It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourist Slave Wages taking Aussie Jobs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm an Australian (7th generation) who just recently left a mid-level IT job, in my industry we have a great deal of migrant workers, mostly because we cant fill the number of positions with locals only; but also because a lot of the younger Australian-born IT workers dont posses the same work ethic as immigrants or older Australians. I have no problem with this; I would rather work with a migrant who can do his job than an Aussie who relies on me to do their job for them.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned "We cant all be lawyers..." or something to that effect; it is REALLY easy to get into a Laws degree, I applied for one during my work lunch break. Hence why Im no longer in IT. Re-skill if you fear redundancy; re-skill yourself if you are bored at work; do a degree just for sh**s and giggles, or be content in your own ignorance.

Im tempted to paint on the back of my ute: "F**K ON; WE'RE EMPTY!"

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

ah, so you gotta be white and of recent british or northern european descent to be australian then? the "australian" family history of any white aussie is well in it's infancy, you got no more right than anyone else who is prepared to contribute.

and dont australians clog-up bar jobs all over the world?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WorkingClassMan
It could also be argued that we saved the indig, wonder how things would of gone if the Dutch, Germ, Japs got here first...

Read some history...

Dutch: Dirk Hartog 1616; William Dampier 1688...

Japanese (or the derogatory "Japs" as you put them) had been coming to the NW coast for centuries before the Europeans settled; one only needs to look at the indigenous population of Broome--where the oriental influence on the local gene pool is apparent. (Ah Chee anyone?)

Typical eastern-seaboard-centric ignorance of national identity.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
And people wonder why Australia has a world-wide reputation for being an incredibly racist place. Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A, this thread. Obviously, you can't paint all Aussies with the same brush, but where theres smoke theres fire.

Does the hostility of your average Australian white trash have anything to do with the hostility of the country they live in? 90 per cent of animals in Australia are actively trying to kill you, and when you live in that environment all your life I wonder if it does something to your brain.

I'm honestly not sure how to take this post but since u laid it out there I have a question.

This world wide rep, Compared to who exactly, who are these shinning beacons in the world who cast the first stone.
Can you tell me why u think we are racist? Be specific not exhibit A.

If you actually want an honest opinion, I think a lot of the ill feelings some Anglo Aussies have is we have given blood sweat & tears to build this country and yet we are constantly made to feel like it is not ours, & we have something to be ashamed of, now bring in the do gooders these days who are to scared to stand up for fear of being labeled a racist/? & would rather just do what pleases others at our sacrifice. This leads to resentment it also leads others "immigrants & indig" to see us as soft & then they use us.
I have met racist people in my life & most of what people call racist isn't really so IMO. I don't see the diff in calling someone a coon or calling them fat/ugly/slut whatever. The word is designed to hurt if they think attacking your colour/race will be most effective doesn't necessarily mean they hate that race/colour. Nom sayen.

As far as I'm concerned this is my country as much as it is any Aboriginals & slightly more than any immigrants. I do think that is racist but some would disagree.

How do you make someone feel Australian when you are made to feel like your not Australian, it's not my country cause 200 years ago some pricks did what pricks were doing at the time.
Now 200 years later there are vast amounts of my own country I'm forbidden from stepping foot on because of my racial heritage, & the very people I'm supposed to be apologetic to, "even though I did nothing" are some of the most racist & violent in the country. The reasons are mute but the facts are accurate.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Working "tourists" are taking Aussie jobs because the Australians don't want those jobs. Just in the mining industry alone, are you aware of how so few Australians are lining up for those jobs? I know because I have contacts on the inside and thats why the mining companies go abroard for the workers! When I had this debate with a few Australians the other night and I told them why they don't want these well paid jobs their answer is this "well, we can't just pack up our families and go to WA"......my answer was "but Kiwis ARE packing up their families and moving countries just to get these jobs!".

This is rubbish no one cares about bar staff, fruit pickers, strippers or prostitutes, we like back packers. It is more about companies targeting overseas labour for other things mining, construction etc & doing so to lower pay & increase profits for them.

Mining jobs yeah sure, I'm a qualified diesel fitter, mechanic, and have good experiance in instrumentation. now during the time when these companies were on tv crying how they had to import workers cause they couldn't get them, I drove from northern NSW to Cape York & back applying for jobs every step of the way, with agencies, at mine sites, with subbies you name it.
Couldn'e even get a look in, first question do you have mining experience, A. NO. Response thanks for coming.
Now I was there in person reddy to go (showing initiative) great work history(with ref) in high demand feilds, current health & drug test, so u tell me what I was doing wrong I also sent out tonnes of resumes to WA.
There are jobs around but you have to be lucky or in the know. My brother just finished 2 years in Karatha & is looking for another project, he can't get 1 & all the new guys there are Cambodians.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
reply to post by WorkingClassMan

Crap, I have a large monitor and I can't read that. Something has gone amiss

Home for the night and back in the morning to ATS, I may have to copy and paste that into a word document so I can read it.

Will reply tomorow...

Thanks

Mickierocksman

I have to apologize for that I exceeded characters & it deleted the quote [] then I had to bail & now I have exceeded my edit time & can't fix it.
Sorry should of checked when I posted it.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

ah, so you gotta be white and of recent british or northern european descent to be australian then? the "australian" family history of any white aussie is well in it's infancy, you got no more right than anyone else who is prepared to contribute.

and dont australians clog-up bar jobs all over the world?

Who exactly said that? or implied it?

Let me see if I can understand, So in your opinion this would not be correct.
Natural born citizen > been here 5 minutes
Old digger who was born here fought for us > Japanese businessman who just came her to turn a profit.
Anglo born Aussie = Aboriginal born Aussie.
Anglo born Aussie > Refugee who illegally entered the country.

Of course we clog up the bar jobs, thats where the beer is.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz

It could also be argued that we saved the indig, wonder how things would of gone if the Dutch, Germ, Japs got here first...

Read some history...

Japanese (or the derogatory "Japs" as you put them) had been coming to the NW coast for centuries before the Europeans settled; one only needs to look at the indigenous population of Broome--where the oriental influence on the local gene pool is apparent. (Ah Chee anyone?)

Let me to clarify my statement for you I thought it obvious I was perhaps mistaken.
Colonized us instead of the Brits or are you under the impression they didn't do such things.

Do you see the boogie man behind every shadow? Let me to offer some words from a not so great leader.
"Be alert not alarmed"

If however you prefer the boogie man the picture this in whatever accent you want.
"Oh no he didn't" "Oh yes he did"

The Japanese or "Japs" as I type it sometimes as an abbreviation cause at times I make long ass posts & back myself up, resulting in characters running out, have a long history please take your own advise before you end up looking foolish.
Any particular reason you didn't try to make something out of "Germs".

Please though if you have a point by all means bring it but if possible refrain from using "Japs" in derogatory fashion, abbreviations such as Aussies, Lebs, Kiwis, Yanks, Poms you can use in whatever manner u see fit.
If you have some free time perhaps you could enlighten us on Japanese history I would be happy to hear your opinions perhaps we could start with topics such as the rape of Nanking or their special units activities "cough" atrocities. Maybe you would prefer something closer to home say, The Thai Burma railway, the rape of the nurses of Singapore, the bombing of Darwin, or any of the death camps. Try telling the people of SEA to learn their history.
Then if your silly enough you can try to tell us what a magical utopia this place would be for the indig if they had been colonised by the Dutch or Germans. I'm keen to hear how you try to polish them up.

Is the oriental influence Japanese or just oriental?

"Typical eastern-seaboard-centric ignorance of national identity"
What kind of crap statement is that, if that's the level of intelligence you bring to the debate, then sound the bell cause Schools in sucker.
By the way it's not about east or west it's about Natives & migrants, power & money, writers & punks.

I think I know which side your on!

Your going to have to explain this 1 to me, is it an attempt at a racial slur or what?
(Ah Chee anyone?)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Not every Australian can be a Lawyer, Doctor or Teacher ect.

Firstly .. Why not?

Second not everyone wants to

Because the country would fall apart. If all low wage workers went on a permanent general strike till they were working for a living middle middle class wage and houses, utilities and food were controlled like they should be and are in Norway, so more people have more money at the end of the day and at the end of their taxes. Did you know Norway has taxes for most middle class that are comparative to all of our tax schemes, but only higher with less holes at higher levels, and higher sales tax. But they have controlled necessities and more money in their pockets when its all said and done and get the Highest standard of Living award over and over again usually.

The higher jobs are extra's, fringe, and the ones underpaid are the necessities of life, even no pay, like parenting.

The ABC's and 123's of life are this: generational (ie kids and parenting), farming and farm labor (and we want organic and non GMO at good prices. Farmers always subsidize the food industry by what they're paid. They get next to nothing. Many years in Canada if you are forced to sell to a co-op, YOU OWE THEM money. And for pittance you get the Supermarkets don't make 100 percent markup, but they make 800% markups, normally. I know we had a farm and a farmer's market and used to price the supermakets in town, even used the same winter supplier as the IGA did, Terminal at the coast.

First parent, food, house builders, then doctors and teachers on an even keel for education and health are equal.

The rest is gravy.

So, I'm sorry ALL people, ALL need good wages, and we need Housing, Food and Utlities controlled and low prices. No one, should have no land, everyone's rent should be rent to own, on a sliding scale and no one should pay more than 1/3 their income with utilities for: payments, including taxes and insurance.

And that is just being civilized, having your tax dollars and your government work for you, as its Your Money. Not coming at a price tag of their massive control laws.

But good common sense.

If the bottom earners, say 1/3 went on a permanent general strike, and had some working doing shifts to support it, so they couldnt starve them off, had ingenius ways of keeping food and coffee flowing, the WORLD WOULD GRIND TO A HALT.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
CRICKEY MATE!!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by titzycronulla
reply to post by Mickierocksman

May I ask what area in Sydney you live in?

Grew up in Cronulla until 18, lived in Sydney (CBD) for the past 27 years except for travelling etc

Why do you ask?

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Read some history...

You are correct sir, great post.

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

ah, so you gotta be white and of recent british or northern european descent to be australian then?

Aparently to some, the minority hopefully.

Good post mate.

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem
CRICKEY MATE!!

Struth, what-ya-want man?

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Apologies to those I have not gotten back to.

The dreaded lurgy has got me today and I need to stay in bed.

Will return when I can sit on a chair and type without spinning out... gotta keep the snot off my screen's
May use phone to read current news... lots happening today.

Later - Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Let me to clarify my statement for you I thought it obvious I was perhaps mistaken.
Colonized us instead of the Brits or are you under the impression they didn't do such things.

It is true that Australia adopted the common law system from the UK; this is the key difference we hold over nations "colonised" by code law countries. This has given us our democracy; separation of powers, and that document we know as the constitution. These things most take for granted, but they underpin our identity more than VB and a red motor.

Do you see the boogie man behind every shadow? Let me to offer some words from a not so great leader.
"Be alert not alarmed"

Im not alarmed. The only boogie man I fear is ignorance and hatred weakly veiled in false nationalism.

If however you prefer the boogie man the picture this in whatever accent you want.
"Oh no he didn't" "Oh yes he did"

Howabout that nasal drawn out slur that is so typical of the Western Sydney plebs (think: "go wabbidoz")

The Japanese or "Japs" as I type it sometimes as an abbreviation cause at times I make long ass posts & back myself up, resulting in characters running out, have a long history please take your own advise before you end up looking foolish.

Abbreviation; Derogatory Slur. We can agree to disagree, I will let the reader make their destinction. As to looking foolish, again, lets let the reader draw their own conclusions.

Any particular reason you didn't try to make something out of "Germs".

All I could think about regarding German influence on Australia was my Mercedes-Benz Im restoring; not really of interest to anyone other than myself or other Merc enthusiasts. I'd happily bore you with the inner workings of a K-Jet if you really require something off topic...

Please though if you have a point by all means bring it but if possible refrain from using "Japs" in derogatory fashion, abbreviations such as Aussies, Lebs, Kiwis, Yanks, Poms you can use in whatever manner u see fit.

Id say "Lebs" would fit into the derogatory category, also many Americans (from the confederate states) find it derogatory to call them Yanks. Kiwis label themselves as such.

If you have some free time perhaps you could enlighten us on Japanese history I would be happy to hear your opinions perhaps we could start with topics such as the rape of Nanking or their special units activities "cough" atrocities. Maybe you would prefer something closer to home say, The Thai Burma railway, the rape of the nurses of Singapore, the bombing of Darwin, or any of the death camps. Try telling the people of SEA to learn their history.

The war ended in 1945 when Japan surrendered to the allied forces--how many years ago was that? or does Australia's more recent history with Japan as a peaceful trading partner not count because we we once at war with them. If you hold onto the anxieties of the past how do you expect to function in the present, let alone adapt to the future?

Then if your silly enough you can try to tell us what a magical utopia this place would be for the indig if they had been colonised by the Dutch or Germans. I'm keen to hear how you try to polish them up.

"Polish them up"? ok, I'll bite. Being that neither the Dutch nor the Germans are nuclear powers; it would follow that the colonial government would not allow neuclear testing from its former colonial power. Or did the nuking of the indigenous tribes of the Warburton Rangers escape your version of "The Territorial Imperative". Even Rupert Murdoch reported on that one!.

Is the oriental influence Japanese or just oriental?

Both Japanese and Chinese sailors visited the pearling coast centuries prior to European charting of the coast.

"Typical eastern-seaboard-centric ignorance of national identity"
What kind of crap statement is that, if that's the level of intelligence you bring to the debate, then sound the bell cause Schools in sucker.
By the way it's not about east or west it's about Natives & migrants, power & money, writers & punks.

It just seems to me, living on this side of the country, that the most bigoted, ignorant, xenophobic slurs to come from my countrymen, happen to come from NSW or QLD. It could be my misinterpretation of the discourse. Or maybe its because this western state was built by the migrant workforce, and not the landed gentry that wished to place suffrage only to those 6 pastoral holding families (Again, this fact is not widely known, but if you look into the history of federation it is ABSOLUTELY clear this was Lord Forrests intention; and one of the reasons the sandgroper state is not considered an "original" state in...

I think I know which side your on!

I am on the side that dispises witnessing his country defamed by the racist slurs of the uneducated.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman

Read some history...

You are correct sir, great post.

Mickierocksman

Thank you, I couldnt sit idle on this... Im lost for words... people from outside Australia need to know that the "Dumb, Drunk and Racist" are a vocal minority and that the majority of us can function as global citizens.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I 'm sorry for you. Please keep in mind that this is a worldwide phenomenon and that the world over the first world countries are seeing their wages being third world scale.

Also look at the way inflation has eaten away your spendable income as the Australian Dollar loses buying power... while your real wage remain flat...

I see it here in the USA too .... soon we will have a third world country to go with our third world wages...

The only way I have found to compensate is to start my own small business cutting out those skimming off of my labor.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I 'm sorry for you. Please keep in mind that this is a worldwide phenomenon and that the world over the first world countries are seeing their wages being third world scale.

This is what my post is about "Wages - Becoming Third World Scale". This is not Racism!!!

As a 14yo back in 1984 I was recieving $500 Dollars a week as a "Jackaroo". I would drive trucks, lay cement, put up fencing ect (Jackaroo = Jack of all Trades) We would work from sunrise till sunset 6 days a week. It was common place for 14, 15, 16 year olds to be doing this type of work in "The Outback" 28 years ago.

Flash forward to 2012 and inflation has skyrocketed, but wages for so called "Unskilled Labour" has gone backwards.

I think it's because immgrants from Third World Countries are willing to work for peanuts. Backpackers are willing to work for Peanuts - and Capitalism thrives on Slavery.

This is not a dig at these people, it's a dig at the Greedy Corporations who will "Work the Willing Horse".

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

This is what my post is about "Wages - Becoming Third World Scale". This is not Racism!!!

As a 14yo back in 1984 I was recieving $500 Dollars a week as a "Jackaroo". I would drive trucks, lay cement, put up fencing ect (Jackaroo = Jack of all Trades) We would work from sunrise till sunset 6 days a week. It was common place for 14, 15, 16 year olds to be doing this type of work in "The Outback" 28 years ago.

Flash forward to 2012 and inflation has skyrocketed, but wages for so called "Unskilled Labour" has gone backwards.

I think it's because immgrants from Third World Countries are willing to work for peanuts. Backpackers are willing to work for Peanuts - and Capitalism thrives on Slavery.

This is not a dig at these people, it's a dig at the Greedy Corporations who will "Work the Willing Horse".

My brother in law last week worked approx 50 hours last week as a hardworking early to rise late to sleep Taxi Driver on the Gold Coast of Australia... he Grossed $ 480.00.
He receives no holiday or sick pay or super, approx four years or so ago a rally was held on the Gold coast in which my Brother in Law and his son attended, it was a rally against the deal described above.

The vocal leader of this rally a war veteran was railroaded out of the industry I was told.
Within a few months of the rally approx 200 indian citizens were imported into Australia and put to work in the extra Taxis the government put on the road after this rally.
No one dares complain anymore.
The government politicans own some of these licenses, but they cannot be named , as the taxi plate owners are protected by legislation ie they are silent owners.
But my brother in law who drives a different car sometimes every few days has read the mandatory Rego owners papers that are kept in the glovebox of every Taxi.
All the rich famous sportstars as well all getting richer whilst exploited Human beings both Aussie and Indian ect, are working for less than 60% of the minimum hourly wage.
Fair go Australia? ...its all a sham.
A grown man working his life away for ten bucks an hour, no super for his pension, no holidays, no sick days, doing a job most people would give away after a day.
This nation is not fair, and before you say , well why doesn't he get out of Taxi driving?

He has applied for over three hundred jobs this year ....two interviews, no job.
He actually loves driving, but is almost ashamed he is a Taxi driver and that his son cannot get out of the exploititive industry.

The industry is full of ex IT aussies by the way, as well as ex Manufacturing industry workers, Teachers, degree holders, ect ect.
I drove Taxis as a student way back , I was lucky Iwas young enough to be able to get an education , my brother in law chose to be a Potter, he was a very very good Potter, but the Govt in mid to late nineties reduced the import tariffs, now all the terracotta products are imported Asian , just another true blue industry gone , amongst many.

Sometimes Iam truly ashamed to think of the sellout of a nation whose young men died defending in the past and continue to do today,
The fine patriots who sold us and sell us out all have escape homes in Europe, thos ewho tell us we should align ourselves to China, why do we think they say such things?
MONEY LOTS OF MONEY...to betray ones nation once is hard but then it becomes easy.
This is not Australia.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join