It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding The Spiritual Purposes Of Tattoos in the ancient world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Understanding The Spiritual Purposes Of Tattoos in the ancient world

I don't believe in ancient times they were just decorative.

The Body of Princess Ukok, who died aged 25, had several tattoos on her body, including a deer with a griffon's beak and a Capricorn's antlers. The tattoos have been perfectly preserved for 2,500 years.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I noticed Princess Ukok also had tattoo of dots on her spine I believe.
Ötzi the Icema did as well

en.wikipedia.org...

So I was going to look further into the spiritual significance of the tats, In shamanism I do believe they were more then adornment.

edit on 113131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Decorative tattoos are fairly common in human mummies. The oldest known tattoo dates from 6000 BC from the south American Chinchorros culture, and shows a thin pencil moustache tattooed onto the upper lip of a male adult.

But this mummy also has some tattoos that don't appear to be decorative - circles of different sizes placed at irregular positions on her neck. They aren't particularly pretty, and would have been hidden by her hair.

Konrad Spindler, an archaeologist best known for his excavations of Otzi the Iceman, wondered if they might have been part of a medical or therapeutic ritual, perhaps to ease neck pain. He made drawings of the tattoos (see top pic) and brought them back to Europe, along with samples of skin punched from the tattoos.

I was wondering if tattoos and Petroglyphs and Pictographs serve the same purpose.

Petroglyphs - carvings into stone surfaces
Pictographs - rock and cave paintings

www.decodingtheheavens.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm glad you started this thread, on this interesting topic. I do believe that tattoos have had deep spiritual meaning through the ages, for all cultures that have a history of them.

At the ripe old age of 59, I got my first, and only tattoo, for spiritual meaning for me. A certain Celtic knot, at the base of my spine. No one can see it, not even me...but knowing the history of the folk lore behind it, has meaning for me.

In some cultures, I think tattoos were powerful signs for those who wore them. Some to ward off evil...others to call strong spirits to lend them strength.

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is a great topic.

Shaman, essentially, tried to emulate nature to harness its power. Tattoos and other artistic pieces are an example of this.

Just consider that if you didn't know what you know today, and you began seeing how important shapes are, how to other animals just the appearance of something that reminds them of a predator for example...how would you begin to consider these things? Would you not see the underlying process and rule of causation as being magical?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
To ancient peoples, like the Celts for instance, I could see them equating tattoos or branding to being able to 'draw down the moon' upon symbols. And how much more powerful could that drawing be if the symbol was on the practioners body?

Even to this very day symbols are VERY powerful things that affect all of us on a deep, subconscious level.

Great thread OP, nice change of pace from the political flood were seeing on ATS now.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks Destiny, I am going to add more info soon, feel free to add anything you find.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Shaman, essentially, tried to emulate nature to harness its power.

Yes, I absolutely agree with that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Thanks Dreine, I have spent a lot of time in the past researching Petroglyphs and Pictographs, but today it dawned on me that the body adornment was possibly used for the same purpose.

edit on 023131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I can't remember where I read it, but during one of the three main battles of 1066 (Fulford, Stamford, Senlac), Harold Godwinson had tattoos on his chest. Apparently, they were the only way Edith Swan-neck could identify his body after the battle.

Not ancient, but pretty old and certainly the first documentation of an English king being tattooed. The themes would be familiar to anyone who is tattooed now: the name of a loved one and the place that meant most to him (Edith and England, in this case).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Not ancient, but pretty old and certainly the first documentation of an English king being tattooed.

Interesting you mention Kings, because this web page says at one time they were a mark of status.

Note that in the olden times, tattoos are considered as marks of status and rank. People with higher status often have more tattoos on their skins compared to those of lower rank. Moreover, warriors who have done some brave deeds often sport more tattoos on their bodies as a sign of their bravery.

and those of noble birth

www.zimbio.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The tattooed right hand of a Chiribaya mummy is displayed at El Algarrobal Museum, near the port of Ilo in southern Peru. The Chiribaya were farmers who lived from A.D. 900 to 1350.

Read more: www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'll be darn I found one.

Early Aussie Tattoos Match Rock Art

although it is scarification

For the study, published in the latest issue of the journal Antiquity, Brady documented rock art drawings; images found on early turtle shell, stone and wood objects, such as bamboo tobacco pipes and drums; and images that were etched onto the human body through a process called scarification.

Although people were living in the Torres Strait as early as 9,000 years ago, when sea levels were lower and a land bridge connected Australia with New Guinea, archaeological exploration of the area only really began with Haddon's 19th century work. Since body art, rock art, wooden objects and other tangible items have a relatively short shelf life, Haddon's collections and data represent some of the earliest confirmed findings for the region.

Brady determined that within the body art, rock art and objects, four primary motifs often repeated: a fish headdress, a snake, a four-pointed star, and triangle variants. The fish headdress, usually made of a turtle shell decorated with feathers and rattles, was worn during ceremonies and has, in at least one instance, been linked to a "cult of the dead."

edit on 033131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
of course they did. i didn't know this was in doubt?

i know my tattoos all have spiritual significance to me. they aren't about fashion or impressing others, for me.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
My tattoos have a meaning to me. or i guess had a meaning to me. because i did my tattoos when i was in a religious phase.
I have
+ J M J + (for Jesus Mary Joseph)
* * * (for the 3 archangels)

Then there is a cross surrounded by two circles. in between the three circles are 12 stars. (Jesus surrounded by the 12 disciples)
Then
DAWG (no to the slang Dawg, but to Dwelling Always With God)
and then
+IGIT+ (In God I Trust)

followed by a tribal tattoo i added a few months later.

Now, i don't have that religious fervor and are more of a skeptic.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
of course they did. i didn't know this was in doubt?

i know my tattoos all have spiritual significance to me. they aren't about fashion or impressing others, for me.

I don't have a tattoo, but I think I am going to get one and I have decided what it is going to be.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

Sounds cool, you don't have to be religious to be spiritual,

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I have wanted one, but felt I was to old, if I do get one I am going to make sure I can see it and everyone else, what do I have to lose at my age?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I have wanted one, but felt I was to old, if I do get one I am going to make sure I can see it and everyone else, what do I have to lose at my age?

If that is your desire...why not. I'm very happy I did at 59 years old. It made it even more special to wait this long. Why you ask. Because I was absolutely sure, it was what I wanted to do. Spend the time to find a reputable tattoo artist. One who has experience in the genre of tattoo you want. I found a man who specialized in Celtic artwork, went through his portfolio, and then gave him a photo of the Celtic Knot I wanted on my lower back. One of the wonderful graphic artists here on ATS, took the photo I sent him of my tattoo and inserted it into my Avy, at the base of the spine. So, now I can see it anytime I want.

Good Luck!

Des

edit on 15-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

What little credibility for being sensible you have left?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumQuackers

What little credibility for being sensible you have left?

That was mean and rude...you have much to learn on manners...Grasshopper....

Des

top topics

<<   2 >>

join