It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Fundamentalists Avoid Hot Women With 'Modesty Glasses'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Dont get me wrong CookieMonster09 i pray, allways nice to hedge your bets. I just dont need a church, chappel, synagogue or mosque to do so. Organised religion is nothing more than a control construct put in place by the TPTB for one purpose, the complete and utter control of the way we/u/i think! Politics is the same crap different side of the coin.

"The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you. Not in buildings of wood and stone. Lift a stone and you will find me. Split a piece of wood and I am there."

There is more truth in the above statement than we will ever comprehend in this verse!
edit on 16-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I respect all belief systems but require answers. So where is God then, how is he not here in person fixing this mess we call humanity and handing out "Modesty Glasses", please dont start with all the free will garbage. he should turn up or shut up!

These are important theological questions best left for a priest, rabbi, or minister, etc. of your choosing. In all seriousness, I wouldn't be qualified to give you an answer.

It was interesting that they actually make bathing suits that cover the whole body....all I could think of was falling in the pool once fully dressed, and how "weighed down" it felt....but maybe they have some light weight fabric they use? For myself it would completely alter the swimming experience , as I like feeling water on my skin.

Yes, very light weight. Here's an example - Go here: www.ahiida.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

"These are important theological questions best left for a priest, rabbi, or minister, etc. of your choosing. In all seriousness, I wouldn't be qualified to give you an answer."

Yes you are, your a human being created in gods image, Whats the difference between you and a priest? Aside of course mental conditioning that the priest has(Thats me putting it nicely by the way). You seem quite educated on the subject, give it a shot, i might learn something, ive never asked anyone Jewish those questions before. Have a dig?

edit on 16-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
Where do you draw the line? And, I mean this as a serious question. Why not have everyone run around naked, then? Should all TV shows and movies have nakedness? How about billboards and advertising?

I would have absolutely no problem with that. In many European countries women being topless isn't an unusual sight at all and they have commercials with nudity in them. Are those countries any worse off than America? Not in the least. I try to live by the golden rule. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Empathy. Don't criticize others for their sense of fashion, or comfort level of their clothing in hot weather, unless you you don't mind them coming back and attacking your outdated beliefs. The human body is natural and beautiful. If you are offended by somebody because they wear less clothing in hot weather, then I really don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you feel that catching heat stroke because somebody bundles up their body in 100 degree heat would be justified since you saved the potential of a few men seeing somebody's bare arms.

Controlling your children is about teaching them and being a good parent; not hiding women's bare arms or shoulders from the rest of society.

Are you also against men doing yard work or going to the beach without a shirt on? Why should a woman and her breasts be any different? I just don't understand that line of thinking and it's certainly a double standard (among many) in society today. Maybe you could answer that for me.

My point is that our culture has been degraded to such a point that immodesty is the norm. Back 50 years ago, this would never be culturally accepted. We have, unfortunately, become an indecent and immoral culture. And, if you have any sense of spirituality at all, you know that this kind of indecency has negative consequences for society as a whole.

I'd say we've become a free culture. We don't have to conform to another person's religion. We can wear comfortable and fashionable clothing without people getting bent out of shape about it. The body is natural, why hide it? I'd argue that sexual suppression has much more negative consequences in society than sexual freedom.

Consider this: The orthodox Jewish and Muslim families in the United States and Europe have a massive birth rate compared to secular society. Many of these orthodox religious couples have 7-10 kids or more. I think that over the next 100 years, that secular society will be overrun by the the orthodox religious, if only by birth rate alone. Just my opinion.

That would really be a shame. Many religious people don't always consider population control, they just keep popping out babies like it's a clown car to spread their religion. An exponential population increase rate is not sustainable. It's a shame some folks care more about ancient myths, than the future of humanity. Secular society cares about our future, while non secular people think the world is ending and are waiting for the rapture, so they procreate and waste resources without consequence. The bible condones wastefulness. This teaching is dangerous.

And regardless of birth rates, organized religion is dying. Partially because the beliefs are old and outdated, partially because of science and the fact that people are much more intelligent today, and also because people don't like to be oppressed anymore and aren't tortured and murdered for not following them.

Also if topless women were the norm, people wouldn't be so uptight about seeing one. The reason men look at a hot woman or like to see nudity is because it is hidden from society by censorship and uptight people that want their religion to control everyone else's life. If this were never the case, then see a topless woman, would be like any regular person walking down the street. Most religion dates back around 4-6 thousand years at the most, while homo sapiens have been on this planet for over 200,000 years. What did we do before clothing was invented? Everybody used to be naked (or close to it) when we lived in an extremely hot African climate, but then religion began taking over and oppressing and controlling people.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thank-You for the swim suit link, that was really interesting...and I'm happy women that want to swim and exercise have options that still respect thier faith...lol.....funny.. prices for a full body suit is about the same price as one with much less material...

It is just so different then what would seem "normal" to me....I can hardly handle my hair on my neck if it's hot, always have a ponytail holder, I just can't imagine being in the sun with a hood, long sleeves, and long pants...but I bet these ladies have beautiful skin under these things, and alot less skin cancer.....

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I understand where you are coming from, and yes a line does have to be drawn because we live in a society where there are many different views about what's appropriate. It's also a majority belief that people shouldn't walk around naked.

I just don't see an issue with naked people. I'd have no problem with people walking around naked. There are many folks that I'd really rather NOT see naked but I wouldn't be offended or anything.

Most of the world's mentality is programed in a certain way that nakedness instantly turns into some hypersexual thing. Maybe it's from being sexually repressed, I don't know, I'm no expert. But I've read a lot about various tribes that never wore clothes, and it's incredibly interesting how when that's what your used to then it no longer becomes a big deal. Unfathomable to most of the world who go bananas when they see a boob pop out on live TV.

I'm kind of getting off track now but I'm just trying to show how the aversion to nakedness that we have in most of the world is not some naturally occurring thing. It's programmed in. If you were brought up in a society where being naked wasn't an issue at all, then you wouldn't have a problem with it.

For much of humanity's past we never wore clothes. When did it all change and god decided we had to cover everything up?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yes you are, your a human being created in gods image, Whats the difference between you and a priest? Aside of course mental conditioning that the priest has(Thats me putting it nicely by the way). You seem quite educated on the subject, give it a shot, i might learn something, ive never asked anyone Jewish those questions before. Have a dig?

I respect all belief systems but require answers. So where is God then, how is he not here in person fixing this mess we call humanity and handing out "Modesty Glasses", please dont start with all the free will garbage. he should turn up or shut up!

I'll try my best. If you are Jewish, the traditional belief is that G-d is not "corporeal", meaning he does not have a physical body. The traditional Jewish view is that G-d is eternal, has unlimited power, is all-knowing, and infinitely benevolent. He is the Creator and Master of the Universe. The best way to communicate with G-d is through prayer and supplications.

Are you also against men doing yard work or going to the beach without a shirt on? Why should a woman and her breasts be any different? I just don't understand that line of thinking and it's certainly a double standard (among many) in society today. Maybe you could answer that for me.

It's the over-the-top "sexualization" of immodest clothing that I find most objectionable. Young women don't just wear skimpy clothing - They deliberately wear immodest clothing that is purposely designed to draw attention in a "sexual" manner.

Personally - just my opinion - I generally agree that to meet the highest standards of modesty that men (and women) should cover their arms and shoulders, and that men should generally not wear shorts. But, that's just my opinion, and I am very, very conservative. I tend to err on the side of caution, and I certainly am aware that my opinion goes against the grain of modern secular society.

I'd say we've become a free culture.

With freedom, comes responsibility. There is considerable moral hazard with the "do whatever you want" philosophy.

And regardless of birth rates, organized religion is dying.

Traditional orthodox Muslims, Jews, and even Christians have growth rates that are rather astounding. In Catholicism, for instance, the secular, Vatican II Catholics are losing ground, but the ultra-orthodox traditionalist "old school" Latin Rite Catholics are growing exponentially.

My point is that the rampant growth in organized religion is occurring among the orthodox of all the major Western religions.

For much of humanity's past we never wore clothes. When did it all change and god decided we had to cover everything up?

I don't know the answer to the question. I would speculate that it all started with Adam and Even eating the apple, lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the response, Cookie. You have been professional and honest, I definitely appreciate that.

It's the over-the-top "sexualization" of immodest clothing that I find most objectionable. Young women don't just wear skimpy clothing - They deliberately wear immodest clothing that is purposely designed to draw attention in a "sexual" manner.

What you call "immodest", other people call natural beauty. But again, it's our nature, why fight it? How is it any different than a male peacock setting up a dazzling feather show to attract a mate? I just don't understand why sexuality is considered immoral, when it's the main reason we dominate the planet today. It's 100% natural. If god wanted it that way, then I don't see why nature is so full of naked animals and sex.

Perrsonally - just my opinion - I generally agree that to meet the highest standards of modesty that men (and women) should cover their arms and shoulders, and that men should generally not wear shorts. But, that's just my opinion, and I am very, very conservative. I tend to err on the side of caution, and I certainly am aware that my opinion goes against the grain of modern secular society.

So I guess you don't really believe in going to the beach or getting a tan. So how does modesty make someone a better person?

With freedom, comes responsibility. There is considerable moral hazard with the "do whatever you want" philosophy.
Where is the hazard in wearing skimpy clothing? If you want to believe all that, I have no problem with it, but I do have a problem with trying to force this view on society and to try to make people wear what your religion wants them to wear. I don't don't see why it's so difficult to resist temptation that you need to hide it from society. If you truly believe what your are saying, then it shouldn't phase you in the least.

]
Traditional orthodox Muslims, Jews, and even Christians have growth rates that are rather astounding. In Catholicism, for instance, the secular, Vatican II Catholics are losing ground, but the ultra-orthodox traditionalist "old school" Latin Rite Catholics are growing exponentially.

My point is that the rampant growth in organized religion is occurring among the orthodox of all the major Western religions.

They might be growing, but they already represent such a small minority that it doesn't really matter in the long run. That pretty much proves my point about having tons of kids on purpose to spread their religion.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

How is it any different than a male peacock setting up a dazzling feather show to attract a mate? I just don't understand why sexuality is considered immoral, when it's the main reason we dominate the planet today. It's 100% natural. If god wanted it that way, then I don't see why nature is so full of naked animals and sex.

Theologically speaking, mankind is not just an animal. We are spiritual beings, with souls, and that means a higher calling to be holy. We are endowed by our Creator with a mind to think, to reason - which places us far ahead of the animal kingdom.

So I guess you don't really believe in going to the beach or getting a tan. So how does modesty make someone a better person?

Maybe modesty just makes someone more aware of how they treat others. It's a sign of respect towards your fellow man. The whole, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto yourself" theology. I wouldn't want to see another person naked or immodest, so I take steps to be modest so that others don't have to see me naked or dressing immodestly.

Where is the hazard in wearing skimpy clothing? If you want to believe all that, I have no problem with it, but I do have a problem with trying to force this view on society and to try to make people wear what your religion wants them to wear. I don't don't see why it's so difficult to resist temptation that you need to hide it from society. If you truly believe what your are saying, then it shouldn't phase you in the least.

At least in Western society, there is no modesty police. In other countries, this is not so. No one is advocating the implementation of the modesty police. What others do is their choice, but I don't have to necessarily agree with their choices. But that doesn't mean I am trying to force my views on society.

In the case of the glasses being marketed to Orthodox Jews, this is not a law or a requirement being forced on Jewish men. It is purely their choice to wear these glasses.

They might be growing, but they already represent such a small minority that it doesn't really matter in the long run. That pretty much proves my point about having tons of kids on purpose to spread their religion.

If you look internationally, this is not so. In Israel, the orthodox are growing in record numbers based on birth rates alone. They will soon represent the majority voting bloc. Same with Islam. Europe will be over-run by Islam given the current birth rates alone. This is a statistical demographic trend, nothing more.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Humans are animals, we are just the most intelligent. I understand what the bible says about sexuality and modesty, I'm curious as to why it says what it does. Why is it considered wrong? How is it harmful to others? Why did sexuality get so badly repressed and what does god have against it? I'm really looking for real world examples of how somebody's sexuality and proudness of their body can harm somebody else. Thoughts do not harm others. Nudity does not harm others. Actions and lack of self control do. I agree with "Do unto others" but what about "Judge not"? You look at a girl wearing revealing clothes and instantly assume she's promiscuous or that showing a bare arm or shoulder leads to evil. You can't blame anybody or anything for somebody doing evil actions except the person himself. That's similar to claiming violent movies and video games lead to violence when 99.9% of the time they do not. Thinking about stealing something does not make you guilty of thievery. The difference is some will take action on that thought, harming others, and some will not. Again, I appreciate the time you took to respond. It's interesting even though I don't really agree
My life philosophy is pretty much, do what makes you happy, provided it does not cause harm or suffering to others. Live unselfishly and benevolently and let empathy dictate your actions.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well if i even needed the big dudes help, its tonight, here's hoping he hears me and helps!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Well if i even needed the big dudes help, its tonight, here's hoping he hears me and helps!

I hope he hears you too....and he helps you........all I can offer is that "God", however you relate to this...is complicated........(hug)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Humans are animals, we are just the most intelligent.

We have a spiritual component that is lacking in the animal world.

I understand what the bible says about sexuality and modesty, I'm curious as to why it says what it does. Why is it considered wrong?

Because immodest dress could potentially lead to sexual improprieties. Human beings aren't perfect, and do make mistakes and errors in judgment.

Think of it this way - If you don't want your child running in the street, you tell him to not cross the sidewalk instead of the curb. You put stricter rules in place to prevent an accident. Modest dress is similar.

In Jewish tradition, a married man is not supposed to be alone in another room with a woman who is not his wife. Why? To prevent temptation. We are, after all, dealing with fallible human beings.

Why did sexuality get so badly repressed and what does god have against it?

G-d stated, "Be fruitful and multiply". He doesn't have a problem with sexuality. He does have a problem with sexual improprieties -- such as adultery, etc.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thank you, seems to be helping so far. If this keeps up i may have to re-evaluate my believe structure. Thanks again!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join