It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia woman faces $600-a-day fine for feeding needy neighborhood kids

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

She could have went about this another way. In Philadelphia we have a program funded by the city called playstreet. Basically what happens is a block captian applies for it. After they are accepted they get permission to close off the block from traffic from like 10am-2pm. During this time the kids can go crazy and play in the street safely all day. The city also gives the block captian free food for the kids, breakfeast and lunch. This person could have just applied for this program.

Why does anyone in the United States of America, "NEED PERMISSION" to feed someone who might be hungry?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'm trying to find the E-Mail address for this church and give them a donation at the same time find a E-Mail address to there town hall and give them a piece of mind and tell them how a major city by me does things!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

I couldn't believe this. It might not be his responsibility to go to her, but, once the issue came up, couldn't he have advised her on why there is a problem and help her get a variance? Seems to me that would be a more reasonable and productive thing to do.

Exactly! The feds have all of the power, thus the trickle down effect of government ego, goes right down thru our state and local officials! It is up to us to let these locals and state representatives know, that we are not going to put up with it any more. After that I do believe our Feds, might start shaking in their corrupt boots!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

1.) Because they have "charity" organizations to handle that and they get a lot of income from that.
2.) Because they want you to apply for business rights - more income.
3.) Because they want to tax your new found business - more income.
4.) Because they want to tax your income from your new found business - more income.

There is not one move we "free" citizens can make anymore that doesn't put more money into the Governments pocket in one form or another.
But it is for your "safety" and "they" know best.

"Won't somebody think of the children!"

Wait... What?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
Whoops, sorry masters, I am so sorry I wanted to donate my time and help out children who might be starving!

A Pennsylvania woman who offers free lunch every day to low-income children in her neighborhood faces a $600-a-day fine next summer if she continues because she did not clear the food giveaway with township officials.

LINK

So sad, that we have allowed our country to sign onto Agenda 21 with the United Nations........Isn't the UN constantly asking for donations to help feed those who are starving? But yet with their own illegal international laws they are in fact denying help to feed the less fortunate?

Well take a looky folks, here is a link to the ICLEI that has every Country and the towns that have signed onto abiding by the laws of the UN's Agenda 21. Low and behold, Philadelphia is one of em!

ICLEI list of towns and cities by country

As the saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished". The world gets more and more satanic by the hour. When did it become illegal to be a good samaritan? Just because something is lawful doesn't make it right. No more morality, mercy, compassion no more justice. I don't want to live in this world anymore, i've seen enough and had enough.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Wait a moment here, its the TOWN officer whose being a prick, not agenda 21...
I Quote|"Its not my rsponsibility to go downthere and see if theres some way we can assiste her program...."

Whats THAT Ahole doing in the town goverment....i doubt hell be re elected, and he should be fired for dereliction of suty, because it IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I'm going to cut through the BS thats been posted and say this ....it sucks that she's trying to do something good but unfortunatley if she wants to keep doing what she's doing there ARE steps she needs to take.

Also,that is not in Philadelphia. It's in Chester,which is a BAD area.I grew about 15 minutes from there and we avoided going there at all costs.It may or may not be a better area now,but somehow I doubt it is.

ETA : "Chester Township, which has a per capita income of $19,000 a year, says Prattis lives in a residential zone, hence handing out food to children is not allowed. The township says she needs to go before a zoning board to ask for a variance, which would cost her up to $1,000 in administrative fees."

Okay,that wasn't in the article when I read it earlier,so I apologize op. But really,it says right there what she needs to do if she wants to keep feeding these kids. Personally,if I lived in that area I wouldn't let my kids take any food from anyone there.And I say that as someone who lived nearby.

edit on 15-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
She could have went about this another way. In Philadelphia we have a program funded by the city called playstreet. Basically what happens is a block captian applies for it. After they are accepted they get permission to close off the block from traffic from like 10am-2pm. During this time the kids can go crazy and play in the street safely all day. The city also gives the block captian free food for the kids, breakfeast and lunch. This person could have just applied for this program.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Too bad it didn't happen in Philadelphia,but in Chester like my previous post stated.

So regardless of what Philly's regulations/programs are,she's ineligible for them.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

ETA : "Chester Township, which has a per capita income of $19,000 a year, says Prattis lives in a residential zone, hence handing out food to children is not allowed. The township says she needs to go before a zoning board to ask for a variance, which would cost her up to $1,000 in administrative fees

How is it possibly reasonable to expect this woman to pay these fees? You know how much food she could buy with a $1,000 to help feed the kids......it's a sad day when people are punished for helping thier fellow man....shame on this town...

edit on 15-8-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

I'm going to cut through the BS thats been posted and say this ....it sucks that she's trying to do something good but unfortunatley if she wants to keep doing what she's doing there ARE steps she needs to take.

Questioning the idea of needing permission for feeding hungry children is BS?

Also,that is not in Philadelphia. It's in Chester,which is a BAD area.I grew about 15 minutes from there and we avoided going there at all costs.It may or may not be a better area now,but somehow I doubt it is.

How is any of that relevant at all?? Why does it mater if the area is 'bad'?

But really,it says right there what she needs to do if she wants to keep feeding these kids.

I think everyone in this thread is aware she is being told she 'needs' permission. That's the topic..
edit on 15-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It's relevant because it shows poor reporting. It's NOT in Philadelphia. It's way outside the city limits.

Regardless of where it is,theres RULES we follow here in the US.

No,the woman isn't doing a bad thing...but the fact that she refuses to follow the law speaks volumes to me

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

ETA : "Chester Township, which has a per capita income of $19,000 a year, says Prattis lives in a residential zone, hence handing out food to children is not allowed. The township says she needs to go before a zoning board to ask for a variance, which would cost her up to $1,000 in administrative fees

How is it possibly reasonable to expect this woman to pay these fees? You know how much food she could buy with a $1,000 to help feed the kids......it's a sad day when people are punished for helping thier fellow man....shame on this town...

edit on 15-8-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

Here's a tip...let the parents feed the kids.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
$1000 fee seems preferable to $600 daily fine. If a bus monitor who got bullied can get over $100k from donations, it seems she could at least get the grand she needs to continue her work. 1000 people got a buck they can spare?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by torque

Let me hold a dolla.Surely a 1000 of you ATS members can afford it?

(mods,this is meant as a joke)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
No,the woman isn't doing a bad thing...but the fact that she refuses to follow the law speaks volumes to me
it also speaks volumes if you put the law before feeding hungry children

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Regardless of where it is,theres RULES we follow here in the US.

Yes. I am aware.

And rules are not infallible. Rules sometimes change for the better.

Should there be rules preventing her the freedom to feed hungry children...Would be one line of thinking while questioning it. Or are you against questioning rules?

Authority is supposed to be serving us, we grant them their position because we are entrusting them with the responsibility.

Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people. - Thomas Jefferson

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Reality check.

Would you let your kids eat the food shes provided?

My gut tells me no...but maybe that's because I'm a father myself.

No way my little girl is taking any kind of food from anyone she doesn't know.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Meh,you're getting into another topic.
Perhaps you should learn about that area,then come back and tell me it's okay that this woman is feeding kids out of her house.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Since I still don't see the relevance, perhaps you can instead elaborate on why that matters more. I am more than open to understand that point

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Thankfully my daughter never missed a meal in her life, and no I probably wouldn't let her eat food given to her by a stranger.....but as you have pointed out this area seems to have alot of poverty, and the reasons for that are a whole other subject. It's not the kids fault that thier parents are poor, and this woman sees a need and out of the goodness of her heart has tried to fill it...

The "rules" in this case are just so blatantly unfair, and treating this woman like a criminal, and threatening her with fines, $600 a day, give me a break....then what, throw her in jail if she can't pay them? Enough is Enough with these oppressive laws !

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join