career, but he still gets to do what he enjoys

top topics

join