It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. drought sparks calls for emergency meeting on soaring food prices

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I'm in the rural South, a lot of cattle farmers here. What my neighbors in the beef industry are telling me, is to stock up on beef now, and in the next 6 months. That many cattle people are selling off their stock, at rock bottom prices, due to soaring feed costs. The beef market will be flooded with below par stock. So, prices will drop for a short time.

I can't eat beef, my cholesterol has been high all my life. I have to avoid meat in general, but thanks for the pointers.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I threw the info out for the whole thread.....soaring food prices, unfortunately, will be a way of life for some years. Not, just until next year's crops come in...

People should take notice, and start to plan accordingly. Corn, or a byproduct of corn, is used in most of the commercial food we buy. Scary...huh...

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by binkman

Beg pardon? It is true we are mighty and powerful, still, controlling the weather is not something we have got up to. Your comment seems a bit harsh.

Very harsh. This is a problem your failed farming industry has caused, it's up to you to fix it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Brown rice and beans, all I'm saying. Legumes provide just as much protein and are a hell of a lot cheaper to eat. You get all the health benefits of meat without the price tag.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I had a feeling that the US drought would have some serious backlashes. For now, at least, it appears that international leadership is keeping a cool head about things. Yet, I do not doubt for a second that the situation is a bit more serious than what is being told to the public. This is one of the many reasons I keep several large bags of radiation free organically grown rice on hand. I started doing that after the whole mess with Fukushima started here in Japan. My wife and I have talked a lot about maintaining our food supply given everything that is happening in our world today.

The food supply for Japan, or any nation for that matter, is on shaky ground these days. The demand for safe food is growing an a fast rate due to many factors. Nations like China and India have an increased demand for domestic food consumption. In the past China and India were major exporters of food to Japan and the US. Over the past several years both China and India have cut back their food exports due to increased demand on their home fronts.

I hope the US took the time to install backup plans in the event of mass crop failure. Corn is the staple food for the US. The US uses boat loads of corn every year. They depend on yearly high corn crop yields in order to maintain their food supply; as well as many commercial non-food products. It appears that the US will not get that high corn crop yield this year. They better hope that their many trade partners can help them out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join