It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a Government informant? Would you even know?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Most of you are probably familiar with this:
Upload a picture of someone, and next thing you know, you're tagging whoever is in it and possibly even geo-tagging where the photo was taken.

Have you ever considered why you do this?
Certainly it's fun, and cool, and trendy, as well as any other reason, but, this is a conspiracy website, so, what's really going on?

Why would it be important to get data on what faces belong to who?
Well, considering that most facial recognition databases only contain data relevant to known criminals, it might be worthwhile to collect data on EVERYONE else on the planet, just to be thorough. Ya know?

The more you tag your friends, the more you willingly, voluntarily, of your own free will contribute to building a better facial recognition system and database that will track and monitor EVERYONE.

What about geo-tagging them? Well, it'd certainly be nice to know where one could find these people, especially if at some future time they become persons of interest. No?

Sure, it sounds a little paranoid, but, consider how convenient these nifty tools are and have been made to be.
The minute you upload a new photo to one of these social informant *cough*, um, networking sites, you're being prompted to tag and locate whomever is in the photo.
Why so insistent and so convenient?

Would you inform on your friends to the government?
Would you be a snitch?

Thing is, if you're tagging and locating your friends, you very well already ARE informing on your friends.
And here you were thinking you'd never be a traitor to the ones you love.

Most people get up in arms about privacy issues regarding camera getting put up in public everywhere, but, the cameras are nothing. They're in public. Who cares? Such cameras should be the very LEAST of your concerns.
The real concern is where you, personally, voluntarily, and happily like the pre-programmed and good little mind controlled sock puppet robots social engineering has helped you to be, go willingly out to spy on and inform on your friends, and even your own self.

You've a camera on that cell phone you carry, and probably GPS too. You might want to be a little concerned about that. It's potentially a lot more invasive of your privacy than some camera in public as you take your phone with you everywhere, and that phone can be used remotely by any government or secret agency that knows how to take any and all information you've got on it, including logs and histories of text, photos, websites, emails, and anything else you've done on it or used it for, as well as actively spying on you and your friends in real time.

Are you a government informant?
Would you even know if your were?

edit on 14-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Considering that my cell phone is equipped with GPS... if Big Brother really wanted to track me - he's got a much easier method for doing so.

I do believe that much of what happens electronically does fall into the data mining category - but rarely does it focus upon individuals. There are entire sciences, now, built upon the study of groups and group behaviors. Data mining is used very effectively to monitor, effect, and even control public opinions.

So, yes, we're all spying on ourselves and each other... just not in the way we think we might be.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I pay taxes...

That pretty much tells them everything.

The facial recognition is for your own protection.

Now....Don't you feel better?

S&F For the Heads up...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I believe we are all government informants by just posting on ATS, don't you think? Looking at the things they got coming out and the new facility the NSA is building in Utah, gonna be hard for anyone who uses the internet to stay off the grid....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They already have my picture, and finger prints

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yes I am. And I was sent here to monitor this site and collect information on the people on it....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I was going to the same thing as Justin did. They already have my photo, finger prints, and my DNA sequence.

I was in the military. I'm already tagged and bagged, so to speak.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I do believe that much of what happens electronically does fall into the data mining category - but rarely does it focus upon individuals. There are entire sciences, now, built upon the study of groups and group behaviors. Data mining is used very effectively to monitor, effect, and even control public opinions.

So, yes, we're all spying on ourselves and each other... just not in the way we think we might be.

~Heff

Certainly.
Most of the data mining, as well as social engineering/programming extent in Westernized culture is indeed geared more toward and for the monitor and suggestible influence of the larger collective.

Part of the fun, however, is that there's a collective at all. More and more, it's become pervasively convenient to plug in to these social networks, to join in and become part of said collective.

Through such collectives, you essentially get a human bot-net, just like with computers. People are easier to control, and influence in groups than they are directly individually. However, through collective suggestion, programming, and influence, as a derivative effect, individual adherents to any social collective can indeed be pushed through blanket suggestibility coupled with a susceptibility to influence through social and peer pressures, and just a little bit of personal attention targeted directly through ads, or other media.

All in all, yes, the brunt of this data gathering is indeed more applicable to monitoring and influencing groups, populations, and other collective interests. The data, and systems in place can, however, be used for more micro-managerial tasks if need be.

We are all, at least most, spying on ourselves, and each other.
Most of us don't even really care.
It is fun to watch and be aware of it at least and in small ways, in an individual level, some can even avoid the greater social programming and influences so pervasive and extent throughout the media.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Most people get up in arms about privacy issues regarding camera getting put up in public everywhere, but, the cameras are nothing. They're in public. Who cares? Such cameras should be the very LEAST of your concerns.

You missed placing a
at the end of this statement for surely you jest.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
That's why my GPS/camera is tucked up in two cases-one you can buy from a shop and one I made-a leather one that looks like Shaun the Sheep.
It is a bit hard to get out but I don't want to be photographed and I think it may be hard to hear through two layers. (Fingers crossed.)

I even stop the IMEI tracker and the voice recognition software when it gets turned on, everytime I am texted.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yep too late for me too the feds have had my prints and such since the 1980's...Yes I was a bad girl back in the day...haha

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

My thoughts here:

Unless you have specific reason to be worried about being tracked then I'd personally do exactly the opposite. Data has a fun quality - too much of it becomes meaningless and impossible to manage. This is why programs like Carnivore are forced to only detect keywords of strings or keywords and do not have the capacity to record or analyze every communication fully.

Enough people throwing enough data clogs the drains.

~Heff
edit on 8/14/12 by Hefficide because: typos are my speciality

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Applicable to the premise of this thread, readers may also be interested in this other thread posted by member daaskapital:

Facebook concept recognizes you by the photos you upload

Please consider again some of the things I've discussed regarding facial recognition.

The technology gets better, advances progressively, and enables us all the more and more to spy on ourselves and each other more effectively than any one agency could ever dream to do on its own, all done willingly, voluntarily by anyone and everyone that's plugged in as a subscriber to the grand social engineering/programming project.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

reply to post by AriesJedi

My thoughts here:

Unless you have specific reason to be worried about being tracked then I'd personally do exactly the opposite. Data has a fun quality - too much of it becomes meaningless and impossible to manage. This is why programs like Carnivore are forced to only detect keywords of strings or keywords and do not have the capacity to record or analyze every communication fully.

Enough people throwing enough data clogs the drains.

~Heff
edit on 8/14/12 by Hefficide because: typos are my speciality

False premise.

Specific data is scanned in the data mining and intelligence gathering process not every bit and byte. We have more than reasonable evidentiaries that all data is archived.

If for whatever reason you find yourself in the system i.e. under investigation for cause or [randomly] investigated without cause. then your entire data file(s) can be searched from top to bottom. Every text, every credit card transaction, your surfing history (if exposed), credit, medical...

The premise that too much data is a deterrent is no longer is an issue.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
yes i am sitting here in all black, with my black hat and twirling my big black mustache.

you are all being watched

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumQuackers

Can you please source the claim that all digital communications are being archived? Or even that they are all being individually monitored - beyond the keyword level?

Thanks in advance,

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

reply to post by QuantumQuackers

Can you please source the claim that all digital communications are being archived?

Quoting "We have more than reasonable evidentiaries that all data is archived.

I would cite Tom Drake, Kirk Wiebe and William Binney and much discussion among NSA cryptologists and former employees on Usenet alt.privacy.* groups.

Originally posted by HefficideOr even that they are all being individually monitored - beyond the keyword level?

I was clear that individual monitoring only came if there was a causal or noncausal investigation of an individual. This can only be fully accomplished by first collecting data - at the ISP, VPN, ToR node, email provider, cellular service provider ad infinitum - then mining it for the desired reports.

As to "beyond the keyboard level", I don't understand the context? Are you concerned with logging, biometric or by byte?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
We all are, to an extent.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The thing that utterly baffles me is how people (in general) will get so up in arms over simple, dumb, physical layer devices like CCTV cameras being put in public places where they're put up in PUBLIC.

Compared to that, getting duped, tricked, conned, manipulated into actually informing on yourself, and your friends, willingly, would seem to be the bigger issue by far, but, seemingly no, because the very conveniences, gadgets, apps, websites, social networking hubs and such that facilitate this sock puppetry are so, so convenient, cool, and a much better way to keep in contact with ones peers.

It's like volunteering for date rape, to be used, just because you get some small convenient token service out of it, and not only volunteering, but doing so willingly, and even being happy about it to the extent that you want all your friends to be doing the same thing.
"Hey kids. Let's spy and inform on each other for the government because it's a cool way to keep in touch and it's fun!".
It's like Tom Sawyer duping the other kids into doing his chores, into whitewashing the fence for him.

... but, it's okay, because it's fun and cool and assists in making life and contact with friends more convenient?

Sure, let's get angry about those CCTV camera in public, in PUBLIC, when you and your friends are happily doing a much better job at informing on each other.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Willingly participating in date rape = posting to Facebook? These are similar choices?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join