It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Could it be also that many are recognizing their own beliefs and are do not feel the need to broadcast them? I surely don't care if you or some other random person knows me beliefs. Doesn't make me an atheist though. The poll is very subjective in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by SpearMint

I'm not defending Christians. Christians irritate me too. Atheists are starting to irritate me more than Christians.

'As an atheist' and then they continue on... Annoying people. Not all, but many are getting worse and more preachy than the religious.

Any indication you believe in a higher power and it's 'LOL, well as an atheist I think you're stupid because religion. LOL!'

I know some great atheists, but they're like the wonderful religious people I know. They don't hate you or think you're an idiot for your beliefs.

I don't even know what I'd class myself as. Confused works for now.

I've been in the "I'm annoyed by atheists more than any other religious person" camp for a long time, myself. Their Jesus seems to be Charles Darwin or Carl Sagan or co-opting Einstein as one of their own (even though he specifically stated he didn't want to be identified as one of theirs). Never have I ever heard, though, any atheists quoting Tesla as debate material for the non-existence of "God". So there's that. Everything is, "well, do you have any peer reviewed studies on the existence of "God"/afterlife? No? Well, it's not real." Oh, yeah, hang on...where did I put that paper...I'll have it for you in just a...NEVER. Some of their favorite "tools" for debate are unicorns, fairies, Santa Claus. They even get creative with "Flying Spaghetti Monster" and Pastafarianism. The modern day apostles of atheism, Richard Dawkins, LArry Strauss, Sam Harris, Chris Hitchens (RIP), and all of them adopt this ascerbic style of debate full of tawdry tactics, insult and ridicule. It's so boring and laughable to listen to after hearing it so much. My attitude toward them resembles that pic of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka where's he so smitten and "interested" in what they have to say. I've been blocked on facebook by many of my old high school "friends" who identify as atheist after I make fun of their endless parade of "atheist content posts". Such a sensitive bunch...but, they sure can dish it out.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Fair enough, sorry for the assumption. I don't actually class my self as an Atheist because claiming that there is no God without evidence is almost as bad as claiming there is, but I strongly believe that organized religions are a creation of man and full of crap.

Don't be sorry for the assumption. I would have assumped too. I think there is something to organized religion, I also think a lot of it is shenanigans.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Good. The human race is becoming more intelligent.

Thats my first reaction...

but theres something nagging at the back of my mind..

If rumours and speculation are to be believed, isn't this leading to something??

The Illuminati did want to dissolve all religions and governments, after all.....

How's the vatican going to cope in 5 generations time, and religion and indoctrination has worn off almost completely?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
reply to post by Hefficide

Thats not entirely true though. Religion has attempted to keep up with the times. There are tons of different translations of the bible.

The language might change - but the message remains a 2000+ year old collection of myths, parables, object lessons and stories mixed up with psychobable and used as a means of keeping a bunch of farts in power to which they are not worthy.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

How's the vatican going to cope in 5 generations time, and religion and indoctrination has worn off almost completely?

Who t.f. cares how the Vatican copes - obsolete is obsolete!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Wrong title, it should be:

Polls shows religious belief falling in the US.

Hurray! Poeple are growing up.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
To be fair most of the crap that the US gets its self into these days usually has religious connotations to some degree or another, maybe this will allow clearer heads to prevail.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Fair enough, sorry for the assumption. I don't actually class my self as an Atheist because claiming that there is no God without evidence is almost as bad as claiming there is, but I strongly believe that organized religions are a creation of man and full of crap.

Agnostic is a cop out, please answer this question. What else are you agnostic about?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
''Give it 50, maybe 100 years and religion will be gone.'' - Rambo112

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

reply to post by Hefficide

Thats not entirely true though. Religion has attempted to keep up with the times. There are tons of different translations of the bible.

The language might change - but the message remains a 2000+ year old collection of myths, parables, object lessons and stories mixed up with psychobable and used as a means of keeping a bunch of farts in power to which they are not worthy.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

Thats entirely true, but the post I was responding tried to say the King James Version was too complicated for today's generation to read.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Agnostic is a cop out, please answer this question. What else are you agnostic about?

What are you talking about? I don't believe any religion to be true however I can't claim that there is no god. How is that a "cop out"? Do you think its better to force a belief upon myself with nothing to back it up? The best we can do is study the Universe and work things out. Nothing is wrong with Agnosticism, it's probably the most peaceful view point. I'm Agnostic about anything that I can't prove either way, a sensible approach if you ask me. Explain to me why you think it's a "cop out".
edit on 15-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rambo1112

''Give it 50, maybe 100 years and religion will be gone.''

Dont be silly, how would they find reason to kill, mame and rape each other without religious bias? Also what about Meca, Jerusalem and the Vatican? There not just going to disappear you know, or are they.
edit on 15-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Atheists have overtaken the ultra religious on my annoying meter.

Always seem to somehow insert the atheism into conversations. Why? If you don't believe in God, why make a religion out of it?

Because sometimes the only way to win a debate against psychos (which is my fitting description of people who stupidly believe the various fairytales of religion to be true) is to remove yourself from your higher post and drag yourself down to the same level.

Religion needs to be beaten with the same stick that itself has been using throughout the last 2000 years to instill idiocy, dependence, fear and war upon every innocent man woman and child.

Religion is THE biggest reason for hardship in this world. The older generations were brought up thinking they could leave responsibility of their every day life to "the lord" and when thinks go bad for them anyways, it's pretty hard admitting that no such thing as "the lord" even exists and they start bitching about anyone else who isn't part of their segregation.

The youth of today are first hand witnesses to their parents and grand parents stupidities and ignorance and refuse to lower themselves to this level. I applaud them and I can only hope that the number of atheists will rise faster and faster and one day be the dominating belief system in the entire world.

We need atheism to start concentrating on more important things... ecology, advance faster in technology and find peace amongst each other.

And let me finish off with this arrogant statement:
I firmly believe that people who devoutly believe in a religion are un-intelligent and dangerous...
edit on 15/8/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You are holding the position of being agnostic about if there is a god. Im just asking you to tell me something else you are agnostic about. If you are not agnostic about anything else then you are basically still believing there might be a god just to believe it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Atheism isn't about believing there is no god, it has everything to do with not believing in a god. This means there is such a thing as agnostic atheists and gnostic atheists. By repeating the stereotype that atheism is about religiously believing that god does not exist, you're perpetuating a old, incorrect, meme that in the end is likely only hurting yourself.

I don't actually class my self as an Atheist because claiming that there is no God without evidence is almost as bad as claiming there is, but I strongly believe that organized religions are a creation of man and full of crap.

God thus far has been unprovable, hence why belief in a god is commonly referred to as "faith". Personally, I see no reason to believe in god because of this. Are you also agnostic on the flying spagetti monster or a crazy persons invisible friend? Are you open to the idea that a crazy persons invisible friend or flying spagetti monster might be real because you cannot disprove them?

It should be up to those who come up with these ideas to prove them.
edit on 15/8/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
95% of people still being idiots is crazy.

The people that hold an agnostic veiwpoint dont do so because they are afraid of losing ttheir reputation as being politicaly correct.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

You are holding the position of being agnostic about if there is a god. Im just asking you to tell me something else you are agnostic about. If you are not agnostic about anything else then you are basically still believing there might be a god just to believe it.

No. Pay attention to what I said. I'm not saying that there is no god because I cannot prove it. That's it.

You're the one that brought agnosticism in to this, I didn't say that I was Agnostic.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Atheism isn't about believing there is no god, it has everything to do with not believing in a god. This means there is such a thing as agnostic atheists and gnostic atheists. By repeating the stereotype that atheism is about religiously believing that god does not exist, you're perpetuating a old, incorrect, meme that in the end is likely only hurting yourself.

I don't actually class my self as an Atheist because claiming that there is no God without evidence is almost as bad as claiming there is, but I strongly believe that organized religions are a creation of man and full of crap.

God thus far has been unprovable, hence why belief in a god is commonly referred to as "faith". Personally, I see no reason to believe in god because of this. Are you also agnostic on the flying spagetti monster or a crazy persons invisible friend?

What is your point here? We are in the universe, we don't know how it was created, therefore however crazy it may seem there is a possibility that there is a creator. There is nothing to suggest there could be a flying spaghetti monster. I don't see any reason to believe in a god either, but it IS a possibility.

I never thought I would be arguing for the possibility of a god.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

What is your point here?

Atheism isn't about believing there is no god, it has everything to do with not believing in a god. You seem to profess otherwise on page 1.

There is nothing to suggest there could be a flying spaghetti monster

You got me there.

I don't see any reason to believe in a god either, but it IS a possibility.

This is what I think too. I still call myself an atheist because I don't believe in god, I am not a theist, even though I acknowledge it as one of many possibilities.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join