It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Florida's welfare drug tests?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You said that it's not a bad thing for welfare folks to be drug free or something along those lines.

Since when it is your (or anyone else's) business what they do while they're on welfare? If they are doing something illegal, it will eventually catch up to them.

Go back and look again at what I really said please. And while you mention it, it's a great thing when ANYONE is free from the bondage to drugs, on welfare or wealthy.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

That's nice, I am not sure why you replied to me when I replied to your detractor showing him why you were right and he was not right.

ETA: I can only assume you are used to people responding to you without being on your side, in this case I am not on anyones side, but logically your stance is the correct one.
edit on 19-8-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

That's nice, I am not sure why you replied to me when I replied to your detractor showing him why you were right and he was not right.

ETA: I can only assume you are used to people responding to you without being on your side, in this case I am not on anyones side, but logically your stance is the correct one.
edit on 19-8-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

Usually people get 1 or two stars by default merely for disagreeing with me irregardless of the content of their post.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Well in this case you are correct. It is impossible to quantify the number of people who passed, but would have taken drugs if no test was required.

Here is some food for thought.

Proportions of welfare recipients using, abusing, or dependent on alcohol or illicit drugs are consistent with proportions of both the adult U.S. population and adults who do not receive welfare, report National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism researchers in the November American Journal of Public Health.

the proportion of welfare recipients who use other drugs (3.8 to 9.8 across programs) was comparable to 5.0 in the general population.

www.nih.gov...

According to actual research, this program cut drug use by welfare recipients by 48-80%.(2% versus 3.8-9.8%)
How much is that worth?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

they were drug free already and passed because of that fact.

And how exactly would you know that?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

One thing that has been missing from this argument is proof that "98% of welfare users are on drugs", etc.

The reason it's missing is that no one is claiming that. They are only claiming that people could have cleaned up their act in order to comply and pass the tests.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Vrill
www.nytimes.com...
They completely failed. 98% of those on welfare passed them. The state spent more testing everyone than it saved in weeding marijuana use out from 2% of welfare recipients.

The only winner of the program was the states governor who owned the medical company doing the tests.

What is unknown is the number of people who stayed drug-free because of the law. How can you quantify that number? If 98% were drug free it seems like the law had outstanding effect.

Why do you object so much that poor people on welfare are taking from the system, but don't bat an eyelid about the fact that, although they don't need it, the rich gov and his wife are taking far more from the same system?

You mean you object to the governor taking a salary for doing his job? That's a real novelty. I hope you are busy writing to the obama admin about how much more he is paying government workers than the private sector pays.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join