It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Jesus is God" = Mary is "the mother of God"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

Many Christians interpret the bible to conclude that Jesus is God.
So now, how does seeing Jesus as God affect the way Christians perceive Mary, the woman who gave birth to Jesus?

1. Going by basic logic, if Jesus is God, then Mary being the one who gave birth to Jesus automatically becomes the "mother of God"...regardless of whether or not Christians acknowledge it.

2. One thing Christians do to avoid having to call Mary the "mother of God" is is by claiming that "Jesus is fully man and fully God" . But, that in no way resolves their dilemma. It only makes Mary the "mother of this fully man and fully God". One can twist scriptures all they want to derive what they want to hear... but in the case of Jesus and Mary, it is basic common sense... that whatever Jesus is, Mary would be the mother of that.

3. Another thing Christians do to wriggle out of the "Mary- Mother of God" dilemma is claim that Jesus pre-existed Mary... to justify how Mary need not be called the "mother of God". But it still remains that Jesus, who they see as God... was born of a woman. In other words...Jesus (God) was born and raised by one of his own creations.

My whole point is... Jesus cant be called "God", without Mary being called the "mother of god".
Those who say "Jesus is God" indirectly say "Mary is the mother of god".

edit on 14-8-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Dr. Richard Carrier, a PhD in Ancient History from Columbia, says that Jesus was never a physical human being.

He was never born to Mary.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NotReallyASecret

So basically, I need to prove to you that Jesus was real before I can continue this discussion?

No thanks.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
By the way, you never heard the phrase "mother of God" before?

Jesus Christ dude.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
My whole point is... Jesus cant be called "God", without Mary being called the "mother of god".
Those who say "Jesus is God" indirectly say "Mary is the mother of god".

Christians directly say that Mary is the mother of God.

How do you not know this?
edit on 14-8-2012 by NotReallyASecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Christians directly admit that Mary is the mother of God.

Wait and watch this thread.
You'll be surprised.

Are you new to this earth?

Yes.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
in my book,mother of God is Catholic idolatry.whether Catholics are even Christian is debatable.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

in my book,mother of God is Catholic idolatry.whether Catholics are even Christian is debatable.

Ok.

What do YOU believe about Jesus?
Do you think he is God?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

No...Most Christians I know don't say "Mary is the mother of God"
Mary is the mother of Jesus who is the "Son of God" who in spirit and mindset and somehow connected before time was with God.

She was born so she cannot be the "mother of God" who had no beginning and no end.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dakota1s2

Mary is the mother of Jesus who is the "Son of God" who in spirit and mindset and somehow connected before time was with God.

She was born so she cannot be the "mother of God" who had no beginning and no end.

Thank you for replying.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2

Ok Jesus is not God. Thanks. So I am safe being Buddhist.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Mary doesn't play anywhere near the role in Protestant churches that she does for the Catholics, and Mariology was one of the things that I struggled with when I decided to convert. I understand it better, now, but still would hesitate to say that I think it matters all that much.

Yes, Catholics use the term "Mother of God", directly in the intercessory prayer "Hail Mary"

Hail Mary, full of grace, blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and in the hour of our death. Amen

This title doesn't mean that she pre-existed Jesus, it's just a reference to the fact that she carried him in her womb and provided the DNA for his incarnation.

Some of the other, non-Biblical, claims about Mary that I have a little better understanding of now are the Immaculate Conception, the belief that Mary was born without Original Sin -- theorized by the Catholic church because God could not exist in a sinful place, and the Assumption of Mary (which, ironically, is celebrated tomorrow.) The Assumption is taught because, unlike pretty much everyone else at the time, no relics exist of Mary - no tomb, no mention of her dying - and it seems a bit weird that she would just kind of disappear, unless she did.

Like I said, I'm not sure what to think of all that, but I respect Mary for what she did for us, and I'll let the rest of it slide for now.
edit on 14-8-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Jesus never made any theology over His "mother," and we should not, either. He called her "woman," and that is that.

link   

I do not agree with your premise that Christians avoid referring to Mary as the mother of God.

For example, the "Hail Mary" prayer:

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

link   
Yes Mary is the mother of God, its purely a "title"

Heres what Jesus take was on the matter, btw this also proves Mary was no virgin AFTER jesus was born.

Mathew 12:47-50

Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.” But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.”

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

What do you consider safe? If Jesus is at the right hand of the "Father" then you are safe? From what???

Remember Jesus said that "I and the Father are ONE! I guess if you want to be Buddhist and that it is okay as long as the Son is not God??? Don't follow your logic...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Sorry. double post!!!
edit on 14-8-2012 by dakota1s2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

reply to post by Lazarus Short

reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

reply to post by benrl

So, do you all believe Jesus is God?
Yes or no?

So if Jesus is God...and Mary gave birth to Jesus.....then what does it make Mary???

Simple question, really.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Jesus never made any theology over His "mother," and we should not, either. He called her "woman," and that is that.

Jesus also never made any theology over himself being God.

So people shouldn't either....especially by stitching together unrelated verses to make make a theology.

edit on 14-8-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Simple Answer

Human!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join