It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourist Slave Wages taking Aussie Jobs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Australia - Where is my Job?, and I don't mean $5 Bucks an Hour

In Australia unemployment is on the Rise, and "Working Tourists" are dragging down our wages. I see it more often by the day, there is less and less secure long term work. Greedy Mega-Corporations are hiring backpacker tourists on a "Working Holiday" for a fraction of what "Aussies" would get paid. The tourists all squeeze into cheap accomadation (up to 15 people in a single bedroom apartment) to save their stolen Aussie wages.

It's a great scoop for the employers

No Overtime, No Holiday Pay, No Set Minimum Wages and so on. Just get the workers in - on a dirt cheap slave wage, say Sayonara when the workers leave, and then go prowling the Backpacker Hostel for more Slaves.

I quit my job at the Brisbane Markets in disgust after recieving $500 Dollars for working a 72 Hour week. Before starting I wasn't given a straight anwser about the wages, and it was almost Taboo to ask. The is the case all over Australia in various feilds. - Something needs to be done

edit on 15-8-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
wow talk about us winngin pomms no seriously in the uk it is the same open the gates & let in was the motto no pay rises for 10 plus years at least in australia they go home here they get new houses etc etc blame our glorious leaders

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

It's like a revolving door - Slave in/ Slave out.

Aussies aren't lazy, but we are "Labeled" this way because we don't accept $5 Bucks an Hour.

This sucks big time.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

just sit back & retire then i did best thing i ever did do homers work for cash in hand there is always somebody wanting work done

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro

just sit back & retire then i did best thing i ever did do homers work for cash in hand there is always somebody wanting work done

Already done my friend. I will never work for "The Man" again. I produce small peices of Indigenous Artwork and sell them to the local gallerys.
It pays the Bills.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Have you ever considered upskilling yourself. ?

Wages are proportional to skills and the type of job you do.

consider mining, there really is plenty of jobs on offer.

Anyway backpackers get their 5 bucks an hour for the job they do.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Have you ever considered upskilling yourself. ?

Wages are proportional to skills and the type of job you do.

consider mining, there really is plenty of jobs on offer.

Anyway backpackers get their 5 bucks an hour for the job they do.

I'm quite happy doing what I do now. I have put in a "Good 25 Years" into the Workforce, I'm too old to start over.
And I like working from home with no set hours.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I came out here on a working holiday visa nearly 5yrs ago with 6mates, the lowest we ever got paid in our various jobs in alot of places was the minimum wage, think it was about $14. Never came across anybody working for less than min wage, although I'm sure there is a few.....

I wish you luck in your new line of work and also it might be worth giving fair work australia a call about your old boss and his crappy pay, stop them from doing it to anyone else.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Now I'm just using the Brisbane Markets as an example, but this is Australia Wide.

These are pics of the Brissie Markets - Try to Spot the Aussie

Not every Australian can be a Lawyer, Doctor or Teacher ect.

There are thousands of jobs at the Brisbane Markets, and huge profits for the Fruit and Veg Companies.

Aussies who have limited choices/education deserve a Fair Wage too.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

what about baggage handlers?? what skill sets do they have as opposed to say an engineer or doctor?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodnut86
I came out here on a working holiday visa nearly 5yrs ago with 6mates, the lowest we ever got paid in our various jobs in alot of places was the minimum wage, think it was about $14. Never came across anybody working for less than min wage, although I'm sure there is a few.....

I wish you luck in your new line of work and also it might be worth giving fair work australia a call about your old boss and his crappy pay, stop them from doing it to anyone else.

Can I ask what kind of work you did?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos
reply to post by magma

what about baggage handlers?? what skill sets do they have as opposed to say an engineer or doctor?

Baggage handlers could in fact be engineers or doctors. they may be working in a different field, however when taking a job you agree on a pay structure and working conditions

Baggage handlers have to have security clearance

I think though if you are comparing baggage handlers to doctors and engineers reagrding their skill sets then a simple search online would tell you the answer

I am not sure where you are coming from with your question unless you believe that baggage handlers should be on the same salary as doctors. If that is the case then economics would also be a good place to do some research.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Firstly .. Why not?

Second not everyone wants to

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

not really im implying that baggage handlers dont need no skill set, just need to be reliable.. and they get paid a decent dollar.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

thats a bit tough to spot the austrlian in those pics..

its like this spot the australian in this pic

hard to tell who is the australian just by the looks alone.... citizenship means you are Australian regardless of race or where you came from.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Firstly .. Why not?

Second not everyone wants to

Why not? Come on now, seriously? - Some People (Bless Them) just don't have the Brain Capacity.

The "You can do whatever you set your mind to" talk is just a Fairy Tale. People have Limits.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

So with that being understood, what was the problem again?

That's right tourists taking Aussie jobs.

There is a parodox in that

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Wow, another racist thread from another racist Aussie so it seems on the surface……

I am assuming that you also don’t agree that people seeking asylum (the boat people) should enter this country either?

I proudly call myself an Aussie, born and raised in Sydney after many generations….. but I am also an Aussie that has grown to see that the ‘way things were’ will ‘never be again’…. you can’t stop these changes; nor should we try.

I manage many staff here at an Aussie company and now when I recruit I am very certain that I will get zero Australian ‘born and bred’ applicants for a ‘normal office job’ in the middle of our biggest city.

This does not bother me anymore as I have amongst my staff the most diverse range of people from all over the globe from Syria to Columbia, the Philippines to Ireland and they all work well together, they do work hard & I can see that multiculturalism can and does work.

All of these people have either a visa to work here, or are applying to become citizens, we also pay over above award wages.

I will concede that a small portion of businesses that think they can get away with it will try and do so, they should be reported.

As you started he thread, I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you like people from other nations? If so, which ones?
2. Should people from other nations be allowed to come here and work?
3. Have you ever worked in any other country?
4. Should employers pay a fair and reasonable wage to all employees? If yes, should bargaining to get a job be made illegal?
5. Why do you think I get zero ‘Aussie’ applicants for my positions vacant?

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
There is no Australia in the old sense anymore, just as there is no Britain.

To think that anyone cares that a born and bred Australian whose forbears fought in the great wars is left on the unemployment queue whilst foreign companies import cheap labour from their homelands ie 7/11 stores , many many security companies within Australian cities, telecommunication jobs ect, airport jobs , ect ect is naive.

Just as during the wars against Hitler and mussolini bred black market profiteers and legal arms profiteers, so does peace, an Aussie sells out another Aussie if they are morally bankrupt.

Our government allows the very rapid change of the workforce ...for one very simple reason....money in their pockets.

Treason becomes acceptable when the press is part of the treason.

We are all just another sold out race.

Accept the takeover the change of your suburb your city your nation, else you will become very very bitter and depressed.

On ANZAC day however know this ...many died before reaching even twenty years old defending Australia, and the politicians spat on them, from the lowest moral ground.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Yes Doctor, immigration from other cultures and races, and illegals, has changed Australia from the marvellous country it was... it is still the best in the world, but we need to protect our pioneer heritage and race. The majority of Australians agree, but somehow politicians get elected who act against the wishes of the nation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join