It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can add to infinity

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There is no such thing as an EXACT number in the universe....there is only an estimate number.

For example...there is no exact number 1 for it is undefined. The real number is 0.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999... to inifinity 9. We simply round up to make life easier.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

First off, you didn't demonstrate that there is a such thing as "nothing". Second, having "nothing" is not an "infinity of nothing". If there were an "infinity of nothing" then nothing would exist (which is not true).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Is your imagination made up of particles? Are your memories consisted of particles? No. Your mind is the thing that is void of anything measurable or observable because it is the thing which is doing the measuring and observing.

Your mind is no-thing because a thing is defined as something measurable.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

First off, you didn't demonstrate that there is a such thing as "nothing". Second, having "nothing" is not an "infinity of nothing". If there were an "infinity of nothing" then nothing would exist (which is not true).

Nothing you just said makes any sense.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Nothing does not exist by its own definition, so the concept of nothing is infinite. It's kind of like the color black. If it is pure black it is infinitely black because there is no color in black.
edit on 14-8-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The fact that It has function (observation) and I can "label" it is proof that it is indeed "something". Just because it is not particles, does not mean that it is not "something". The Mind is "Space" and space is something that exists. There is no void. Since mind is space, the energy within the space creates thought. Space is made of virtual particles, and everything else is on top of that. There is no void.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Your mind doesn't take up any space though. It is a void of nothing because it doesn't take up any space. Nothing takes up no space, it is the absence of space.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NewAgeMan

0/0 = ∞/∞

Nope, because infinite is not nothing, and in fact, there is nothing that is not. Everything, is one.

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
1/1 = ∞/∞

Therefore ∞ = 1 (not 0)

Edit to add: Since we cannot count down from an infinite series to zero, we're already in infinity, now, and since there is nothing that is not, there is no escape.

Again, an infinite number of things isn't nothing, or zero, that's absurd.

Thus, if there's anything at all, then it's everything, even if it's not anything in particular.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm not going to even try to guess or figure anything out for this. You guys are all ridiculous, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's a non particularized everything, everwhere, at once.

If it was zero, there'd be nothing, but that's not the case, thank God.

How much better then, that there IS something and not nothing..

For this my response, is gratitude!

How far would someone go, to deny God as the first/last cause? Would they rather there were nothing at all instead of the something that is everything?

I think we've just discovered the atheist's foxhole!

edit on 14-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

0/0 = ∞/∞

0/0 and ∞/∞ are undefined. They aren't equivalent since you cannot perform the mathematical operation with those two operands to achieve an answer. Just because they are both undefined doesn't mean that they are equivalent. I believe you are responding to someone who suggested that 1/1 = ∞/∞. However that is untrue as well. 1/1 = 1 and ∞/∞ is undefined. To suggest that 1/1 = ∞/∞ suggests that ∞ is a number when it isn't.

I just thought of another way to help think of infinity. Let us say that the Set A is defined as infinity. What would you say the complement of A would be? Well since infinity would represent everything, I'd say that the complement of it would be 0. A set's complement cannot be equivalent to the set itself.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Why can't it be divided by itself?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Because ∞ isn't a number. I can't divide table/saw because neither a table nor a saw are numbers.

I am going to use a proof by contradiction to prove what I am saying.
To start let us assume that ∞/∞ = 1.
Now let us define the ∞ in the numerator as the set of all real numbers (R) and define the ∞ in the denominator as the set of all natural numbers (N).
This is possible because I know that R and N are both infinite sets.
Therefore we can substitute this for the original equation: R/N
By using properties of countable sets I can say that R != N
Since the only way for two operands to be divided together to equal 1 is possible is if they are equivalent I can say that R/N != 1 QED

Also like to add that this proof assumes that you can divide with ∞, which you can't.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

No, because everything is separate, on a physical level. I'm talking about being a part of everything. You cannot be part of everything and still retain individual identity, which makes you nothing.

Or the apple, in this case.

edit on 14-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

" There are only two things I know that go to infinity. The universe and the stupidity of man. I'm not completely sure
about the Universe."

Albert Einstien

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I like that. I can relate to that quote. By whatever gods there be, geniuses make more sense to me than most of the people I hang out with.

How sad is that?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I still like the 1" idea. Theorectically it can be divided in half endlessly (infinitely) Where as a apple you would get down to a piece the size of a atom thus splitting the atom and I believe you can only do that once.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

It's the questions we can't answer that often teach us the most.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

I like that. I can relate to that quote. By whatever gods there be, geniuses make more sense to me than most of the people I hang out with.

How sad is that?

The contrast is what gets me.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Meaning what, exactly?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join