It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with my Avatar Picture/ Posting space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Was not sure if this should be in 'Member Art', 'Computer Help' or 'Website Design' forums as it maybe part of all 3.

Anyway the issue is this, when I designed my avatar picture I see it sometimes has the top clipped off. Now, being the arty precise type, I would then think I had misjudged something and then go back to good old photoshop and move it down a little within the framework of the background. I would then re-upload it and it would be fine in that post that I had checked it out in before, but then when I go to another post it is too far down.

So the question is, why does my picture, which seems in the correct place in one post, suddenly not be in the correct place in a different post?

Also why does the picture showing in the profile section where you edit things (like the preview pic) look different to how it looks once you save it to your profile, especially in relation to spacing for profile lettering etc.
See pics below

How it looks in some threads (they way it is supposed to look)

How it can then look in a different thread, though nothing has been changed in the edit section
(even the stars seem to be getting chopped off at the top)

How it looks in the pre-view profile editing page

Anyone else having these issues or know how to stop them? Is it my browser?

Answers on a postcard to.......................

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Your avatar is too big. It can't be over 160 x 320. See this post

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This thread is specifically for getting help with avatars from very talented graphic artists/experts, here on ATS. They did my avy for me. Fast Fun Free....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It is not too big, if it were it would be clipped at the bottom (I know this as I did tests of different sizes). Also my picture is in the 'background' field which has a larger limit plus If it were too big it would be clipped all the time, not just sometimes (along with the stars at the top too).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos

It is not too big, if it were it would be clipped at the bottom (I know this as I did tests of different sizes). Also my picture is in the 'background' field which has a larger limit plus If it were too big it would be clipped all the time, not just sometimes (along with the stars at the top too).

Right click your image and click on properties. Do that with your original picture, not the one on a post. If your avatar is too big, it will still display, but will be truncated. Try that with your opening posts, too, and you will see the sizes vary. Just trying to help. It's happened to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reduce it by 1/2, upload it again...and it will be uniform wherever you post it

Its all in the sizing

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I know you are trying to help, and thank your for that

What I do not understand is how it can be ok for size in one thread and not in another, the background image is the same in both threads. Are you saying the field within which it is allocated changes size from thread to thread?
I also found having it slightly smaller than the allowable area makes it tile and so I end up with bits of the top of the picture in at the bottom and/or the side.
It looks like it is the whole post that gets the top cut off as the stars to the right of my avatar background picture also have the tops missing and I don't understand why the size of my background, even if it was too big, would do that. I also observed that it was looking fine one second and all I did was refresh the page, and that was enough to change it to a clipped top for that thread.
Also when I did an oversized test picture it placed the picture in the top left corner of the field and cropped the bottom and right hand side. So truncating it because it is too big, all be it inconsistently still does not explain why it is the top that is being cut off. Can you see why I am confused over this?

top topics

join