It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Savings Are Found From Welfare Drug Tests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

MIAMI — Ushered in amid promises that it would save taxpayers money and deter drug users, a Florida law requiring drug tests for people who seek welfare benefits resulted in no direct savings, snared few drug users and had no effect on the number of applications, according to recently released state data.

From July through October in Florida — the four months when testing took place before Judge Scriven’s order — 2.6 percent of the state’s cash assistance applicants failed the drug test, or 108 of 4,086, according to the figures from the state obtained by the group. The most common reason was marijuana use. An additional 40 people canceled the tests without taking them

Because the Florida law requires that applicants who pass the test be reimbursed for the cost, an average of $30, the cost to the state was $118,140. This is more than would have been paid out in benefits to the people who failed the test, Mr. Newton said.

As a result, the testing cost the government an extra $45,780, he said.

www.nytimes.com...

So, 98% of welfare recipients passed the test.

There were no direct savings

No affect on the number of applications that were put through

And ended up costing the state an extra $164,000

So here we have it, the right wing created a law for bigger government and intrusion into peoples personal lives, and it ended up completely failing while being a complete waste of money. All this bureaucracy just to demonize the poor..
edit on 14-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
At least now we know without guessing anymore.

I wonder if this is being done in other States?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'll bet that gov Scotty and his missus are happy though eh? They do have a medical supplies company, don't they?

Good move Scotty.

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Passing a drug test is actually quite difficult.......I know there is all these myths about all the different ways you can cheat the system but it isn't really true.

Regardless, it didn't work, and was a huge waste of money and did not affect the welfare applicant rate.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

so i dont want to call u out on your own thread, but i have passed many drug tests using my wits and knowledge, so your statement about the myths of passing a drug test is false, i agree that the gov is wasting money on drug tests, but its not because people on welfare are drug free, but because passing a drug test is easy and i know this because i have done it. please dont try an convince me that i have passed many on the basis of myth.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

It is a myth, you can say whatever you want.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

btw most work drug tests are cheap, and most goverment ones are cheap, which makes it easy to pass, its the expensive one that u need to worry about, but even the expensive ones are passable if u have half a brain, expensive drug tests are rare, but also harder to pass.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

It doesn't matter if they are "cheap". All they do is test the urine for drug metabolites, if you're positive, you're going down. They also test the temperature, so using someone elses piss held under your arm isn't going to work nor is diluting it. Any sort of detox method is fake.

You probably have a fast metabolism....most people on welfare would not as they tend to have a high obesity rate.

If it were so easy no one would be violating probation or losing their job.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

PROVE TO ME SOMEONE CANT PASS A TEST WITH DRUG METABOLITES IN THERE SYSTEM. if you cant then your statements about drug testing is false. i suggest you accept the truth so u dont embarrass yourself anymore

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Just use clean urine, heated with a heat pad or tucked between your legs to bring it to body heat. Very easy.

I guess it's possible. Multiple people I knew tried to do that and failed. Maybe they weer just incompetent, I don't know.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

loooooooool, calm down bro. Prove to me you can pass them with metabolites in your system (without using someone elses urine) and I'll shut up.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

it seems you think people are stupid just as the government does, do you work for the government. at this point im thinking u work for them as a dis info agent. if you don't work for them then u are simply lost.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

LOL, that green is making you paranoid. If I were going to work for the government, why would I make this anti-gov thread?

All I'm saying is everyone that I've ever known who has been on probation, did drugs, always ended up getting violated.

A huge portion of people (that I don't know) on probation end up getting violated for drug use

If it were so easy why is everyone failing?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

LOL, if I were going to work for the government, why would I make this anti-gov thread?

All I'm saying is everyone that I've ever known who has been on probation, did drugs, always ended up getting violated.

A huge portion of people (that I don't know) on probation end up getting violated for drug use

If it were so easy why is everyone failing?

hmmm.. acourding to your thread only 2 percent fail, when did the laws of math turn 2 percent into a hundred percent?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

btw most work drug tests are cheap, and most goverment ones are cheap, which makes it easy to pass, its the expensive one that u need to worry about, but even the expensive ones are passable if u have half a brain, expensive drug tests are rare, but also harder to pass.

Yeah & I guess people who inject loads of heroin and eat a ton of other opiates DAILY like my brother, FOR EXAMPLE passes the test, every single damn time because it's a myth. I cannot believe a fool would, indeed.. be so ignorant on something many do on a regular basis. Yet even more of a fool to deny another person's confirmed personal experience. Things like this happen constantly. Wait a minute, I'm not surprised. Nevermind.
Remember Doc, Real recognizes Real.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
If 2% didn't pass and they saved money thats enough for me. That said 2% would not be $60k and 2% is only 1600 people???Only 80k people on welfare in the whole state?? don't you just love numbers.

Welfare is only $37 in Florida. ???????????????????????
edit on 14-8-2012 by mikellmikell because: Silly numbers anyway

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join