It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions Without Answers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Has anyone here ever read Patrick Rothfuss's "The Wise Man's Fear"? Absolutely incredible author, even endorsed by Orson Scott Card himself, the Gordon Ramsay of writing. It has taught me a few things that I will hold dear to my heart for as long as my mind exists. For instance, the victory or defeat does not matter in life. The only game worth playing is a beautiful game.

But there are other tidbits, one of which I think ATSers will find particularly insightful, regarding questions that appear to have no answer. Here's an excerpt from the book, which I think will explain not only why I myself ask these questions about higher powers, the universe, our place in it, and where we're going...but also show YOU people why it's a good thing to ask these questions...even if you don't get an absolute answer.

Here's the excerpt from "The Wise Man's Fear":

I shrugged and started to lay out my bed. “So he made up stories that seemed like puzzles and asked me if I understood what they meant.” I smiled a little wistfully. “I remember thinking about that boy with the screw in his belly button for days and days, trying to find the sense in it.”

Marten frowned. “That’s a cruel trick to play on a boy.”

The comment surprised me. “What do you mean?”

“Tricking you just to get a little peace and quiet. It’s a shabby thing to do.”

I was taken aback. “It wasn’t done in meanness. I enjoyed it. It gave me something to think about.”

“But it was pointless. Impossible.”

“Not pointless.” I protested. “It’s the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he’ll look for his own answers.”

I spread my blanket on the ground and folded over the threadbare tinker’s cloak to wrap myself in. “That way, when he finds the answers, they’ll be precious to him. The harder the question, the harder we hunt. The harder we hunt, the more we learn. An impossible question . . .”

That's why I ask myself these questions. Even if you don't find an absolute answer, you can find a way to cope with the unanswerable nature, and even find a way to make peace with it. Even better than that, it shows you HOW to find an answer, so that when there actually is an answer, you'll know how to start finding it. That's why some people, or some faiths, or some views, or whatever...they disappoint me...their unwillingness to critically examine anything regarding the mysteries of the world, and accept a catch-all answer that doesn't hold water, is a detriment as they begin to think less and less about the world and the universe. That's detrimental to the mind. It cripples the ability to find answers, especially hard ones, when you need them the most.

And that's what I'm looking for when I participate in these discussions. Either a way to believe the world will be okay in the next few thousand years; or, if not, a way to believe that I can change that.

I want to die knowing the world is happy and will stay that way for a good while. That's all I want.
edit on 14-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I want to die knowing the world is happy and will stay that way for a good while. That's all I want.

1. who's world...

2. Happiness is a subjective perception.....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

Planet Earth, and happiness is only subjective to those who have given up on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by ThatGuy45

... happiness is only subjective to those who have given up on it.

Inaccurate statement.
"Happiness" is a 'feeling' and can be / is 'universal' to a degree - however, the perception of "happiness" depends on the individual.

Your " happiness" and my "happiness" AT BEST could only be similar. More likely quite different. The thoughts / actions / ideas that make you happy may upset me and vise versa. The term "universal happiness" implies one mindset achieving a specific definition of said "happiness" requiring all to conform to said 'happy'.

"Happiness" is subjective to those who implore infinite possibilities.... if "happiness is NOT subjective to you, then I wonder what limits have been set upon you.... It's ok tho, you meant well

ThatGuy45

top topics

join