It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Burmese python discovered in Florida (+video)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

These snakes have nearly wiped out many animal species in the
southern part of florida.One did eat an alligator,but the hide of the gator
ripped the stomach open in the snake,killing it as well.
I started looking into these snakes after that thread about the kitten
being fed to one.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I hate snakes

Second verse same as the first

Third verse is the chorus.

I LOVE snakes!

They're very tasty if cooked right!

The key is to eat THEM before they eat YOU!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
From what the scientists have said, this is going to keep happening and getting worse. A very large hatchery was demolished during hurricane Andrew and it let thousands of these guys loose. Then you have the occasional pet owner letting his loose because it got too big to keep. They seem to really like it in Fla. I just hope they don't like NC winters.

At least they can help with the Nutria problem.

I live in NC, and last winter was pretty mild - I think they could survive it OK. There are gators down on the Blackwater, and as far inland as Gastonia, west of Charlotte. I think anywhere a gator can live, a python can too

A few years ago, I mentioned to my room mate that I wanted to get an anaconda. I was just kidding, trying to freak her out, but she didn't freak all that well. It was less than 3 days before she found one on Craig's List, right here.

I don't think I'll make THAT mistake again!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There is also the little known, but rampantly invasive wild hog problem taking place in North Tampa and Central Florida even now...

Science Daily

University of Florida Wild Hog Assessment

Huffington Post (Video)

Basically, if/when I go deer hunting, even in NW Florida, I bring along my AR-15 for protection incase I run into a pack of wild hogs (insert John Travolta joke/reference HERE)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Thank God I live in New England!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Dear Ice Cube & Jennifer Lopez,

Can you please take time out of your busy schedules to come down to Florida to take care of our python problem. In the movie Anaconda, we saw how well you wrangled those giant snakes. In return we will give you a free 2 day pass to Disney World.

Sincerely,

Jeb Bush

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
this is absolutely amazing. I would like to see a picture of this snake, but i could not find one. gracias para este.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The snake problem in FLorida is nowhere near as prolific as the grant-hungry fear-mongering scientists at UF claim that it is.

Yes, there are a few small pockets in the southern Everglades that harbor a few larger non-indigenous species but the cold definitely takes it's toll on them. And, no, they can not survive like alligators because their bodies are slimmer and can't hold heat like gators can, nor do they spend most of their time in the water, that in some places can still maintain considerable heat, even in the winter months.

I am very good friends with Robbie and Stephen Keszey, a.k.a. "The Swamp Brothers". They have also spent alot of time in the Glades, trying to verify the extent of the problem. They disagree with the scientists' claims, and I would rather believe someone who owns their own hatchery and makes a living catching and documenting these animals, than someone who lives in a lab, and goes out a few times a year, to known habitats and paints a morbid picture.

These animals can not take the more extreme winters that we have here in Florida. This most recent winter was quite mild though. Hence the "explosion" in the population.
The 17 ft. one in the pic is definitely an excapee or captive release. There is no way a Burmese would be that big and healthy if it was born and raised in the wild.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Maybe the boars, snakes, and gators will keep each other in check. Boars/pigs eat anything and everything. I imagine those snouts find gator and snake eggs by the thousands.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Odd... I know a herpetologist that spent time in the everglades figuring out if there was a problem.
And from his study he did find that the python are a problem.

I'm surprised people aren't going out to find pythons to sell for their meat.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I didn't say that they weren't a problem. What I said, is that they aren't the problem that the fear-mongers claim them to be...
Heck, the link in the OP said that large non-indigenous snakes in the glades are responsible for 99% of the small native wildlife disappearing over the last 10 years!

Really???

No, the berms are there. They just don't have the rampant population of 10ft+ potential "baby-eaters" like the stories try and lead you to believe!

And I'd be much more fearful of a 9' gator or American croc, than I would be of a 15' python, in their environment.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
SMH and I thought the GIANTS sat at bottoms of river basins and swamps in the murky dense thickness cavities or underground caves seldom needing to surface except for AIR ect. Interesting catch though I wonder what they did with the eggs?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

You're confusing pythons with anacondas...

Pythons are rather docile compared to other large herps...Here is one that was only 12' long. That's me with her.

edit on 8/14/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added photo

edit on 8/14/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If you are going to have a pet snake maybe a corn snake is the way to go, they just like snuggling up to boobies when they are little and don't try to swallow you whole when they are big. That's just a friendly suggestion of course to the reptile keepers of America.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I like snake's

BUT, no star and flag for you buddy

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oh man do I hate snakes. This reminds of a story haha.

I have a friend, let's just call him Bob. Well Bob loves snakes, and has at least five or six of them that he keeps as pets. Why? I do not know. Anyway, Bob used to let his python out and venture around the house from time to time, and Bob even let his python sleep in his bed with him. Why? Once again, I do not know. One day, Bob had a party at his house and he had his python locked in his bedroom. Towards the end of the night when Bob and everyone were heading to bed, something happened. Trying to word this is difficult, but someone managed to accidentally walk into Bob's room and saw him sleeping and the snake was next to him. The thing about the snake is that he was stretched out alongside Bob, the snakes head was near Bobs head and it's "tail" I guess was near Bobs feet.

The person that walked into the room noticed this, and not being a lunatic (lol), woke Bob up and told him there was a snake in his bed. Well, Bob wasn't necessarily shaken up and didn't seem to mind. Bob continued sleeping with his python for a few more days, until one day where he had to take the snake to get looked at for something or other. To Bob's ultimate surprise and dismay, the python was stretching itself out to MEASURE the length of Bob in order to eat him. The doctor told Bob that if he were to continue sleeping next to the snake for a few more days, the snake would be "ready" to devour him.

I have always hated snakes, and after Bob told me his story, I never want to own/see a snake in my life.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

that thing is huge! you are one brave soul

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I can see a brand new season of 'Python Hunters' similar to the 'Gator Boys' or 'Rattlesnake Republic'
All are based out of a single state..why not Florida
Keeps the hunting community busy and provides them with a livelihood
I say go for it as it can keep them earning for years to come and it might actually help wipe out the evasive species from the floridian ecology

Nevertheless, it could be devastating for the local ecology and species abound and could spread to neighboring states if not kept in check.
edit on 14-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

To be nice, I'll refrain from being too descriptive when I tell you that "Bob" is...a...How should I say this?
He's pulling your leg.

Large constrictors can sense heat signatures and carbon dioxide from potential prey. When I would feed my snakes they wouldn't snuggle and cuddle with the rats and rabbits before deciding whether to strike, suffocate and devour them.
It was most likely using Bob for warmth, to raise it's own core temperature.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Run away ! Lmao

Second verse not meant to be the first.
Third verse not to be confused with Uni-verse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join