It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Fundamentalists Avoid Hot Women With 'Modesty Glasses'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

JERUSALEM — It’s the latest prescription for extreme ultra-Orthodox Jewish men who shun contact with the opposite sex: Glasses that blur their vision, so they don’t have to see women they consider to be immodestly dressed.

In an effort to maintain their strictly devout lifestyle, the ultra-Orthodox have separated the sexes on buses, sidewalks and other public spaces in their neighborhoods. Their interpretation of Jewish law forbids contact between men and women who are not married.

Walls in their neighborhoods feature signs exhorting women to wear closed-necked, long-sleeved blouses and long skirts. Extremists have accosted women they consider to have flouted the code.

The ultra-Orthodox community’s unofficial “modesty patrols” are selling glasses with special blur-inducing stickers on their lenses. The glasses provide clear vision for up to a few meters so as not to impede movement, but anything beyond that gets blurry — including women. It’s not known how many have been sold.

www.nydailynews.com...

Why are most religion so anti-human? Anything that is somewhat pleasurable and normal is seen as evil and sin.. It's just ridiculous. Why would you want to blur your eyesight intentionally just so you won't stare at tits?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
We all have different temptations that some strive to control. My tempations do not happen to include women. But if that was a problem I was having, that might be one solution. This one is best left up to the individual and where he is on his particular spiritual path.

The modesty patrols, though? That's a tougher one to support.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It's certainly a better solution than violating women's rights.

It's a form of self-censorship. Here's a question, is it right for an individual to selectively censor his/her own senses?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
First of all, in my mind, there are all kinds of wrong with this...

If that is the dogma you practice, why would you ever need a tool that would assure your adherence to your principles??

If they are so tripped out about the temptation, maybe they ought to consider living underground or something.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, they just ought to give up and surrender to the fact that we are the #!! Women run the men that run the world. Perhaps they need a little truth with their baklava.
edit on 14-8-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-8-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Modesty glasses? I hope those things work better than the X-ray specs I ordered, as a kid from the back of a comic book . I cannot begin to describe the disappointment I felt when those things finally arrived!

On topic- seems kind of superfluous... if the idea is not to have lust in your heart - then simply blocking your field of visions is kind of a religious cheat.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

That is hilarious, the X-ray specs!! LOL What about the invisible ink for 4 boxtops of Captain Crunch. And the dang Sea Monkeys!! They have been giving us the chew for a looooong time.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Sea monkeys! Now those were awesome, much better than modesty glasses. I remember my sister and I used to have a small tank for each of ours.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Explanation: Ok ... here is the physical reasons behind the why of this ... [which I shall not judge].

Mirror Neuron [wiki]

A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another. Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behaviour of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate and other species including birds. In humans, brain activity consistent with that of mirror neurons has been found in the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex.

Theory of Mind [wiki]

Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own.

And an ancient Jewish point of view ... Jesus spoke these words ...

Mathew chptr 5 verses 27-29 [blueletterbible.org]

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Legos

Explanation: St*rred!

Yes it is ok ...

Personal Disclosure: But only if one has little or no SELF CONTROL at the level of the mind and so wearing glasses like this proves they weakwilled and half hearted and liable to sin at the level of their base natures.

In other words they know they are inherently evil wild and they try to curb that. Good for them!

But to rely on a physical placebo shows that they aren't up to that task cognitively and thats an epic fail!

edit on 14-8-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to strike out evil and replace with wild.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Is this not better than plucking one's own eye out if it offends him? Men are very visual sexually and some men have a hard time controlling sexual thoughts, especially with how women dress in today's age.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Miniatus

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How exactly does removing the temptation, make the individual more pious?

The whole idea is to encounter temptation, but resist it. They are essentially removing the concept of free will and making the right decision by limiting the decisions. It makes no sense.

In an attempt to become more pious, they have completely missed the point.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well, I personally think it's silly but at least they are taking the initiative to place the responsibility on themselves.

Better than making the opposite sex run around in full cloaks with only slits for eyes. If you are the one with the issue, it's on you to limit yourself- not force others to limit themselves because you cannot control your senses.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Reply to post by AshleyD

Having women run around in cloaks is the same problem though.

They are creating a situation where rather than resist temptation, which is what the lord wants, they remove the object of temptation. It doesn't make any sense. One is not pious if they resist something which isn't tempting them.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Reply to post by AshleyD

They are creating a situation where rather than resist temptation, which is what the lord wants, they remove the object of temptation. It doesn't make any sense. One is not pious if they resist something which isn't tempting them.

I'm not religious but I actually agree with this.

It's one thing to avoid temptation ie ... a person doesn't go to strip bar or a drug user avoids needles but ... This just seems a bit crazy to me? It just seems incredibly un-natural to require to dull your senses so you don't pounce on the nearest sex object thus violating your religious code?

I wonder if we can start selling them anti-androgens and other chemical castration drugs.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Pinke because: un-natural

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
How exactly does removing the temptation, make the individual more pious?

The whole idea is to encounter temptation, but resist it. They are essentially removing the concept of free will and making the right decision by limiting the decisions. It makes no sense.

In an attempt to become more pious, they have completely missed the point.

...as have most religous institutions, in this day and age. when charity, love and kindness, is replaced by restrictive dogma and archaic rules, it simply drives people away.
edit on 14-8-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It is beyond sickening to me to see this primitive ugly form of segration and fascism and inequality, a blast from thousands of years ago primitive crapola, creeping up everywhere, as if TPTB are insisting on recreating the past inequality and conditions.

I am sickened by it and hope every single woman of conscious dresses as she wants and gives them the middle finger salute.

I think they should all pledge to never marry any men who behave like this and stand in front of the legislators by the thousands and millions. Never never allow them to pass unlawful laws, that violate the Virtues and Common Law, which is not the biblical dress code virtues, but infinite inalienable rights, freedom, equality, and not to be harmed, no fasicsm allowed, and no theocracies. Those are the real Virtues, not to harm. Not to control. Not to act like thugs and controllling freaks.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
They are not just wearing these glasses, which is far better than burqa's. They are making laws of segregation on busses and various things, and asking women to wear high necklines and long skirts and threatening assault on those who don't follow suit.

I would be carrying a big club and bear spray myself.

I'd rather see a bunch of guys in traction with big bertha the mean nurse for a year than ever see one woman cave into this crapola. And of course this is about self defense.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It is their belief and if they want to practice it, without bothering anyone, so be it.
There is nothing wrong with how they practice their religion.
It's their business.

I have nothing wrong with the practices of other religions, either.
As long as it doesn't interfere with my own life.

But I will also say this...
They way I see these little teenyboppers dressing today! Outrageous!
Good grief, I see girls at ages 10-12 wearing cutoff shorts with pockets exposed.
Unbelievable to say the least and I don't condone that activity.
I blame bad parenting to the fullest.
And the television...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I read about segregation on busses. Women being told what to wear. And retaliation on women who didn't.

How does that relate to their business, their religion? It doesnt seem to be something privately practiced but something that infringes on the rights of others and is repressive as hell.

And no woman could ever trust a man like that, that is sure sign something is very wrong with their wiring and thinking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join