It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 EQ just now in Russia, 5.1 on the US west coast

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Is an accurate reading really necessary for the depth of the mole people? I'm sure all quakes are measured on surface, or close to surface levels.
edit on 14-8-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Is an accurate reading really necessary for the depth of the mole people? I'm sure all quakes are measured on surface, or close to surface levels.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be condescending. My point is, at that depth it must have been more violent than what we felt at the surface. Wouldn't the depth and the magnitude be of significant importance to the study and preparedness of folks like us?

Mole people? I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here's a Fox News report with a pretty Anchor interviewing the *Professional * seismologist and asking if these small swarms are an indication of a bigger one yet to come. Listening to the answer I had That feeling of being put to sleep...lol

www.youtube.com...

Video'd interesting none- the - less.

* it's a great way for us to study EQ's.* (zzzzzzzzzz) lol

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Someone else click the link,I refuse to support the losers that are uploading vids to youtube that don't belong to them

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
My app with USGS feed shows 7. 7 in Russia
No tsunami warnings in effect

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Ooooooo I feel a my bad coming on....sorry. I think I know where your going w/ this.

Because this person Re-posted they're taking credit?

What should I do...? Can you auto. Find the original Up-loader w/ little re-search time on my end?

So here's another thing I gotta do so as not to step on the wrong toes even though I have noooo flipping idea I'm doing so. So don't watch it...I don't care. I'm not trying to do harm...just inform.
edit on 14-8-2012 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

How bout since you say it's fox news...link to a their source..and not youtube

Get me? You know,instead of trying to be cute and all

edit on 14-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

dont be so petty!!! the info is the same. if ya dont like youtube, go to fox or where ever else you like to watch it. What are you achieving ???

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fineousstitch

Nevermind.

I know when to shut up,don't want to get banned.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

To answer your question. It is not unusual for there to be earthquakes that deep. Take a look at this list of the last thirty days of quakes on IRIS.www.iris.edu...

You will see that there are many that happen deep within the earth. The deeper they are the less disruptive they are on the surface. Not much different than being on the surface. The farther away from the epicenter you are the less powerfull it will feel. That quake had hundreds of miles to travel to get to the surface.

I do wonder with quakes this deep and powerfull what exactly happened. Did a plate slip deep within, or is it the result of magma plumes bursting through the plate boundaries. As long as the quakes stay deep within that region they pose not much of a threat.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I agree with you. I'm aware quakes can hit as deep as 700km if I recall correctly. After doing a bit of research on my end, my question cannot be actually answered. Depending on the consistancy of the media between the earthquake and the surface, it is only an educated guess as to how big the magnitude actually is.

A 7.7 magnitude felt on the surface but happened 360 miles below the surface is incredible tho. Even if it isn't rare, it's incredible.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Can it even be felt?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be condescending. My point is, at that depth it must have been more violent than what we felt at the surface. Wouldn't the depth and the magnitude be of significant importance to the study and preparedness of folks like us?

Mole people? I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Didn't mean to come off disrespectful. It was intended as light hearted humor. Late night, sorry about that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

It registered as a 7.7 on the surface. If that's what your asking.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I think you're right Trace.

She is pretty !

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

This is it folks, the guy who posted a video about earthquake hitting california 9.0 could.come true, he even said god will give a warning.tsunami from or near japan and in two weeks after that cali will be hit with 9.0 . I suggest ppl should.take this warning seriously . This is very concerning california is experincing a lot earthquakes recently and if i live near the tremors i would pack my bag and move in land. Take care all

My recommendation would be that you do not take too much notice of people predicting Mag 9 earthquakes in California. Whilst I am not saying they cannot happen it is extremely unlikely. ~Mag 8 is about the max for California, with ~8.5 for Oregon extending down to Northern California if the southern end of Cascadia was to go and a ~Mag 9 if the whole Cascadia fault was to go.

California is not experiencing any more earthquakes than is normal, the only exception this year being a small blip during April/May. You can see on this chart that other than that, and of course Baja California in 2010, the last 2.5 or so years has been steady in terms of earthquake numbers.

You can see the same thing when looking at the energy release. All steady except the few larger quakes. No increase is discernible that could be considered out of the ordinary for the region.

The mag 7.7 was not unexpected either as there has been an ongoing swarm at shallower depths for the past month or so.

Next up - Vanuatu probably.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I agree with you. I'm aware quakes can hit as deep as 700km if I recall correctly. After doing a bit of research on my end, my question cannot be actually answered. Depending on the consistancy of the media between the earthquake and the surface, it is only an educated guess as to how big the magnitude actually is.

A 7.7 magnitude felt on the surface but happened 360 miles below the surface is incredible tho. Even if it isn't rare, it's incredible.

The magnitude was 7.7. It makes no difference whether it was 1 km deep or 700 km deep the magnitude is the same.

The difference is in the intensity measured on the Mercalli scale. At 1 km there would be complete devastation, at 700 km probably not really noticed much.at @ Merrcalli IV (light shaking) it really was a non-event.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Really, how in the world could they make a mistake like that?

The problem here is that 'they' is a computer system and computers are incredibly dense and have no understanding of anything which is why a seismologist always reviews the results.

False positives are frequent when there are large earthquakes. There are numerous technical reasons as to why this can happen which the computer is too dim to understand and needs human input. Fortunately we do still have a place in this world even if it is only to correct computer mistakes in things, many of which are of course cause by humans like me
(programmers)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

One very good reason why Golbal Incident is of no use

It fails to make timely updates.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
reply to post by ReadyPower

Not sure, but the 7 mags were pretty deep. I think the more shallow they are the more severe if I remember correctly

While you may not really feel the deep ones that much, the fact they are that deep is indicative of a much larger problem. The deeper you go, the more it effects the base of the plates where they connect. Its actually a bad omen of sorts.

Expect the next big romp of a 6.5 or higher to be much more shallow.....probably along the same region where the pressure evens out either on that side of the plate, or the exact opposite side of the plate diagonal down as the plates are pushing from east to west.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join