It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting object I found on the picture of Mars...Looks like pottery?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Lol from this thread you made.... Seems like you came out of the deepest cracks in the woodwork lol

DaRAGE's woodwork

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

I started thinking of Gypsum roses, Barite roses, and other similar minerals, but, my geology is coming up rusty for anything further, and the bits you've circled don't really seem to have enough detail to make even all that good a guess.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Well you put up good effort and have helped beyond any other posters in this thread. I will try to get a better screan shot of it and see if we can go from there.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I guess the thought crosses my mind that, if there are artifacts on Mars, could they be mostly buried if they're there at all?

I'm not an archeologist though so to be honest I'd have no idea if the climate on Mars would bury objects of interest. I imagine it has to be a huge long time ago though. I hope we at least find single celled stuffs at some point.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

From the view we can see of the surface, it looks like the rocks laying around are mostly sitting on top but slightly covered with dust.

How would rocks just get scattered around without a force to put them there. Must be from impacts or volcanic activity that is no longer active. Some of the rocks are also smooth as if they have been worn down by water or a liquid flow.

A strange place Mars is. To many questions.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by fallow the light
reply to post by Pinke

From the view we can see of the surface, it looks like the rocks laying around are mostly sitting on top but slightly covered with dust.

How would rocks just get scattered around without a force to put them there. Must be from impacts or volcanic activity that is no longer active. Some of the rocks are also smooth as if they have been worn down by water or a liquid flow.

A strange place Mars is. To many questions.

Quick geology for those who want to understand things holistically

regolith

insitu

weathering

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

strange it looks like its been worn down in to that shape like on a river bed or something but then if it was a river bed there would be more like them ,and its not chert there too smooth for that the edges look rounded and flowing

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Thank you for that info friend.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seethetruth

Yeah a great bit of the rocks show signs of water flow.

But I guess that fine dust can do the same.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

reply to post by seethetruth

Yeah a great bit of the rocks show signs of water flow.

But I guess that fine dust can do the same.

Yes, but it could have also been made smooth by water.

One of the reasons NASA chose Gale Crater as the landing site is because they think it was once a very wet place a few billion years ago (perhaps even a lake). Orbital analysis shows clay materials in the crater, and clays are know to only form in standing water.

Also, there are what look to be alluvial fans on the edges of the crater. Alluvial fans are deposits of sedimentary material that NASA thinks could have been deposited by water flowing down from the highlands. There very well could be rocks near Curiosity that were worn smooth by this flowing water.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

i was thinking the same thing it could have been wind and sand that did it but then it would have been covered by it

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

reply to post by DaRAGE

Lol from this thread you made.... Seems like you came out of the deepest cracks in the woodwork lol

DaRAGE's woodwork

AHAHAH It's not too often I get to eat my own words. Bravo. Gave a star.

But honestly I still have been waiting for these threads to appear...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

i was thinking the same thing it could have been wind and sand that did it but then it would have been covered by it

Winds can cover, and winds can uncover.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It would be nice to see the INTERIOR
OP I dont know if pottery would maintain its structure on MARS for there the ground material is magnetic a bit 1 thinks. And If it did it may form in a different type of way if artificial in its design.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

They will keep coming. My fav is the Martian poo

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I don't know why they look for past life on Mars ? Life came from Venus to Earth, and will now slowly move to Mars

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ove38
I don't know why they look for past life on Mars ? Life came from Venus to Earth, and will now slowly move to Mars

Yeah -- I've heard this baseless theory before, but it makes no sense. There are signs that life has been on Earth for at least 3.8 Billion years, which is relatively soon after the formation of the solar system (including Venus).

If life jumped from Venus to Earth 3.8 Billion years ago, then what's Mars waiting for? Mars was a much more hospitable place 3+ billion years ago (wet and with a thicker atmosphere), so why didn't life jump to Mars then? If life didn't take hold back then, it seems to have missed a golden opportunity.

NASA is exploring Gale Crater because it seems like a place that could show us the geological record of a time on Mars when it was much like the early Earth.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join