It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

we dont' know what ther was before the big bang - to say that it has to have been a fairy god-father is even sillier.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The scientific method has not told you to live like this

You're right the government has told us to live like this...I know plenty of people including myself who had the money and land would move into the wild, build our own homes, raise and grow our own foods. we dont need these bloody computers or this over priced electrically. I would much rather be a men and earn my survival, not have it handed to me in this stupid society we live in...I'm sorry, but everyone has become lazy, and have their heads too far up their asses.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Whys it silly?

Ask any number of people who believe in God, they will all tell you that something happened to change their lives forever, I'm sorry you have yet to have the chance to feel a divine force intervened in your life, but it happens everyday, maybe you should open your mind a little more, and get away from the technology a bit?

also if something was there before the big bang, how did it come about? How did anything come about?
edit on 15-8-2012 by SolarIce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce

Whys it silly?

Because all it does is invent a reason for eth big bbang for which there is no evidence and no justification.

The honest answer is that we do not know what came before the big bang - to pretend otehrwise is silly.

Until someone can figure out what did actually come before then of course - and if it turns out to be a fairy god-father then well and good.

But I'm gonna stick with thinking that aint' going to ever happen.

Ask any number of people who believe in God, they will all tell you that something happened to change their lives forever,

What has that got to do with the big bang?

I'm sorry you have yet to have the chance to feel a divine force intervened in your life, but it happens everyday, maybe you should open your mind a little more, and get away from the technology a bit?

Any god has had over 53 years of chances to make him/her/itself felt or to intervene in my life - so far none of them have taken advantage of any opportunity to do so that I have noticed.

also if something was there before the big bang, how did it come about? How did anything come about?

See above - the honest answer - we do not know.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

That made no sense....

We dont know what did it, but it cant be a more devine and powerful being than ourselves?

I've had OBE's, Astral Projection, Meditation, I pray and ask whatever this being may be for what I need help with

You ever did any of the above? I doubt it, and until you stop and take your head out of your ass, you will never be truly at peace with yourself. I know if I were to lose everything around me I wouldn't breakdown, I would be at peace and still able to take joy in the things that did matter. I'm sorry but atheists our never at peace, and honestly seem to be the ones most full of themselves.

Look at this.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
I wonder if the drop in self identified religious people represents a shift away from traditional religions and toward more individual belief systems?

Because religious dropped 15%, but only a small portion of them converted to atheism, poll shows that most still either believe in God...

Or maybe they're just apathetic? Atheism is in some ways a bigger intellectual commitment/assertion than any form of religion.

Lately my thinking has been in the trend of seeing God as more of a scientific law relating willpower and attitude to changes in reality, not sure where that puts me on the spectrum, but with an ever changing thought complex maybe I'm best described as skeptic? Agnostic? But then I'm often interpreting the world as all God?

I consider myself a Christian and I also believe in other spiritual teachings/principles,but I do not attend church or practise any sort of standard "religion".I had a spiritual awakening 15 years ago and got aquainted with the God of my understanding who I now have a personal (not religious) relationship with.
I try to treat others the way I want to be treated
I accept that others may believe differently than me and have never tried to "convert" anyone.I have run into true atheists who don't believe in God AT ALL.But I have also run into a fair amount of people calling themselves "atheists" but they were largely people who believed in God,but were spiritually and emotionally/mentally distant from Him because of how the world is and/or how hypocratic most,if not all,organized religions are.

Blah.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I've had OBE's, Astral Projection, Meditation, I pray and ask whatever this being may be for what I need help with

You ever did any of the above? I doubt it, and until you stop and take your head out of your ass,
I can't argue with crazy.

You win.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

cool im crazy now, good job with personal attacks against someone you dont know. yeah just move along buddy

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

That made no sense....

We dont know what did it, but it cant be a more devine and powerful being than ourselves?

Not what I said - perhaps you shold brush up on your reading skills.

I said we dont' know what it was until someone figures it out. Until then the honest answer is "we don't know"

And if it DOES turn out to be a fairy god fathe then so be it - but I'm still betting it won't be.

Oh and as for creating stuff out of nothing......apparently cracked.com has the answer for you as to how it can happen

You ever did any of the above? I doubt it,

Wrong again - I've done/had all of them.

My prayers never got answered so I gave up on them, meditation is nice and relaxing, and astral projection and OBE's only ever seem to happen when I'm half asleep.

and until you stop and take your head out of your ass,

nice

you will never be truly at peace with yourself.

lol - I am perfectly at peace with myself thank you for your...er....."concern"

I know if I were to lose everything around me I wouldn't breakdown, I would be at peace and still able to take joy in the things that did matter. I'm sorry but atheists our never at peace,

How would you know that??

I have lost a dear friend and a cousin in the last couple of months - I didn't break down, or come close to it. Why would I? why would you think I would??

Just because yuo need a crutch of religion to support you doesn't mean otehrs have the same shortcoming.

and honestly seem to be the ones most full of themselves.

That's a bit rich coming from you!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

cool im crazy now, good job with personal attacks against someone you dont know. yeah just move along buddy
Personal attacks ??
In the post above my reply, you told the poster to "take your head outta your ass"

You God people are the most hypocritical bunch on the planet.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

what if I told you that there exists a set of blueprints, that if practiced and followed, result in a direct experience of God?

No drugs or chemicals involved. Just a direct experience....

Would try and genuinely follow to blueprints to see and test if a result or outcome presents itself as described?

Or will your preconceived notions and self induced bias completely prevent you from seeing for yourself whether or not this is true? Especially considering that in the event that you do find something substantial there, it will require you to toss aside all of your stances and biases and labels that you held all these years and which may be what people know you as

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

wow im truly convince you get personal enjoyment out of going to different threads and trying to be some kind of know it all expert. You implied that we dont know what could of caused our existence, and yet don't accept the idea of a god..so why do you accept the idea of a big bang? I also doubt you have actually done any of what I mentioned, because anyone who has, have all stated it to be a mystic experience..

I mean seriously why are you like you are? Maybe you should lay of that fluoride?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Huh? I'm sorry I never said I didnt use personal attacks, but you came out of nowhere and called me crazy, you gave no support to the discussion. Nice really you are a shining example, here have a dunce hat just for you...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

You're actually wasting your time...he won't listen his word is right and anyone else is wrong..

He didnt even take the time to look at the site I gave him..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I'm not a religious person but I do know that when our government feared god it ran a lot smoother, less crooked politicians and more got accomplished for a lot less money.. Now, there's no fear! Screw us all for there's no penalty in the end.. Seems to me there are many atheists within.. If so, we are fu--ed!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

wow im truly convince you get personal enjoyment out of going to different threads and trying to be some kind of know it all expert. You implied that we dont know what could of caused our existence.....

you really should brush up on your reading and comprehension skills if that is what you took from my posts.

What we dont' know is what DID cause our existance, but we can imagine all sorts of things that COULD have caused it.......if that difference is too subtle for you then..well...sorry again for your problem.

and yet don't accept the idea of a god..so why do you accept the idea of a big bang?

"And yet..." implies that ther should be some link between the 2 statements - but there is none.

I believe the big bang happened because there is a heap of verifiable evidence that supports the idea. I do not believe in a god or gods because ther is no such evidence to support their existance.

I also doubt you have actually done any of what I mentioned,

You are the person best placed to rectify your own shortcomings.

because anyone who has, have all stated it to be a mystic experience..

lol - yes some people say they are mystic experiences....but now you HAVE "met" someone who says otherwise - lucid dreaming is a reasonable explaination of OBE & Astral projection to me, and of course there's nothing particularly mystical about prayers not being answered and meditation being relaxing.

I mean seriously why are you like you are? Maybe you should lay of that fluoride?

Part of why I am like I am because I choose to examine evidence and not be led around by ancient mystical claptrap.

I guess being a sucker for mystical claptrap explains why you are like you are?? Sadly I don't think that can be cured by something as simple as taking fluoride

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I really try my best to treat everyone like a brother and sister, but sometimes people here on the internet, and this forum especially like to pretend they know everything there is to know, or that they have it all figured out.

Tw0Sides

I don't understand how you can call me crazy and reply to a post not even directed at you, and than to make it even better you call me a hypocrite. um no actually I never said I wasn't using personal attacks,yup thats right I'm human I have errors, and sometimes I will end up personally attacking someone. Yup I told Ghaul to get his head out of his ass.

Aloysius the Gaul

I have not a damn thing against you, but look you need to open your mind a bit and stop taking in everything like you have it all figured out. I don't know how old you are, but me I'm only 21 I dont know # and I can be honest about it, I'm not going to post links to sites like crack, who can claim anything. nope I'd much rather rely on my personal experiences, like for example a long time ago my mother who at the time was an atheist and who had no clue what to do during a OD ended up smoking too much meth and almost died, she didn't know what to do, but she was DRAGGED BY A FORCE out into the snow and thrown into it. Our neighbors saw her and called for help, if she hadn't lowered her body temp she would of died....I myself have had things like this happen to me, and would always brush it off as a coincidence or just something silly, but after what happened to me a year ago I will never turn my back on the belief that we are under the watch of something more powerful.

So yeah I'm sorry I didn't handle anything I said to you in a correct manner so here is me saying I am sorry.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Look homie look at what I said above

giving me grammar lessons? we're on a forum I'm not going to take the time to double check anything I type, because its not the way the content is delivered, but the content itself that is important. Besides I bet I could show you up in a essay writing.
Don't mean that in an insult, it's just you really have no clue what I know or have accomplished and the same goes for you, just because I may make spelling errors means nothing.

I guess being a sucker for mystical claptrap explains why you are like you are?? Sadly I don't think that can be cured by something as simple as taking fluoride

Please show were I've said I believe in any of this?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I have not a damn thing against you, but look you need to open your mind a bit and stop taking in everything like you have it all figured out.

You really need to stop thinking I think I have everything figured out.

I don't know how old you are,

Yes you do. I told you already.

but me I'm only 21 I dont know # and I can be honest about it, I'm not going to post links to sites like crack, who can claim anything.

You could check out their claim that matter has bbeen made from "nothing" via a couple of lasers with a simple search - is Science Daily a better link for you then???

The fact that Cracked can find it and you don't bothe researching it tells me that cracked is a better source than you are!

nope I'd much rather reply on my personal experiences.

IMO that's a poor position to take - there are many more things in the universe than you can ever experience, and to refuse to entertain the evidence others can provide is foolish IMO.

My mother who at the time was a atheist and had no clue what to do during a OD ended up smoking too much meth and almost died, she didn't know what to do, but she was DRAGGED BY A FORCE out into the snow and thrown into it. Our neighbors saw her and called for help, if she hadn't lowered her body temp she would of died....I myself have had things like this happen to me, and would always brush it off as a coincidence or just something silly, but after what happened to me a year ago I can and will never turn my back on the belief that we are under the watch of something more powerful.

Since you do not know what hte force was why do you say it was god? Why couldn't it be her smashed just randomly wandering around non-compis-mentis? And if it was god why does it hae to have been the x-ian god? why not Odin or Moloch or Allah or any one of hundreds of other gods?

So yeah I'm sorry I didn't handle anything I said to you in a correct manner so here is me saying I am sorry.

Appreciated....then you went and screwed it up with your next post.

Oh well - c'est la vie!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
god would not approve of all this!

just saying.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join