Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. officials say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by hp1229

I just saw this article and almost started a thread myself.
WTH?
It sounds like they could have attacked us and been half way back to Russia before we even knew what happened.
Somebody has fell asleep at the wheel and we're going to crash soon.
Well..I wouldn't wanna speculate as per what might have happened if the Russians would have attacked us. I'm sure things would have gotten real ugly real soon. Nevertheless, I am more interested in the real reasons as per why it remained undetected ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There's also dead fishes in Texas, coincidence? www.chron.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TMJ1972
NATO submarines do the same off the russian coast too, so what is all the hype about ?

That we are supposedly the World's military Superpower and yet we're not even aware of ONE sub off our coast.
That's all it would take really, one undetectable nuclear submarine, to cause a ton of chaos and panic.

Imagine if this were an entire fleet...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
this announcement could mean so many things,
- they are trying to justify amping up military spending?
I think its more so to do with the proposed budget cuts to the DOD. Every other scenario that you described are definitely possible too but IMO, I dont think all that money invested in the defense of the country went entirely to waste with respect to the quality and reliability of the military systems that it produced. Ofcourse there is a human factor in majority of such incidents.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
Originally posted by Meekbot2000It wouldn't be out of character for our government to be planting the seed of a renewed Russian enemy....
I totally forgot about that
Now that the russians have regained their foot holding, time to lead them into the same old game once again? Not sure if the Russians will fall for it this time.
edit on 14-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
I don't really understand why people find this so surprising, the minute any country (not just America) builds something of a defensive nature other countries will try to find a way to circumnavigate it. The human mind is very creative.

Perhaps it is a American psyche problem, they have been force fed a propaganda diet of American exceptionalism for so long they actually believe it is true. It always seems to me on this website and others a large percentage of the US population believe that the are the greatest nation on earth and everyone else are second class bumbling oafs and only the mighty America has decent tech

Maybe a few more realisations like this would actually do America good when they realise they are not untouchable and just as vulnerable as most other large developed civilisations, make them less eager to lash out at other countries. I doubt it though
You gathered all of that about the US Navy and Military in General from ATS and other forums? At the same time, it is not a question of surprise. It is a question of identifying the truth behind the news which is published openly on the net which generally the american public would have never known most of the time as the military never discloses such incidents. Thus the curiosity for the truth and nothing more from average american like me. Your comments seem more aimed at the american public in general being forced fed (which they are not) which leads me to think that you're not from the US? It has a hint of inferiority complex upto certain extent. Do you think your country is not force feeding you even a slight bit of exceptionalism even as an appetizer?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TMJ1972fact is, NATO submarines do the same off the russian coast too, so what is all the hype about ?
Thanks for the informative clarification. The fuss is all about the looming budget cuts in the DOD.

Training would be cut for all of the services. Officials would try to minimize impact on deploying units by cutting more deeply into training for those not scheduled to deploy. “Some late-deploying units, including some deploying to Afghanistan, could receive less training, especially in the Army and Marine Corps. Under some circumstances, this reduced training could impact their ability to respond to a new contingency, should one occur,” Carter said.

BUDGET_CUTS
ELECTION_YEAR_TIME_BOMB?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I think thats just one of the angle though true that technology is only good as the users of it make it to be
Ofcourse be it a Geo Metro or a Mercedes Benz

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
reply to post by Dreine

That wiki reference is a bit misleading.
edit on 8/14/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)
But you can correct it on Wiki
You know that right? Anyone can edit the entry on Wiki.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I doubt that the Akula was operating undetected, the balance of nuclear weapons power is in the submarine force so the USN holds its cards very close when it comes to what it knows or what it does not.

My bet is there was a 774 or 688 class U.S. sub in its proximity from the time it sortied, its no secret that Russia is re-exerting its strategic muscle although the U.S. currently maintains a tremendous numerical advantage in nuclear powered attack submarines.

If the article is accurate and the USN was truly unaware of the Akula then some heads are guaranteed to roll and the next Akula will have a much tougher time

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

So we're supposed to believe that a Russian attack sub made it past Atlanic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) ??? I dont see how thats possible, especially knowing that they're located in the Bahamas, you would think that a Russian attack sub would be picked up by their defense systems...

Either
A. It did happen and this shows how weak and vulnerable we are to sub attacks

or

B. It didnt actually happen and this is a false story

So if they got to the Gulf they likely didnt go through the Bahamas, but they went through around Antigua/British Virgin Islands along Central America and up into the Gulf....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The whole story is based on what "unnamed sources" told the Free Beacon. Just sayin.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

I think thats just one of the angle though true that technology is only good as the users of it make it to be

A B-2 Stealth bomber today costs just over a billion dollars per aircraft.

State of the art, top of the line etc etc etc....

Can be brought down by a .22 caliber bullet with one lucky shot...

The definition of "close enough for government work " -
Measured with a micrometer, marked with a crayon and cut with an axe...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by hp1229

A B-2 Stealth bomber today costs just over a billion dollars per aircraft.

State of the art, top of the line etc etc etc....

Can be brought down by a .22 caliber bullet with one lucky shot...

Or a couple of drops of water in a pitot tube...

The findings of the investigation stated that the B-2 crashed after "heavy, lashing rains" caused water to enter skin-flush air-data sensors, which feed angle of attack and yaw data to the computerized flight-control system. The water distorted preflight readings in three of the plane's 24 sensors, causing the flight-control system to send an erroneous correction to the B-2 on takeoff. The B-2 quickly stalled, became unrecoverable, and crashed

Anderson AFB B-2 Accident

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A few things here.

The Akula submarine has a five bladed shrouded propeller, no caterpillar drive.
AUTEC is a training and testing facility. (worked there for two years)
SOSUS capability was downgraded as part of Clinton's Peace Dividend. No upgrades and some critical maintaince was not performed due to a lack of funding.
The Navy's ASW capability has been severely reduced due to budget cuts. The P-3 Orion patrol aircraft are getting old and unsafe to fly, with no replacement until the P-8 comes online. The S-3 Viking was eliminated, reducing the CBG's ASW capability.
edit on 14-8-2012 by JIMC5499 because: typo

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
A few things here.

The Akula submarine has a five bladed shrouded propeller, no caterpillar drive.
AUTEC is a training and testing facility. (worked there for two years)
SOSUS capability was downgraded as part of Clinton's Peace Dividend. No upgrades and some critical maintaince was not performed due to a lack of funding.
The Navy's ASW capability has been severely reduced due to budget cuts. The P-3 Orion patrol aircraft are getting old and unsafe to fly, with no replacement until the P-8 comes online. The S-3 Viking was eliminated, reducing the CBG's ASW capability.
edit on 14-8-2012 by JIMC5499 because: typo

With Autec being a training and testing facility, isnt is safe to think that they test sonar/radar systems there? I also thought that AUTEC was the Area 51 of the sea??

Its pretty awesome that you worked there for 2 years, if i may ask, what did you do there? High security clearance?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Helicopter maintenance and operations.

What they do is like the Air Forces Red Flag. The ranges can put out signals that act like enemy submarines and then monitor how the threat is dealt with. They can do this for submarines, surface ships and aircraft. They also have ranges for training with live ASW weapons.
edit on 14-8-2012 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
reply to post by jhn7537

Helicopter maintenance and operations.

Makes sense looking at your profile picture

Is AUTEC pretty closed down or were you able to maneuver around any area on site? I wonder if its like Area 51 in the sense where the Area 51 employees stated they were restricted to just the area they were suppose to work in...

With AUTEC my curiousity runs wild for obvious reasons...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yeah the MHD and Akula didn't sound right to me. Unless you are thinking about the teardrop shaped thing on the tail of the victors, sierras and akulas. But I think that thing is concealing some sort of towed array.

Pretty cool you got to work at AUTEC. well maybe cool. It is an island after all, gunna get board and run out of things to do eventually.

Last poster. Cool avatar. DId you know that someone from the asian community tried to sue john carpenter over big trouble in little china due to that exact scene where Lopan emits light from his eyes and mouth in the alley. Got thrown out, cause it was hard to prove how the movie was racist.

Anyways back to the sub talk. I doubt a sub could have made it through AUTECS proving grounds but simply cruising around AUTEC and going on ones merry way is probably very possible.

JIM. Whats your take on my theory that we are probably trailing soviet subs these days if at all using submersible drones. Unless you can't talk about it. Thats fair too.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I just have one question. If they know the sub was operating there for a month, Than that must mean that they knew they was there. Sounds like from what i read, They need more funding because of recent cuts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join