Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I never thought I would be arguing for the possibility of a god.

Why not? It's good to be open and more importantly, HONEST.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Despite not being a religious follower, I would never want to see the end of religion. It can be an extremely powerful force for good. I have been volunteering in the Charity sector and it is the religious groups that really help a lot of people out there. They have the ability to mobilize large groups of people to carry out good work. Our charity is not religious in any way, but on a day to day basis we work with religious groups on projects and events that would be impossible without their support and help. They don't shove their religion in your face, it is all very humble.

Just wish all those who claim to be religious actually practiced the compassion that is preached.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

We need atheism to start concentrating on more important things... ecology, advance faster in technology and find peace amongst each other.

And let me finish off with this arrogant statement:
I firmly believe that people who devoutly believe in a religion are un-intelligent and dangerous...
edit on 15/8/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

Please explain how atheism is needed to start concentrating on more important things like ecology, technology advances and finding peace amongst each other?

I mean, how do you view a Christian saying "We need Christianity to start concentrating on more important things, morality, love and helping each other"??

I can only imagine the metric tons of snark coming down the pike from an atheist while they look down their collective nose at them like some unapproving high priest and the clueless acolyte.

It's no surprise you chose arrogance as your favored salutation. That's always the case with the neo-atheists. Monkey see, monkey do.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We as a people will never be free until we break free from religion. That's not to say you can't believe in God(s), just to say that man written scripture should not be worshiped. For the record, I don't agree with atheism - something created this universe.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
little short story. tldr to the bottom for my more on topic post.

here is a neat little thing i learned recently. since i believe this only an american organization. do you know what the good in Goodwill(the thrift store) is? if you go to Goodwill and find a bible and take to the cashier they will give it to you for free.

what does this have to do with anything? there was a period in my adolescent life and even a good portion of my young adult life where i believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a "creator" did not exist. i called myself an "atheist". i would argue day and night with people about the "evils" of organized religion and how it "brainwashed" people.

recently i was poking around Goodwill and found a mini pocket sized version of the bible and one of the employees saw me looking at it. she said i could have it and explained the good in Goodwill story. never wanting or even thinking of owning a bible i thought "what do i have to lose?"

took my mini bible home and over the course of a week i read it back to front. i LOVE some of the stories. as an adolescent i had neither the patience nor the pride to allow myself to even READ a bible let alone say i own one. i've read more classic literature in the past few years than in the rest of life combined and sat here wondering why it took me so long to read this particular piece of literature. the bible, to my surprise, is a wonderful story telling medium it represents the best and worst of humanity and what we are capable of when we voluntarily blind ourselves to the world around us. if you can manage to get around the archaic writing style and accept that you won't fully understand everything.

i no longer openly criticize people for their choice to be religious, spiritual or just a personal belief in a "creator". there is so much about the world and even things going on around us right now that we can't perceive with our five senses that i can't rule out the possibility of a collective conscious, which may or may not be our "creator".
end rant.

ok. back on topic. i agree with the poster that this ADD generation is far to focused on the computer screen or the little gadget app on their phone that something like religious study comes off as "mundane" or "boring". and i believe that factors greatly into the sharp rise in self proclaimed atheists. the information age hasn't been to kind to faith in general.
edit on 15-8-2012 by notkmarx because: spillin

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lannister

"Mankind will never be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
-Denis Diderot

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FailedProphet
reply to post by Lannister

"Mankind will never be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
-Denis Diderot

A bit harsh for my tastes, but the point is made. The problem it can't be forced. Humanity as a whole needs to wake up and understand that they no longer need the King or the priest. At that point said King and/or priest loses their power. Basically, humanity needs to grow up.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
With 60 percent of the population being religious I find it weird that 90 percent of the population still takes part in religious holidays.

As the percentage dwindles year after year, Christmas and Easter's religious ties will be almost forgotten leaving the habit of families all getting together still there, wondering with each other why they are still getting together.

Fine by me I think. Where religion is lacking in holidays, corporatism is making up for it.

We are all switching from worshiping a deity, to worshiping a group of corporations.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ManOfHart

We need a festivus for the rest of us.

I'm not sure that there is no proof of God...

Sure, existence hasn't been formulated but when considering the overall structure of the universe, higher intelligence seems more likely than randomness...

many have had personal experiences where they felt some sort of divine presence. Near death experiences, stuff like that.

For the scientific minded, any proof obtained and law written based on observation of, for example, a rock in free fall doesn't hold that much more significance than the perception of a spiritual experience when the overall length of time is taken into account. All of our "laws" are based on a very brief instant in time, and just because something happens consistently in the world of humans on Earth it doesn't follow to hold in an infinite and eternal universe....

I'd go as far as to say religious wisdoms exceed scientific thought in both truth and utility.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Best news in years.

Scientific Breakthroughs > Religious Killings

The younger generation are getting smarter. Their just lazy. I could say that, I'm one of them.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
reply to post by ManOfHart

Sure, existence hasn't been formulated but when considering the overall structure of the universe, higher intelligence seems more likely than randomness..

Based on what?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Out of the frying pan and into the fire, or is it out of the fire and into the frying pan? Either way, people are still getting burned by trading one illusion for another.

We're a peculiar bunch.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Of course faith is suffering in the present world. Think about it... previous generations were not only forced to study religion ( whether they liked it or not ) and were forced to publicly agree with whatever religious convictions their family ( or community ) held ( whether they liked it or not ) but they also had a LOT of time and very little to distract them. Books weren't readily available - other than the good ole' King James. So religion would prosper in that world.

Fast forward to today and familial and community pressures towards religious beliefs are almost nil and kids today have so many distractions that you can scarcely get one to look away from the monitor, cell phone, or TV long enough to even acknowledge that they've been addressed. There's very little motive for them to read a book that is difficult, in archaic terminology, and which takes a great deal of patience to understand. They are more interested in the next installment of whatever movie series is big at any given moment than they are about deeper issues.

BUT... having said all that... Gen-Text will begin to age - and as they do they'll begin to fear mortality and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that many of them become religious later on in life. Right now there's just too much fun to be had to worry about such esoteric things.

My .02 cents at least.

~Heff

I couldnt agree more!

Last night I told my kids to go outside and play. They are 8,12, and 14!

My oldest said mom... This is not the old days... We have electronics. I said, I know and I dont like it. So... After a while they took my advice and went outside.

They have soooo many distractions that they are not living life like I prefer. Exploring, being creative, staying fit, playing with friends in the neighborhood, and so on. They are stuck in the house staring at a screen.

Ive always monitored them though and do not allow more than an hour a day. They come home, do their homework, eat a snack, straighten up their room, and then an hour they can hang doing whatever and then they are outside enjoying being a kid.

Sorry.... That was more like a rant. Lol

My daughter seems to be religious. She doesnt want to think for herself because she is too lazy to think too deep.

My 14 yr old is not religious, however he is very spiritual. He may one day be a non believer as he is a science geek.

My 8 yr old has found religion in Catholicism. He is very much lead by his other Grandfather. He takes him to church every Sunday and he was just " confirmed". I look for him to bail out though as soon as he understands the religion as he is very logical in his thinking and does not want to be a follower. He is definitely a free thinker.

I dont really buy into polls. Statistics are very much manipulated so they hold less credibility ... For me anyway.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think much of the reason for the decline in religion and the rise in atheism is that we are more educated. We are finding out the "whys" and "hows" of the Universe and our need to know the answers is being satisfied by scientific facts instead of religious dogma, used to explain the unknown.

As for the disparity in the numbers, I have talked to many people who say they don't believe in the biblical God or any god at all. But when I ask if they're atheist, they say, "No"! Like I've offended them by asking. It's still very hard for many who have let go of the myth to call themselves atheists. It's seen as such a harsh and cold position by many. Or they have the wrong idea of what atheism is.

For those who want religion in their lives, that's what the freedom of religion is all about, and I support it. People's freedom to believe what they want to believe and practice their beliefs within the law is paramount to individual freedom in our country.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Agreed with all 3.

I can totally understand people having faith in something.

That faith should be personal, not public, not part of government, not part of schools, etc.

If atheists are so evil to (some) Christians, then how do you explain forced indoctrination/conversion of atheists by Christians? I've experienced it personally and I have been at war with religious dogma ever since.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I am replying to this without having read all the posts, so this might be a bit of a retread of something someone else has said, but c'est la vie. You know, come to think of it, I haven't posted a reply here in a long time...strange.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the poll, because I would definitely have listed myself as non-religious, though I am a disciple of Christ. I think religion itself has proven the burdensome problem. I used to say to friends, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Religion has, in many ways, become the dirty water that the baby is washed in, but people judge the baby by the filth of that water. That's a sin, the greater of which lies with the churches. Well, anyway, peace and blessings all...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It can't come soon enough. The most civil, healthiest and sane societies in the world are those with the fewest religious zealots. Religious nuts are net negatives to humankind, only tending to increase acrimony, intolerance and ignorance, especially right wing "Christianity" and extreme Islam (two sides of the same coin).

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Careful. You're making sense here!

That is a good thing too. Too many people blame Islamists and fail to see that other religions have zealots too.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
In Jeff Daniel's Newroom rant he claims the US leads the world in the number of adults that believe angels are real. If we are losing our religiosity that number is bound to drop off and America will be shown to be in further decline. Oh well, we still per capita incarceration and defense spending to keep us on top and I don't foresee either of those falling off any time soon.

edit on 15-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Yeah, a lot of atheists can be annoying, confrontational and bullish. They love to point out religious inconsistencies and prove they know more about the bible then those who believe it. And if they can catch someone being hypocritical it's all they can do not to cream their pants. I can't stand those types, just as bad as judgmental bible thumpers.

All of us respectful atheists stay out of peoples personal beliefs...no matter how delusional they may seem to us. Don't try to convert me and I'll return the favor.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join