It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting object I found on the picture of Mars...Looks like pottery?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well I was searching thru the Gigapan picture of mars when I stumbled upon this object. Seems a bit strange with the grooves on its lower side. Seems as if this formation is artificial but what do I know?

Also under that object is an other strangely formed rock that does not resemble any of the other surrounding rocks.
Check it out. The rocks in question are on the right side. Might have to scroll.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

Looks a little like Chert to me.

Chert - wiki

Varieties of chert
There are numerous varieties of chert, classified based on their visible, microscopic and physical characteristics. Some of the more common varieties are:

- Flint is a compact microcrystalline quartz. It is found in chalk or marly limestone formations and is formed by a replacement of calcium carbonate with silica. It is commonly found as nodules. This variety was often used in past times to make bladed tools.
- "Common chert" is a variety of chert which forms in limestone formations by replacement of calcium carbonate with silica. This is the most abundantly found variety of chert. It is generally considered to be less attractive for producing gem stones and bladed tools than flint.
- Jasper is a variety of chert formed as primary deposits, found in or in connection with magmatic formations which owes its red color to iron(III) inclusions. Jasper frequently also occurs in black, yellow or even green (depending on the type of iron it contains). Jasper is usually opaque to near opaque.
- Radiolarite is a variety of chert formed as primary deposits and containing radiolarian microfossils.
- Chalcedony is a microfibrous quartz.
- Agate is distinctly banded chalcedony with successive layers differing in color or value.
- Onyx is a banded agate with layers in parallel lines, often black and white.
- Opal is a hydrated silicon dioxide. It is often of a Neogenic origin. In fact is not a mineral (it is a mineraloid) and it is generally not considered a variety of chert, although some varieties of opal (opal-C and opal-CT) are microcrystaline and contain much less water (sometime none). Often people without petrological training confuse opal with chert due to similar visible and physical characteristics.
- Magadi-type chert is a variety that forms from a sodium silicate precursor in highly alkaline lakes such as Lake Magadi in Kenya.
- Porcelanite is a term used for fine-grained siliceous rocks with a texture and a fracture resembling those of unglazed porcelain.
- Siliceous sinter is porous, low-density, light-colored siliceous rock deposited by waters of hot springs and geysers.

Other lesser used terms for chert (most of them archaic) include firestone, silex, silica stone, chat, and flintstone.

checking other similar silicate possibilities ...

EDIT: NOT CHERT. Was looking at the wrong rock. Thought OP meant the largest rock ... until I scrolled picture to the right and then noticed the circled bits.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
rocks?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Do your thing my friend!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

Yes. They seem to be all over Mars very strange. Rocks on Mars.... Who would have thunk?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Actually the bigger rocks in your pic are interesting to me, look like they were worn by water.

I cannot get a good look at the ones you highlighted.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Did a quick scroll thru the chert photos on Google and didn't see anything too similar. The closest I saw was this:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Yeah I thought so too. Or maybe they are a type of rock that when struck, breaks in that formation. Does look very water worn though.

Sorry you can't see them very well.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Sorry.

They look like rocks to me.......

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Cool...you've found our dead Martian life form...posted in this thread earlier tonight.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's in the smaller red circle in your photo, lower right.

Des

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Lol I was thinking of a crumpled piece of metal from the rover or maybe an ancient carving...... But a dead alien? lol

I still think the grooved rock is cooler though

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's a pic of some Flint Chert:

Looks similar in some ways.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Not seeing how it is alike. I will post a closer up pic and draw out what I'm seeing.

The rock you posted is way to flat and has no grooves.

Good fast work though

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Arg. I see it now.
I neglected to scroll to the right on your picture and as a result did not see the two items you had circled.
I thought you were referring to the largest rock; the elongated stone with the vertically diagonal edge to it.

With that in mind you may see how I arrived at chert for an explanation.

What you have circled, I don't know what it is on immediate looky.
Bismuth?

Looking at Bismuth for possibilities ....

edit on 14-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This should be better.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Simple mistake but you see what I'm talking about now.

Seems artificial to you or just a trick of the light?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Sorry but all i see there is some rocks.good luck next time though

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I've been waiting for these posts to arrive!

OH look a Skull, pottery, artifact, unicorn head, alien! You watch... They'll all come out of the wood work and be sprouting this nonsense...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by indy0725

I could put a diamond in a pile of coal and you would say the same thing wouldn't you?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

And so will the trolls that visit these kinds of threads, with negativity in hand and a mouth full as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join