It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British soldiers 'under investigation' over alleged murder of Kenyan woman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

British soldiers

www.guardian.co.uk

Two British soldiers are under investigation over the alleged murder of a Kenyan woman, it has been reported.

The Ministry of Defence said the matter was being investigated by the authorities in the east African country but it would offer assistance if requested.

Agnes Wanjiru-Wanjiku disappeared from a hotel in Nanyuki on 31 March.

The 21-year-old's body was found on 5 June inside a septic tank on the hotel grounds, Sky News reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com
www.walesonline.co.uk
edit on 14-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Title

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Interesting. Nayuki appears to be a staging point for British troops on their way to Afghanistan. Indeed Sky News reports.

Thousands of British soldiers pass through the town of Nanyuki every year as part of their pre-deployment training for Afghanistan.

news.sky.com...

Human rights organisation Social Watch has written to the Kenyan department of public prosecutions complaining the case had not been properly investigated. The organisation said witnesses reported Ms Wanjiru-Wanjiku was last seen with a British soldier. The letter, obtained by Sky News, claimed that "a night guard witnessed a fierce fight in the room Wanjiru and the British soldier were occupying".

www.walesonline.co.uk...

I wasn't aware of this base or arrangement we have with the Kenyans.

Thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Added comment

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You know what, I'm just going to voice something I've kept to my self for a while..

Cut through the hero crap.
1/3 of soldiers are scum.

Remember collateral damage?
And that happens every single day without any one batting and eye lid.

My friend done his first tour of Afghan 2 years ago, he came back a different person, and I asked him if he'd done anything he shouldn't have over there, he gave me a knowing nod of the head, and his body language indicated there'd be no further discussion of it.

In fact, I know about 20 people who have gone in the army to be changed for the WORST.
3 1/2 years ago I spent 3 weeks at our Nuneaton base, as taster at being a soldier before I actually joined, and the stuff I heard from and the Sergeants was stomach turning.

Luckily enough, I was turned away on medical grounds when it came to it (dodgy back)...
I found my self uncovering government secrets instead, including, finding out my nan was murdered by 2 English soldiers, as the family's from Northern Ireland.

Just like Rockefella said, they're stoopid pawns.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

They aren't necessarily scum,but the institution they are joining is. Turning people into robots. The culture of bullying is also pretty extreme, just look at the amount of suicides.

It would be interesting to know what the general view of this base and soldiers are in Kenya. I imagine they bring a lot to the local economy but cause a lot of collateral social damage.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Sky News invests in some speculation, insisting on calling the victim a prostitute first in its headline which I find quite disgusting

It claims that "a night guard witnessed a fierce fight in the room Wanjiru and the British soldier were occupying". "We are pleading with you to monitor the CCTV photo print-outs to ascertain what happened. The family have been left with a baby girl aged six months."

Another letter passed to Sky News is from the office of the Kenyan Director of Public Prosecutions to the Criminal Investigations Department of the Kenyan Police Force. "I have been directed by the Director of Public Prosecutions to urgently call for ... a progress report on the case," the letter reads. A letter sent to the Kenyan Police Force "The complainant has intimated that there is laxity on the part of the police to conclusively investigate the case and bring the culprits to book despite willingness by witnesses to come forth and testify." the letter says.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

A few things...

Why is this news? Given the sheer volume of troops that move through Kenya every year (and we've been training in Kenya since before their independence), a couple of guys under investigation is a drop in the bucket. You get bad apples everywhere, in the Army or not. Let's not try them just yet though, innocent before guilty and all that...

What culture of bullying? I've never witnessed this myself. I don't doubt there are isolated examples, but to say there is a culture of it is misleading.

Sinny, I totally reject you saying even a 3rd are "scum". I find that quite offensive to be honest. My entire family have all served at one point or another and not a single one of them would fit the definition of "scum". By your own admission, your opinion is tainted.

I also question whether your nan was "murdered by two English soldiers". What are the specifics of the case, if you don't mind telling. It's quite an accusation to just throw down and are you saying English simply because they were British and the two are seen as interchangeable or were they actually English? How do you know they weren't Scots, Welsh or even Irish? Us English always get the blame, no matter who actually did it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Why is it news?

Well, I suppose because it involves a murder in a former colony by people trained to kill. It has both local and regional significance. Kenya may react and close the base for all we know.

On the bullying. From the report on Deepcut.

Finally a review by Nicholas Blake QC published in March 2006[1] following a two year investigation suggested the deaths were self-inflicted but criticised a number of aspects of training at Deepcut which could have contributed to the deaths. Blake was then a member of Matrix Chambers, a leading set of barristers' chambers. Points identified by the report were:

The training environment at Deepcut,
causing low morale through poor accommodation,
limited recreational facilities,
and the balance between privacy and dormitory life.
Unsupervised access to weapons. Supervision of trainees.
Discipline, bullying and informal sanctions.
Ventilation of grievances.
Poor instructors.

A report by the Army Board of Inquiry was due to be published in December 2007, but was delayed by the Ministry of Defence until published in May 2009. The inquiry supported Blake's findings and returned open verdicts.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

This is an extreme example of course, but bullying clearly played a part in the deaths of those trainees. It's probably better now as a result of policy implementation in the armed forces, but it is the kind of environment where anyone "different" or perceived to be weak could be in for a whole load of trouble.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

Sky News invests in some speculation, insisting on calling the victim a prostitute first in its headline which I find quite disgusting

It claims that "a night guard witnessed a fierce fight in the room Wanjiru and the British soldier were occupying". "We are pleading with you to monitor the CCTV photo print-outs to ascertain what happened. The family have been left with a baby girl aged six months."

Another letter passed to Sky News is from the office of the Kenyan Director of Public Prosecutions to the Criminal Investigations Department of the Kenyan Police Force. "I have been directed by the Director of Public Prosecutions to urgently call for ... a progress report on the case," the letter reads. A letter sent to the Kenyan Police Force "The complainant has intimated that there is laxity on the part of the police to conclusively investigate the case and bring the culprits to book despite willingness by witnesses to come forth and testify." the letter says.

news.sky.com...

Probably because prostitution is rife, especially in areas where there are people with cash to splash. Would YOU go to a hotel with two soldiers you didn't know and leave your baby at home for anything other than money?
ejambonews.com...
edit on 15-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Oh right, so by all accounts a great many of those poor sods keeping an eye out so people could b safe at the Olympics are scum too, how about me Grandads, Great Uncles, Uncles, cousins, Father in law, Mr Suspiria...scum.

Do me a #ing favour.....

If the soldiers ARE responsible it will get sorted. By the looks though the town is such a massive den of iniquity it could be anyone and the town is just shuffling for some compo.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

If the soldiers ARE responsible it will get sorted. By the looks though the town is such a massive den of iniquity it could be anyone and the town is just shuffling for some compo.

You have to question where does responsibility lie for this "den of iniquity"? If this base wasn't there what would Nanyuki be like?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You have to question where does responsibility lie for this "den of iniquity"? If this base wasn't there what would Nanyuki be like?

Christian Missionaries...........If the base wasn't there it would just be like the rest of Kenya and still full of sex tourists.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

If the base wasn't there it would just be like the rest of Kenya and still full of sex tourists.

What are you basing that upon?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

And not just there, on the coast, all over the place.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I like that these sex workers are standing up for themselves and have their own union, very progressive. The underlying view that it is ok to assault sex workers because of what they do is abhorrent, especially from those in power.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I like that these sex workers are standing up for themselves and have their own union, very progressive. The underlying view that it is ok to assault sex workers because of what they do is abhorrent, especially from those in power.

I completely agree with you, but that brings us full circle.

"Nanyiki Police is accused of taking a casual stance in the matter," the letter to the Kenyan Director of Public Prosecutions reads. "The (Nanyuki) police station is also accused of not (being) willing to pursue British Army personnel who act with impudence."

I'm not implying the soldiers in question are either guilty or innocent. I just don't think that if they are guilty, that the MOD will allow them to walk away with a smacked hand, however the laxity of the Nanyuki police themselves isn't really helpful is it.

top topics

join