It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Fundamentalists Avoid Hot Women With 'Modesty Glasses'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Would you prefer them in full length burkas? LoL If its not broke dont try and fix it! You dont need to go out, you can always stay in doors, im sure theres no bad naked ladys(Wife excluded of course) in you apartment waiting to corrupt your "tzniut"!

Well, let me give you an example. I had to go to a medical clinic with my son, and the lady who registered us was wearing a burka. (For those of you who don't know what a burka is, it is a religious attire that is worn by Islamic women to cover their arms, legs, and even head (scarf). Google the term to see an example.)

Now, her face was showing, and the burka was actually quite fashionable, believe it or not. It was a mixture of green and olive colors. She was very professional and her burka was very modest.

While we are walking out of the clinic, I see several women wearing very, very immodest clothing - Cleavage everywhere, tight shorts, etc. - You get the idea.

When I compare the two options - Modest dress versus immodest dress, I ask myself what kind of world do I want my children to live in? Personally, I prefer the modest dress. Immodest dress is trashy, and shows little self-respect. Say what you want about the burka, but at least she dressed modestly and professionally.

You must be very easily offended or aroused mate, take your pick.

Just more aware. Having young ones changes your viewpoint. I don't want my kids growing up around women wearing immodest clothing. Call it personal preference.

Also, and I know this may sound unusual, but I personally find a woman more attractive if she has a sense of decency and respect for herself by dressing modestly. There is something to be said about "mystery" in romance that we seem to have lost in our culture.

Too many young women wear skimpy clothing that is far too immodest for my personal preference. We live in a culture wear this is everywhere -- advertising, movies, TV, etc. I would also state that this immodesty is categorically a modern phenomenon, and was far less common 50 years ago in American culture.

oh...one last thing, how about swimming,...would they seek to ban women from wearing bathing suits too?

Yes, there are very fashionable swimsuits for women that are the height of modesty used in Islamic culture. Arms and head are covered, as are the legs. They even sell men's swimsuits that cover the legs, and swim shirts that cover the arms.

Personally, I think the idea of a man covering his legs and arms is generally a good example to set for children. Modest dress sets a good example for the younger generation.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I have to agree here. If a man is unable to function properly and live equally amongst members of the opposite sex without being tempted to do inappropriate things, maybe he's not fit to live in society at all.

Women in that community should'nt have to be hidden because of someone else's lack of self control. I bet it makes them feel pretty dirty and shameful. It's those men who should feel dirty and shameful. Blaming women for "tempting" them just by living among them normally? They have to sit elsewhere, dress a certain way ...etc. just so some pig doesn't get all rapey?

It's just like how some will blame rape victims for their rape. Absolutely disturbing society we live in.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

That is a really stupid idiot thing to say. God created women to be appealing and admired for their beauty? We were created for more. Our purpose is not a sexual one. It's this short-sighted attitude and opinion that keep women oppressed. I really hope you're just some uneducated twenty-something single male, or I am very disappointed in the progression of men.

Big ups to the men here arguing that women are not to be held accountable for the lustful actions of men though.

I will say one thing: I expect respect, and I give it. I don't perversely ogle every man I come in contact with on a daily basis because I have self control, respect for men and myself. Especially if I'm in a relationship. I respect my man and only have eyes for him. We are a dyin breed, but we're out there. I know ALOT of disgusting women who act like total predators, so it goes both ways.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Modesty glasses? I hope those things work better than the X-ray specs I ordered, as a kid from the back of a comic book . I cannot begin to describe the disappointment I felt when those things finally arrived!

On topic- seems kind of superfluous... if the idea is not to have lust in your heart - then simply blocking your field of visions is kind of a religious cheat.

~Heff

These things would kind of be the complete opposite to x-ray glasses. Which means no fun. Which means they probably work great!

The point you make about being a "religious cheat" is a GREAT point that I never would have thought of! The same goes for covering women up so that you can't see them.

If god really wanted men to not be lustful, you aren't following god's rules by simply not looking at the women or covering them up. You still have lust when you do look at a woman.

Actually controlling your emotions to NOT be lustful seems like what god would really want, not just cheating and not having to deal with women's attractiveness.

Anyway, this whole thing seems REALLY stupid to me. I've no problem with lust or women dressing in an attractive manner, I think both are great

But this does seem like a good product for those men that are so caught up in hokey religions that they can't look at a woman. This way they don't have to oppress the woman by forcing them to cover up, they only have to oppress their own vision and leave the women alone.

This makes everybody happy, right? Unless some woman wants to claim she has the right to force men to look at her exposed, and in focus body. Which I doubt will ever happen.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
It is beyond sickening to me to see this primitive ugly form of segration and fascism and inequality, a blast from thousands of years ago primitive crapola, creeping up everywhere, as if TPTB are insisting on recreating the past inequality and conditions.

I am sickened by it and hope every single woman of conscious dresses as she wants and gives them the middle finger salute.

I think they should all pledge to never marry any men who behave like this and stand in front of the legislators by the thousands and millions. Never never allow them to pass unlawful laws, that violate the Virtues and Common Law, which is not the biblical dress code virtues, but infinite inalienable rights, freedom, equality, and not to be harmed, no fasicsm allowed, and no theocracies. Those are the real Virtues, not to harm. Not to control. Not to act like thugs and controllling freaks.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

I don't really get your post at all.

First, what does this have to do with "TPTB" are you saying "TPTB" invented these goggles?

Secondly, what does this have to do with controlling freaks or men being oppressive or behaving badly? Is it a woman's right to force men to look at her?

If a man doesn't want to look at an attractive female that's his right. Normally this was accomplished by forcing the women to cover up. That's wrong. It's oppressive. These goggles, on the other hand, put the responsibility on the person with the problem, the man. If he doesn't want to see attractive women, he doesn't have to, and he doesn't have to oppress any women in the process. He simply wears goggles that stops him from seeing them. What exactly is wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

If women want to wear skimpy clothing it is their choice. There is nothing wrong with it. Whatever you think is sinful is up to you, it is all perceptive.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
In Jewish customs and tradition, there is a word for modesty called tzniut. It means modesty, and involves taking proactive steps to prevent immodesty.

In our American culture, we have far to many young women walking around with bare shoulders, bare arms, and skimpy clothing. I see this all the time when I go out in public.

On Fox News last night, I commented to my wife that the woman attorney on the screen had her cleavage showing, and bare arms and bare shoulders. When they placed a headline at the bottom of the screen, she looked half-naked. It was so egregious and disgusting.

You have to commend these ultra-Orthodox Jews for trying to avoid immodest looks. It beats the alternative.

In Orthodox Judaism, men are expected to wear long pants, and long sleeve shirts according to modesty practices. Shorts are not acceptable among many Orthodox Jews. Women wear scarves, and must keep their arms and legs covered as well.

What is the purpose of modesty? To try to not draw attention to yourself, and to avoid people looking at you in a sinful manner.

See, this I take issue with. We are born naked. If you are religious, and believe in Adam and Eve, they were naked. There are many cultures were people were no, or very little body coverings.

You have this concept that the human body is disgusting, it's not. If God wanted us covered up he should have given us a full covering of thick fur like a bigfoot. If you believe god created humans than you should welcome the idea of someone showing off their body, because they are showing off the handiwork of god.

When I build an awesome motor I love popping the hood and showing it off to people. It's my handiwork, I want people to see and admire it. I'd imagine God would feel the same way about the human body, since religious people always say humans are gods finest creations, so lets show it off!

The only issue I have with women exposing their bodies is when they complain about men looking at them. They catch you staring and give you a dirty look. That's messed up. I mean really, get over yourself. Don't have your boobs popping out if you don't want guys to look. Don't have your thong peeking out above your jeans that are so short the pockets hang out and so tight you used a crowbar to get into them if you don't want a man admiring your backside.

If I walked the streets wearing a g-string showing the outline of a large erect penis and then complained about women looking, I'd be a complete idiot. And so are women that complain about guys looking at them admiring their figure.

I don't think women should have to put up with a bunch of guys touching them, grabbing them, following them doing obscene things. But just looking at them? Any woman that complains about this is just a complete tool in my opinion. I'm SO sorry for complimenting you by admiring how beautiful and well put together you are. It's SUCH an insult, I know

Another thing is when 15-16 year old girls, who are fully developed, dress incredibly revealing, and then people act as if you are some sort of pervert for looking. I'm sorry, if you have a developed figure with large breasts and hips, are showing your boobs popping out of your shirt, and have pants on that are riding up your arse I'm gonna look. Only 16? Well good thing I'm not dating you, I'm just looking. If society deems it not OK to look at them, then society should deem it not OK to dress like that.

edit on 16-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Certainly better than covering the women from head to toes..

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

The irony here is that it still won't stop men from walking into streetsign poles.

The whole idea behind these kinds of beliefs is that women are distracting from other, more 'valuable' pursuits, like being holy, study, e.t.c.

why it is imposed outside of temples and clergy is just beyond my ken.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
To each their own.

Mind you, if the jewish population here in AU was to start sectioning off parts of the country as Modesty zones, they'd be laughed at from every which way, nobody wiould take it seriousely.

Good luck with upholding something like that here...lol

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

You are obviously an older gentleman with a firm religious belief system in place, so im going to have some respect for your seniority. Unfortunately for your way of thinking the ideals you hold so dear are arcanic and around 100 years of of date. Women are free these days and just no longer require religious fundamentalists guidance or control constructs. Peace mate, have a good day!
edit on 16-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

The irony here is that it still won't stop men from walking into streetsign poles.

The whole idea behind these kinds of beliefs is that women are distracting from other, more 'valuable' pursuits, like being holy, study, e.t.c.

why it is imposed outside of temples and clergy is just beyond my ken.

LOL....that first line was funny.....

You make a very good point though, how odd that just seeing, or being in the presence of attractive women seems to "pervert" thier spiritual pursuits in some way? I certainly can't speak to what's in the minds of men, and this is in a different part of the world......but I think wearing shorts, and sleevless shirts is so normal here, even some bike cops, mail carriers, etc. even wear shorts...because it's HOT....lol...no pun intended.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

Dont take this the wrong way but if i was Jewish i would not be closing off anything in the USA, you need to remember mate the US are the new Nazis(Current Gov not the people), i would hate to see another holocaust perpetrated against your people! Think on this, what do you think all those planned FEMA camps are for? You dont want to be building your own ghetto, so to speak.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The only difference between Jews and Muslims is that the former has the US' backing and (thus) their 'homeland', while the latter does not. These delusional Abrahamic abstracts are mutually interchangeable and should always be considered as such.

A suicide bomb for a phylactery is only a few settlements away.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If women want to wear skimpy clothing it is their choice. There is nothing wrong with it. Whatever you think is sinful is up to you, it is all perceptive.

See, this I take issue with. We are born naked. If you are religious, and believe in Adam and Eve, they were naked. There are many cultures were people were no, or very little body coverings.

Where do you draw the line? And, I mean this as a serious question. Why not have everyone run around naked, then? Should all TV shows and movies have nakedness? How about billboards and advertising?

My point is that our culture has been degraded to such a point that immodesty is the norm. Back 50 years ago, this would never be culturally accepted. We have, unfortunately, become an indecent and immoral culture. And, if you have any sense of spirituality at all, you know that this kind of indecency has negative consequences for society as a whole.

You are obviously an older gentleman with a firm religious belief system in place, so im going to have some respect for your seniority. Unfortunately for your way of thinking the ideals you hold so dear are arcanic and around 100 years of of date. Women are free these days and just no longer require religious fundamentalists guidance or control constructs. Peace mate, have a good day!

The ideas may be archaic, but to the religious Muslim or Jew or Christian, the guidelines and commandments set down in Holy Writ are timeless. God called His People to be holy, and that means dressing in an appropriate manner. In our secular culture, I am sure these concepts sound foreign and strange, but it was not that long ago when society was much more conservative and modest.

Consider this: The orthodox Jewish and Muslim families in the United States and Europe have a massive birth rate compared to secular society. Many of these orthodox religious couples have 7-10 kids or more. I think that over the next 100 years, that secular society will be overrun by the the orthodox religious, if only by birth rate alone. Just my opinion.

In fact, I see this where I live. I see more and more women wearing the burka, where you would never see this happen here 30 years ago. The orthodox Jewish and Muslim families are slowly populating society faster than secular society.

Think about it. Most of my secular friends have 2-3 kids, if that. Most have 1 or 2. None have 8-10 kids. My point is that this trend in conservative dress is likely to continue into the foreseeable future, and will likely arrive in your backyard if it hasn't already.

edit on 16-8-2012 by CookieMonster09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

edit on 16-8-2012 by CookieMonster09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Aw cookiemonster i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but God is dead atleast from an organised religious standpoint, he/she is simply no longer required in todays world. If this is not so then where is God, the dude cant even be bothered to turn up and fix the mess he/she created in the first place. Theres more chance of little Grey men turning up and annihilating us humans than some omnipotent deity coming to our aid.

I not saying he dosent exist just that he/she dosent care anymore. It happened to the Angels and Nephilim, maybe he/she has found a new toy eh?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Aw cookiemonster i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but God is dead atleast from an organised religious standpoint, he/she is simply no longer required in todays world. If this is not so then where is God, the dude cant even be bothered to turn up and fix the mess he/she created in the first place. Theres more chance of little Grey men turning up and annihilating us humans than some omnipotent deity coming to our aid. I not saying he dosent exist just that he/she dosent care anymore. It happened to the Angels and Nephilim, maybe he/she has found a new toy eh?

I respect your belief system. For me, personally, God is very much alive. I have witnessed miracle after miracle in my life that can only be explained as Divine intervention. You are certainly entitled to disagree and to hold a differing belief system - I respect that.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I respect all belief systems but require answers. So where is God then, how is he not here in person fixing this mess we call humanity and handing out "Modesty Glasses", please dont start with all the free will garbage. he should turn up or shut up!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

God is very much alive for me too......♥

You ask some good questions about "where do we draw the line" .....and it's a valid point......earlier in this thread I think I expressed where I personally draw the line......I think a woman can wear clothes that accent her figure and remain tasteful.......the way I have tried to explain this to my daughter...is that she will "attract" what she projects to others, and that includes how she dresses. LOL....God knows her and I have had our differences about what is and is not appropriate to wear...especially to school....

It was interesting that they actually make bathing suits that cover the whole body....all I could think of was falling in the pool once fully dressed, and how "weighed down" it felt....but maybe they have some light weight fabric they use? For myself it would completely alter the swimming experience , as I like feeling water on my skin.

edit on 16-8-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join