It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. officials say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Anyone know where Orangetom is? Now thats a guy I would like to have chime in on this thread.

ORANGETOM!!! Where are you. Please visit us on this thread.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Our two navies have been playing cat and mouse games since the Cold War. No surprise there. Old enemies die hard.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
Our two navies have been playing cat and mouse games since the Cold War. No surprise there. Old enemies die hard.

Our dear leaders, grown men, articulate, seemingly intelligent,
when will the insanity stop?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Also, wasn't Russia just making nice with Venezuela? Isn't that the same country whose President called our Prez a clown?
edit on 14-8-2012 by AuntB because: another thought

But I thought he was a clown?
I just couldn't resist

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
There is an American sub hiding right now off someone else country.

So does that mean that the USA is ready for WW3 as well? The answer is all big nations are ready/

Sorry to put it this way, but your post is sensationalism at best.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
het can anyone tell me about the missile launch off the california coast that the previous poster was mentioning? Never heard bout it. Was it from a SSBN?

Not a missile. Just a slow news day and a persistent sunlit contrail. Ask yourself why the news station only released edited footage?

contrailscience.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cat and mouse game has been going on for years. Old habits die hard and it is deemed good training to revisit old haunts. The Russians already announced that they would resume long-range submarine patrols after years of inactivity. They are regarded as necessary training.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Meanwhile in reality the Russian and NATO/US are busy conducting and planning joint training exercises.

english.ruvr.ru...

Russia’s TU-95MS and the United States’ B-52 strategic bombers will exchange visits next July under a bilateral agreement, Commander of the Russian Long Distance Lieutenant General Anatoly Zhikharev has told reporters.

Russian Navy join multi-national exercise in Pacific.

english.ruvr.ru...

indrus.in...

Russian Navy training with NATO countries in Black Sea

rusnavy.com...

Russian Black Sea Fleet to train with Italians. (NATO)

rusnavy.com...

Russian Navy prepares for upcoming exercise with US and Norway. Northern Eagle 2012 joint naval exercise.

rusnavy.com...

FRUKUS-2012 joint naval exercise in the Baltic. Russian Navy exercise with US, UK and French vessels.

rusnavy.com...

edit on 14-8-2012 by tommyjo because: additional info added

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It could be something to do with Russia sending nukes to Cuba.

abundanttruth.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
There is an American sub hiding right now off someone else country.
So does that mean that the USA is ready for WW3 as well? The answer is all big nations are ready/
Sorry to put it this way, but your post is sensationalism at best.

Where do you see sensationalism in my post? (unless you meant someone else on this thread?).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
reply to post by hp1229

The whole story is based on what "unnamed sources" told the Free Beacon. Just sayin.
Agree. We're just here to decipher the news for the truth that it might hold (if any).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Xcathdra

I think thats just one of the angle though true that technology is only good as the users of it make it to be
Ofcourse be it a Geo Metro or a Mercedes Benz

A B-2 Stealth bomber today costs just over a billion dollars per aircraft.
State of the art, top of the line etc etc etc....
Can be brought down by a .22 caliber bullet with one lucky shot...
The definition of "close enough for government work " -
Measured with a micrometer, marked with a crayon and cut with an axe...
So do you think it was possibly equipment malfunction/failure/glitch/hiccup/gremlins in the naval systems and/or human error?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

This I've heard as well. That only indicates faulty sensors which obviously needs to function flawlessly to feed the right information. Would love to know more about the type of naval systems used in the gulf region to monitor the undersea traffic.
edit on 14-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra
Maybe it's possible the US Navy did know they were there and simply wanted to test our tracking capabilities? I would find it odd if all the military planners hadn't envisioned scenarios like this and planned accordingly. I also suppose it's possible that oil spill a few years ago and the resulting cleanup and chemicals damaged any sonar devices in the Gulf of Mexico.

Naw, fake news. The US knew the Russians were there all along. How else would they know "afterwords" that they were there, after they were gone? Did they leave an oil slick or something?

Most likely, they watched, and did nothing. And not wanting the Russians to know that they could see and monitor their sub all the time, they planted this story in the news media to fool the Russians into thinking Russia had so advanced a technology that the US couldn't track them. Well, if it were true, what happened to all that UFO reverse engineered tech the US is supposed to have? Don't believe what you hear in the news for one minute.

Everything put out by the military, to be published in the news, is put there for a clandestine reason.

It has no connection to truth.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra
Maybe it's possible the US Navy did know they were there and simply wanted to test our tracking capabilities? I would find it odd if all the military planners hadn't envisioned scenarios like this and planned accordingly. I also suppose it's possible that oil spill a few years ago and the resulting cleanup and chemicals damaged any sonar devices in the Gulf of Mexico.

Naw, fake news. The US knew the Russians were there all along. How else would they know "afterwords" that they were there, after they were gone? Did they leave an oil slick or something?

Most likely, they watched, and did nothing. And not wanting the Russians to know that they could see and monitor their sub all the time, they planted this story in the news media to fool the Russians into thinking Russia had so advanced a technology that the US couldn't track them. Well, if it were true, what happened to all that UFO reverse engineered tech the US is supposed to have? Don't believe what you hear in the news for one minute.

Everything put out by the military, to be published in the news, is put there for a clandestine reason.

It has no connection to truth.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is a 1979 conservative political ad made during the budget cuts of the Carter administration making the case for justifying the billions of dollars the M-X missile program was expected to cost.

A lot of the footage should look familiar to some of you, the producers got somewhat unprecedented access and various video clips have made their way into Hollywood.

Russian submarines off the coast have been a staple of those who seek funding for the military industrial complex for 50 years.

Until something more tangible can be sourced I would lean towards being suspect of the entire claim.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Cry for more budget or truely a flaw in the anti-submarine warfare systems?

A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.

LINK
Your expert opinions/thoughts/comments/viewpoints please.

In various military tactical theories, one that is often considered is to let your enemy believe he has one up on you. This leaves them vulnerable when it comes down to a war. If your enemy is confident that they can get away with something, then they will become arrogant and proud of themselves for doing so, and that is the fatal mistake.

At no time was the submarine not detected or not under surveillance. We needed to know it's capabilities, it's sound wave patterns, it's water displacement, and all the rest that goes with it. It would be stupid for the Russians to believe they fooled the United States in such a way as this.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Makes This Thread seem a lot more plausible though doesn't it!! People think the mainland US is invincible, but our government is so inept and caught up with politicking and in-fighting that an invasion seems like it could happen pretty easily. There are a hundred different plausible scenarios in that thread, and none of them include a Nuclear Sub in the Gulf of Mexico!! That was thought to be impossible.

Rome thought it was invincible.

Although I don't think the Romans had the TSA sexually assaulting people at their airports, so you might be ok

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It definitely sounds like they are testing their limits as to setting up their naval base back up in Cuba. Wonder if the US intentionally turned off intercepting methods prior to them making the run into the gulf. I also wonder if Russia will be the "false flag" everyone is waiting for..

Then again I'm a newbie here and maybe I'm way off topic lol

Think about it, we are all wondering about the gun control and whether or not it will be foreign troops to do the confiscating and such. Possibly if they send a nuke our way, it would be reason for Obama to declare martial law on the US and since half our troops are over seas anyway, we would throw up a white flag and the NWO would commence.

I really don't know what I'm ranting about.. Lol but good fun in theory
edit on 14-8-2012 by Unconditionaltruth because: Missed points

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Sounds like an excuse to increase the defense budget, to be honest. Why would a country make its flaws and failures known if it didn't have an agenda?

This is simply a carrot on a stick.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
one sub does not make an invasion force. This thing is very high tech and very quiet. If it did intend to attack us it could have fired a few nukes and devastated a few cities... But not all of them. And we would have countered. It would have been a devastating blow to the U.S. much worse than 911 or Pearl Harbor. But it would not have crippled us. We have quite a few high tech subs, stealth aircraft of our own. We have been quietly flying over and around Russian Airspace and sailing into Russian Waters for years... We just don't brag about it. I bet there are two U.S. subs in the Sea of Okhotsk meandering about at this moment...

I wonder how many times our stealth bombers have flown over Russia undetected?
edit on 14-8-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: spelling typing

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
so is this a first? or the first it's been confirmed?? what systems do we have in place to make sure this doesn't happen? i've seen a few mentioned, but are they 100% systems, obviously not since we're talking about it right now.

what systems do the Russians have in place? I'm sure we have done the same to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join