Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Obviously there are many lost souls on this site.Children of the anti-christ soon to arrive.There have been divine visitations at Fatima,Lourdes and Garabandal in modern times witnessed by thousands.There will be no grey area on this issue.Peoples eternal souls are at stake.I suggest you choose wisely...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

How many times have people cried wolf regarding the return of Jesus, etc?

There simply isn't an actual being.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It's a good sign, the less religion can drive us apart the better off we are in my opinion.

2nd line

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by AgentX09

How many times have people cried wolf regarding the return of Jesus, etc?

You know the thing on that is this. I may even agree with you on the historical status of Jesus. I'm really not sold either way.

There it is though..... I can say the Easter Bunny isn't real because my adult logic and life experience tells me the idea is totally absurd and 99.9999 etc...% impossible. If I'm wrong on that .001 that sits somewhere out where only Pi dares tread, then I've lost nothing. I can sue the big fur ball for trademark infringement on my name and tell him to take his Unicorn with him.

On the other hand, if I assume that about Jesus and...the odds are a little better than Pi-land for being wrong when over 2 BILLION people believe it in this world....then I'm not laughing, He is.

I'd really rather not commit SO far, personally, that meeting the real thing someday in the ultimate proof of a bad assumptions can end with nothing good coming for me.
It still costs me nothing to leave the door open. Just my thoughts on tolerance of religions.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

I said higher intelligence seems more likely than randomness, you said based on what...

Let's start with the existence of human beings. The development of self conscious beings, with technology, in a specialized environment (Earth). We wrongly assume that life is based on the conditions of Earth and come up with terms like the "habitable zone." It could just as easily be the case that the conditions of Earth are based on life, or that life requires no condition. Anyway, the universe produced a dynamic creature in humans, a dynamic structure in the brain. Sometimes it's a matter of common sense over proof. The human brain, in all it's mystery and potential, is being reduced to the result of a random chemical process?

If your own existence doesn't convince you, how about the stability of the cosmos? Somehow we went from an infinitely dense and super hot ball of matter to extreme division and ended up with a rotating, fairly fixed, conglomeration of fire balls from which life arose without plan or purpose? That just seems ludicrous.

Are you a non believer in extra terrestrials as well?

It's just all so nice and orderly and pretty and stuff...

While my evidence fails the requirements of the scientific method, it is no less comprehensive than a lot of scientific theories (evolution, relativity) that hinge on no small amount of assumption, inference, and speculation.

There's also the paradox that the great historical scientists are often found to have a flourishing interest in mysticism. Take Newton, for instance. I'm sure he could convince you to entertain the idea of a higher power quite easily. I am not so well equipped, at the moment, and realize that any attempt to convince someone of the existence of God is futile, for that question is best answered by an individuals own discourse.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs

Let's start with the existence of human beings. The development of self conscious beings, with technology, in a specialized environment (Earth). We wrongly assume that life is based on the conditions of Earth and come up with terms like the "habitable zone." It could just as easily be the case that the conditions of Earth are based on life, or that life requires no condition. Anyway, the universe produced a dynamic creature in humans, a dynamic structure in the brain. Sometimes it's a matter of common sense over proof. The human brain, in all it's mystery and potential, is being reduced to the result of a random chemical process?

A random chemical process that took millions of years.

If your own existence doesn't convince you, how about the stability of the cosmos? Somehow we went from an infinitely dense and super hot ball of matter to extreme division and ended up with a rotating, fairly fixed, conglomeration of fire balls from which life arose without plan or purpose? That just seems ludicrous.

So it seems ludicrous that out of trillions of stars and planets that we are not special?

While my evidence fails the requirements of the scientific method, it is no less comprehensive than a lot of scientific theories (evolution, relativity) that hinge on no small amount of assumption, inference, and speculation.

It actually is, and you can comprehend mathematics rather than struggling to comprehend a magical "thing" in the sky that has no limits.

There's also the paradox that the great historical scientists are often found to have a flourishing interest in mysticism. Take Newton, for instance. I'm sure he could convince you to entertain the idea of a higher power quite easily. I am not so well equipped, at the moment, and realize that any attempt to convince someone of the existence of God is futile, for that question is best answered by an individuals own discourse.

Without proper evidence he couldn't.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

When he does return you're probably gonna wish he DIDN'T exist...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

It actually is, and you can comprehend mathematics rather than struggling to comprehend a magical "thing" in the sky that has no limits.

Well, maybe I don't comprehend mathematics at it's highest levels. But I did score 730 on the math SAT and take AP calculus in high school. Odds on, my mathematic ability compares pretty favorably with yours.

Euclid, Pythagoras were both students of mysticism before becoming mathematicians... The thoughts that your world view are based on come from God fanatics and are now being interpreted in opposition to their original intent.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
it's a fad, a trend.

atheism is popular on sites like reddit and 4chan and those sites have a high number of under 25 year olds.

One day it may be that Atheists are the majority. But that will pass too and the next fad/trend will come to power eventually and will out muscle atheism.

Will all our problems go away with Atheism at the helm? Nope

Wars, hunger, corruption, greed, murders, molestation, rape, evil, will still be around and people will see that Atheism too does not have the answer to the worlds ills.

On top of that, there seems to be an increase in Militant Atheism which looks very similar to Militant religiousity of Antiquity.

Same Ish, different labels.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Posted a thread this morning hoping to gain insight on the nature and origins of paradigm shifts, and what types of shifts in thought are currently happening and may happen down the line...

Atheism is clearly an idea that is gaining momentum, and barring further revelation, it's easy to see it overtaking belief when it comes to attitudes about God.

Paradigm Shifts

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Will all our problems go away with Atheism at the helm? Nope

When God is not, as Dostoyevsky wrote, anything is permitted.

"Atheists kill people in such vastly greater numbers than any religion EVER HAS in all of history!?"

"...secular ideologies were responsible for the murder of 100 million innocent people during the last century."

• Russian Civil War (1917-22): 7 to 10 million
• Soviet Union, Stalin's regime (1924-53): 20 million
• People's Republic of China, Mao Zedong's regime (1949-1975): 44 to 72 million

Source

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
People post about Awakening, but then they fail to realize that masses moving away from religion IS Awakening. What else could it be?

As many idiotic things the age of internet has brought us, it has also allowed the humans to remove the blinders of religion that have been put on us for the last 500-1000-1500-2000 years. We are allowed to share our opinions more freely and connect with others who are no longer AFRAID to speak out against organized religion.

For centuries, people were not ALLOWED to speak out against religion, many were even killed for it. I believe our new inter-connectedness is allowing us to progress into a new Age of Enlightenment, a real one -- the one that will eventually rid the world of the weight that's been holding us down for so long -- mythology and religion.

Thanks for the article, looks like even Americans are getting more intelligent, despite all the attempts to keep them dumb and obedient.

Khar

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
what a shock atheism on the rise and morals are at an all time low....

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

we have moved so far away from religion but who has been enlightened? more war, more killing, people eating people, parent killing their kids...sure maybe it's the internet allowing us to know more at a glance but I'm not seeing people being enlightened....keep telling yourself relgion means nothing..just as we have corrupt people in police departments and in churches we cannot say they are all bad...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

Any yet, numerous other civilized countries around the world, whose atheism rates are multiples of ours, enjoy much more peaceful societies and much less violent and hate crime.

By your logic, one could almost say that it is in fact the higher rate of religious folks in USA that is the reason for all the shootings and violence, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

exactly!!!! Star for you!!!!

Neither religion nor atheism can solve the problems of the world.

It's gonna take some massive Divine Intervention. I'd like to think of it as forced Enlightenment. One day, everyone wakes up, and there is no more ego, there is only Oneness. If you kill or molest or rape or cheat someone, you immediately know your doing it to yourself.

That's my only solution. Forced Enlightenment. I think we're heading there no matter what, because we come from there

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think for the advancement of the human race, organized, devisive religion should be on the decline and eventually be a thing of the past, a relic.
That's not to say that personal faith or a relationship with a personal god is an issue, for that is what is was always supposed to be about, but we do need to shed the shackles of the archaic types of organized religion.
The us against them, our God is better than your God mentality has caused so much misery and suffering and also the scriptures (which are not the true word of God) have caused many to insult, harrass and exclude theri fellow humans because of the prejudices and fears of 2000 year old people.

I'm glad Atheism is on the rise.

Humanism will prevail.
edit on 15-8-2012 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Organised religion is the reason people are turning away. When the catholic church seems to have made a hobby out of child molestation its hard to stick with them. Also is the violence that humans bring to religion. Even reading here I see the "when Jesus comes back you'll be sorry" sentiment. How about the whole world quit fighting about who Jesus was and just believe in his words. Peace, love and forgiveness to all, not just those that believe the way you do.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I was forced to study religion but still came to the conclusion that it's BS. I think it's more down to our discoveries about how we and other animals evolved and our ever increasing understanding of the universe.

Uni-verse = One Word. The Bible says God spoke the universe into existence with one word. Understand ?
Intelligence and consciousness come from God. Common courtesy and polite manners dictate that a thank you is in order.

That's intelligence and dignity.
edit on 15-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

How many times have people cried wolf regarding the return of Jesus, etc? There simply isn't an actual being.

if your 100% sure of this, please prove it. Other wise its just hearsay.

Also some 90-odd percent of historians say that Jesus, as a historical figure did exist.

Your gonna need alot more fire power than just a 2 sentence reply

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join