Off-Duty Cop Crashes Motorcycle Into Little Girl Then Kills Her Enraged Dad!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

The officer was on a northbound motorcycle heading home about 10 p.m. after his shift in a West Side police station and saw a 4-year-old girl dart into the street in the 1100 block of South 1st Avenue, authorities said

The 4-year-old girl was taken to Loyola hospital for observation with bruises and contusions.

Camden said the officer's decision to bail from the bike prevented a head-on collision.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

That title (I know it is the one from the article) is very misleading. The entire story after the title is written with the father looking like the bad guy, but for those that only read titles, it will look like this cop was a monster.

It sounds to me like this father wasn't put together very good in the first place, the little girl might be better off without him. Rather than rushing to help her, he rushes to beat up the other guy?
I mean, if it was my little girl, I might have eventually gotten around to revenge, but the first priority is the little girl.

I feel bad for this cop. He apparently wasn't doing anything wrong when she darted out in front of him, and he apparently tried to miss her and injured himself in the process, and then he had to kill a man and take a father away from the little girl. That guy will never be right in the head again.

I have a 4 year old and a 5 year old, and they don't dart out into streets. This girl wasn't raised right, wasn't properly supervised, and apparently wasn't as important to her father as his rage was. I think she's probably better off.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If it hadn't been an off duty police officer riding the bike and pulling the trigger, then who would have been the bad guy here?

Where is the higher standard? Is a badge an excuse or a responsibility?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
It sounds like poop sandwich all the way around. Enraged people doing stupid things, carelessness resulting in tragedy, injured people, dead people. What a disaster.

With regards to a few comments on here, some folks are wired only to look for a good guy and a bad guy. In this case confusion will reign in the brains of those incapable of deconstructing complex, real world, piles of crap. Sorry to those folks, as there is no winner or loser here. No moral high ground. Just a very sad affair.

I have to agree. This is all about emotions. Let's face it, a cop is still a human being. If I accidentally hit someone with a motorcycle I am still going to be emotionally devastated to know that I hurt someone. If the little girl was mine, I would've be out of my mind and out of control with rage. If I were the cop being beaten, I would've felt that the enraged father would kill me if I just let him keep beating on me.

It's a no-win situation.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
[for clarity's sake]
No matter what version of the story, a four years old is in the hospital and her father is dead. The cop guy is at home with his family.

The cop guy was in a bike accident and was allegedly pummeled by three people, yet not serious enough to go to the hospital, but it was serious enough to shot someone.

If this family didn't have contact with the cop guy, no one would have been injured or killed.

take the 'point' off the barb and it's just another fish hook, huh?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

What if we re-write the story?

What if the story starts a bit sooner, with the father in a restaurant drinking, while his daughter is tugging at him begging to go do something else. The father is annoyed with her, not ready to leave, and decides it is a decent idea to just let an 18 year old cousin take her outside for a bit. The cousin is not a parent, and apparently the little girl hasn't had much parenting, because she runs out into a street where a motorcyclist cannot possible avoid her. Rather than the motorcyclist just running her flat over and possible killing her, he kicks off the bike hoping to make it miss, and he skids and tumbles in another direction. It works, because she is luckily only scraped and bruised, but not dead, and as he attempts to help her, some drunken father runs out and starts to pummel him. Now, no one is helping the frightened and injured little girl, and instead they are further injuring the man that has already sacrificed his body in an attempt to save the little girl who wasn't properly supervised in the first place. He doesn't want to resort to his gun, but he's already injured from the crash, and he is being pummelled 3 grown people, so he has to fire. He'll live with all of these decisions for the rest of his life. Was he going to fast, could he have done something differently, could he have taken the beating until the cops showed up? He'll never know the answers, and since he is an off-duty cop the public will assume he is a monster.

I ride a motorcycle. I've laid it down to avoid a bigger crash. I've seen others die right in front of my eyes trying to not lay one down. I've been in fights where I was outnumbered.

I can see myself in that guys shoes.

I'm also a father of 2 boys about the same age as this girl. I know they won't run out into traffic, and I know they get bored very quickly and they'll start to wander and get into trouble if I'm not giving them attention. I know if I was at a restaurant near a busy street, there is no way in hell they would be out of my sight for a second, even if there was a semi-adult cousin around. In fact, they have some semi-adult cousins, and those kids are not as well-behaved as my kids. I'd trust my 4 and 5 year old decision making over their 16 and 18 year old cousins any day.

Its a tragedy, no doubt. But instead of saying those that family would be fine if they had never encountered this cop/guy, why not say this cop/guy would be fine if he had never encountered this half-ass family?

A 4 year old should know better than to run into a street, a father should no better than to take his eyes off a 4 year old, and an adult should know the first priority is to tend to the injured child AND injured cyclist, and once all the facts are known, maybe you beat him up later.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
[for clarity's sake]
No matter what version of the story, a four years old is in the hospital and her father is dead. The cop guy is at home with his family.

The cop guy was in a bike accident and was allegedly pummeled by three people, yet not serious enough to go to the hospital, but it was serious enough to shot someone.

If this family didn't have contact with the cop guy, no one would have been injured or killed.

take the 'point' off the barb and it's just another fish hook, huh?

If your attempting to make a point I missed it.

Let me rephrase: Yet another situation where a families contact with local law enforcement ends with a family tragedy. Protect and serve? Or commit a felony and then kill?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Sorry. From the OP's link it sounded as if the girl died.

Not sure what that has to do with anything?

If I were attacked under any circumstances, you get shot. I wouldn't wait to see if I were going to win the fight, wait to figure out how far you'd take the attack, I wouldn't wait for you to grab a weapon of your own. You die. It's honestly that simple. Don't instigate a fight where people can carry, it may be the last thing you do.

Actually... it should be something more like "If the father had not been an ignorant ass and double teamed a man trying to help his daughter he'd still be alive"
edit on 8/14/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
What if we re-write the story?

Unfortunately, the 'story' has already been written by all involved.

It's sad, no matter the eventual outcome, be that an injured 4 year old ... or worse yet, an injured little girl and her now dead 'father'.

My point being simply that the latter could have very well been avoided had cooler heads, common sense and reason played a more integral role in the matter throughout.

My condolence to the man's family, and I wish the little girl the speediest of recoveries possible.

Accidents happen - Some end worse than others. People introduce that 'variable' and make near anything possible nowadays.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Have a kid and see how rational you are when a idiot hurts them?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Wow!!! Even good parents know that it takes 1 sec for a kid to get in trouble!!
Kids don't magically stop what they're doing because we say no!!! That's why they're kids and that's why we punish them to teach them so they can be safe!!!

It's so rude and condescending and very self- righteous of you to judge this father as you have!!! We don't know the full story!

Just last week I had 2 adults ride threw my neighborhood way above the posted limit...I can see a kid running after a ball...why? Because they're kids!! I can also see a parent running after th child but Un- able to catch him because a motorist decides not to abide by the posted speed limit.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

My priority would be for MY CHILD, not worried about anything damn or anyone else
All you people that would have jumped the cop first, xcongrats, you win the father of the year award
Stupid and pathetic

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

What part of 'on his way home' is so hard to garner, appreciate ... aren't you 'off duty' when not clocked in at work?

So was he ... On His Way Home.

Why the attempted and obvious 'need' to tie his employment as a police officer into all this ... the guy bailed from his bike to avoid hitting her headon ... and yet the bike skidded and struck her anyway.

He was apparently in the process of aiding the young lady when her father, friend and cousin went all whoopass on him...

Tell me what's wrong with that picture ... because it sure wouldn't seem to be on the part of the off duty, on his way home, police officer.

*haters gotta hate, i guess*

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Ok lets say it was you riding the motorcycle, and you hit a pedestrian. This is vehicular assault a felony, then lets say the family attacked you for injuring a child and you shot one to death because you feared for your life.

You would be awaiting trial for vehicular assault and murder, but the police on or off duty have more rights than the rest of us.

I feel for the little girl and the family and I don't view the police officer as a victim in all of this. Do you?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The fact he was actually a cop and not a CCW carrier like so many people are now is probably what saved the Cousin's life and wasn't there mention of another friend as well? This describes the man (cop as it happens, when working) down, on the ground being attacked by at least 2 and maybe 3 in an ongoing 'pummeling' as one article puts it.

The cop describes feeling he was about to lose consciousness.

Okay, I want to mention something. CCW or cop, this doesn't matter. If you're armed, whether anyone knows it yet or not....and you fear you may lose consciousness? It's reasonable to assume those beating you into literal black out will find the gun after your out and you may or may not ever wake up again after that. NOT losing control of the gun is the ONLY priority that exists.

....and he shot him in the groin. Once. First, my CCW class taught 2 +1 shooting. Classes I'd had before that taught 2 then pause and check. That's just civilian courses anyone can pay for. The cop showed restraint. It's not like he just unloaded half a magazine when he may well have been justified too.

*I also think the man (cop) will be suffering that night a million times...just as the Cousin and the little girl, for as much as she remembers detail. A horrible accident into a terrible tragedy.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
YAY for not being able to give of a warning or a warning shot - nooooo, shot for kill. Yes, thank you.

Whatever the father was in your eyes, he was the godda*nfrickin' father of a little girl!

And the cop shot him, instead of giving of a warning shot! If that was supposed to be a warning shot which was misleaded by pure bad luck, well so be it.

If he shot to kill the attacker, it is just a sign for "DON'T WEAR GUNS, YOU MORONS!" - because another one of these things just took the father of a little girl!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Thought the cop had to stay at the hospial overnight for observation.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
What is so correct about being beat to death by three people? Any guarantee that they would stop before he was dead.

I have to wonder if identifying himself as a police officer made a difference. It seems to not have made then stop.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Ok lets say it was you riding the motorcycle, and you hit a pedestrian. This is vehicular assault a felony,

It is not vehicular assault if you weren't being reckless or under the influence. Unless I missed something this is not vehicular assault.

then lets say the family attacked you for injuring a child and you shot one to death because you feared for your life.

In this case you would most likely be cleared. Being attacked by multiple people after a motorcycle accident and starting to black out from the assault justifies deadly force.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join