It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'She is my heart and I am her legs' Devoted dad runs triathlons carrying teen daughter w/ cerebral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

A devoted father has completed a triathlon carrying his 13-year-old cerebral palsy-afflicted daughter across land and through water so that she could complete the gruelling event. Rick van Beek's feat of endurance and show of love for his daughter Madison have led many to call the man from Byron Center, Michigan the 'father of the century'. But it is not the first race of its kind for van Beek, who said he has participated in more than 70 events, including half-marathons, triathlons and other outdoor races, as part of 'Team Maddy'.

Maddy was diagnosed with cerebral palsy two months after she was born. 'It was one of the worst days of our lives,' van Beek told Fox 17. 'Everybody prays that their children are healthy and for eight years I still wished that she had been a healthy child, but if she wouldn't have been like she is then we wouldn't be the people that we are today.'

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I have to be honest. I teared up-a lot as soon as I saw the pic above. What love of for ones child-look at the determination in his face.... Real Life.

I really don't have much to say, just wanted to share. The pictures and story tell it all. I hope you can appreciated and make this the most like thread of the day on ATS.

This puts all the craziness in the world in a whole new light. We should all be so lucky to have such a loving father.

Have a good day!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This is what a parent is. I needed a tissue myself OP. The dedication this man has to his daughter leaves me in awe. It is easy to love a perfect child when they are acting perfectly and are in perfect health...and as sad as it is, some parents would not love an imperfect child the same way. This warmed my heart this morning. Thank you for sharing it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

'Everybody prays that their children are healthy and for eight years I still wished that she had been a healthy child, but if she wouldn't have been like she is then we wouldn't be the people that we are today.'
There's a very powerful message here. They stopped grasping and accepted what was, and realized that if she hadn't been the way she was, they wouldn't be the way they were. She being very sick and unable to locomote easily, and he being very healthy and able to complete a triathlon while carrying her. That's the power of true unity right there, and we find this when we stop trying to go against it, but realizing we compliment each other.

Beautiful story and beautiful picture, thank you.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Simply beautiful. S&F.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I can't get this story out of my head.

I don't have any of my own children. I can only imagine the love this man has for his child.

Besure to read the whole story. This isn't just a one time race thing to prove a point.

It is part of his life. Interesting not much said about the mother.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I can't get this story out of my head.
I don't have any of my own children. I can only imagine the love this man has for his child.
Besure to read the whole story. This isn't just a one time race thing to prove a point.
It is part of his life. Interesting not much said about the mother.

I have 2 beautiful healthy childrens and I can only imagine the man's love for her daughter. Well I'm sure the mother is a nice lady too but probably not a triathlon?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I was just wondering how the wife fit all into it/the story.

Maybe she isn't the type to be on the pages... as it were.

I see this becoming a movie... Yep.

top topics

join