It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. officials say

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra
Maybe it's possible the US Navy did know they were there and simply wanted to test our tracking capabilities?

If you want to believe that, go right ahead. Ever thought that maybe the USA is not the only country who can produce anti tracking technology?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

Well according to Wiki the US coasts should be safe and no Russian or other kind of foreign submarine should mean anything to us or the media, right?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
hey crazyguy2012 and foxybrain

What the hell are yous on about? Stupid one line posts which pretty much have nothing to do with the topic. No-one is stalking anyone I don't think and maybe yous should pm each other too sort out your issue...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Foxybrain

That is complicated. I am not sure that sub to sub warfare is common. I was never in the Navy though. My only experience is through my dad. I vaguely remember going to some places in Connecticut were they (subs) were being built.. and roming around on them... I think it was in Connecticut. It could have been NY or NJ... But I think it was Conn... OMG that was over twenty years ago... Wow I feel old now... Where does the time go.
edit on 15-8-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Tech improves on all sides. We build better they build better... I am sure both us and them have stuff that each does not know about. And we both want to test our new toys... I just looked up a whole bunch of stuff I didn't know... I am sure there is a lot of stuff that cannot be googled.

Based upon my personal experiences I do not feel like there is any real hostility between these levels. Sure our "Government" and their "Government" are at odds at the moment. But that does not necessarily translate to all our forces being at odds. I have reliable knowledge that to some extent our Navy messes with theirs and theirs with ours... It is mostly fun and games... I bet if one of their subs was in our waters and in distress our sailors would even risk their own lives to rescue them....

If you received a new ferrari wouldn't you want to take it on the road and see what it could do? The fact is that we are not at war with Russia.. So why would we make a big deal about a sub of theirs in our waters? If they did know about it when it was happening would confronting them and destroying the sub have done any good? NOPE... It would have increased hostilities quite a bit and probably would have ensured WWIII... Were we attacked? No... Do we have a threat to our national security? No... If we were at war with them we would have been on a higher alert level and they probably would not have been able to meander about the Gulf Coast...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Well I least I have somebody to discuss about our topic with, aw you Poor thing! If you read English you will see that we are talking about the main TOPIC! Submarines!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone said this, don't particularly feel like trudging through the entire thread to see, BUT...

this reminds me of the Chinese sub that sat off the coast of Cali for a while before it decided to surface in the middle of a US fleet...

I may be wrong on some of the details I can't seem to find the original article...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

It is all just everyone trying to show off... These kinds of situations actually prevent wars... They do not cause them. It does not mean we need to spend billions of dollars to improve our defense. Also we do have lots of tech in place to locate subs... This country will probably spend much more money on preventing Colombian drug dealers from smuggling coke into the states in subs than protecting us from high tech Russian subs... The reason is because the coke subs are seen as an actual threat... The reason this could happen is because the Russian sub (or the Chinese sub) is not considered a threat....

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I haven't read through the thread, so this point could have been raised already,

BUT

didn't Russia just stage some kind of war games in the US about 6-8 weeks ago ?

So this is really a nothing story, when you put it in that context.

Also consider Chinese war-ships are now in Israel on a friendly mission.

Is everything going SUPER WEIRD or what ?

I'm starting to feel like I'm living '1984' every day. The truth does not exist anymore.

* Ned

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

American exceptionalism = fall of Rome.

Reset civilization.....end times are then necessary for things to begin anew.

We are not just screwed or not, but choosing how to survive or not that which we now know to be unavoidable....

The US mainland is not the place to hibernate this winter....it is the primary target. Like being in Rome with Barbarians are at the city gates.

edit on 15-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

- they knew it was there but want Russians to believe they didn't know

Most likely this.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
New reports are saying it was not a Russian sub but that Castro bought a Russian sub and is now cruising the gulf! Just kidding

In all seriousness I live in the region and have seen our subs, they are huge. I expect we have entered Russian waters as well but for them to enter the gulf? That is pretty crazy. I have a friend that served on a sub for over 20 years I will have to ask him what he thinks.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Cry for more budget or truely a flaw in the anti-submarine warfare systems?

A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.

LINK
Your expert opinions/thoughts/comments/viewpoints please.

The whole thing smells for several reasons...

One, why add the issue of "long-range," to the story describing how "close," it was in the Gulf of Mexico? IF it was that close, would it matter if the missiles were long-range? Would not a story like this be more compelling if a sub with "short-range," missiles was able to get this close?

If it was only confirmed after it left the region, than how do they know it was here for several weeks? I know they have underwater listening devices planted in the ocean floor, and the Russians know these things are out there...therefore, if we were hearing something in the Gulf that we were not supposed to be hearing, then the news would have been posted...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I don't know.....all this looks so wierd. I got some info from the Homeland Security NTARC News.

A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.

www.nationalterroralert.com...

If you click "Read more", instead of giving more info it sends you to the source provided by the op.

Also, the exact location of the submarine in the golf haven't been provided, so we don't know if it was in international waters or not.

One last thing, now it would be great if we could count with all the freaking money they spent in Mars.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

(US, best trained submariners on the planet)
reply to post by Dreine

If that laughable statement were true they might perform slightly better on the perisher course.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Cry for more budget or truely a flaw in the anti-submarine warfare systems?

LINK
Your expert opinions/thoughts/comments/viewpoints please.

I am a Navy veteran, and was assigned as a lookout almost every night I was deployed. The truth is that the US, Russia, Netherlands, and the Brits all have subs that are virtually undetectable. The kicker is though, once they are detected once, that whole class of subs can be detected on that frequency forever, until the whole design changes for that kind of sub... We did a lot of ops in the gulf and in the caribbean around Rosey Roads ( Guantanamo Bay, Cuba). Russian subs are always sneaking around there... Both sides are always on each others coast as a practice. All the time.. Almost every day. I was called "hawkeye" by the CO for a week because I spotted a Russian sub at 15 miles with no binos while on aft watch while we were near the US Virgin Islands.... It happens everyday.. but we nullify each other, so it doesn't really matter. We could destroy Russia or China on a First strike, but Russia could destroy us too.. Not China yet though... so we may talk a good game and rattle sabres at each other, but Russia and the US are joined at the hip for better or worse... We have no choice but to work together on some things.. Our warfare is going to be financial from this time forward, because we've reached a critical mass where neither of us have a real legimate chance to stop the other...

edit on 15-8-2012 by sensible1 because: spl

edit on 15-8-2012 by sensible1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

MAkes sense about china being in Israel for a humanitarian mission. They have spent the last few years all over africa building wells, airport runways, dams, highways. Anything they can as apart of peace keeping, humanitarian effort. I think they actually asked the chinese general to play an even larger role in that regard with africa because they are doing an impressive job in africa.

China isn't doing this to stick their nose into our business. THey are doing it as PR. Chinas bigger on good PR these days than in wargaming.

link   

Originally posted by Morg234

(US, best trained submariners on the planet)
reply to post by Dreine

If that laughable statement were true they might perform slightly better on the perisher course.

I wasn't aware that there had been a problem with the competitive performance of USN exchange officers participating in the RN's Perisher course?

That U.S. submariners are able to compete at the highest level in while on temporary assignment to a foreign command course speaks volumes towards the quality of training provided by the USN.

The Royal Navy Submarine Service are unquestionably a formidable organisation however post Cold War, the USN enjoys near total hegemony under the waves.

link   
I can guarantee you we know of everything in the skies and underwater anywhere near the US mainland. Everything.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I'd like to think so too. But the bottom line is if someone really wants to get a peek at something they will find a way. I am sure other nations infiltrate the US defenses all the time undetected. We do the same to them too. I am willing o bet that if someone had the cojones they could walk undetected all by themselves right through area 51 in the middle of the night and not get caught. Sure there are sensors, but they can't be everywhere. and sure there are trained mercs guarding the place but they are still people. So the equipment and the security is only as good as the person manning the station that night.

Take the previous poster "Hawkeye" I bet that another man on watch that day might have missed the sub all together. Being on watch is tedious and boring. Eventually people slip up. "Hawkeye's" discipline kept him in the game long enough to notice the tinsy sail of a soviet sub 15 miles away. A less diligent guy on watch would have never noticed and that sub would have remained undetected.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join