It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entitlement Programs, what you should expect.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

There you go with another meme: "Bleeding Heart Liberal"

What about the handicapped, the disabled, the wounded veteran??

Those are the lesser of us all. Should we fund the ginormous war machine, or should we take care of our own.

They say you can judge a society by how it treats it's animals.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The entitlement programs are there for a reason. You do not get rid of them, what you do is MANAGE them, which is not being done. The money and services should only go to those that need them, without loopholes and tricks that let unscrupulous people take advantage of them.

You HIRE a specific number of people to manage this system correctly. Then, it is a win-win because you have kept these needed services by reducing costs that were being funneled off of them by the crooks, and with the saved money, you stimulate the economy by providing some needed jobs

Why is it that these supposed smart people that we have holding office, can not figure that out?.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Exactly...

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

It is kind of like our legal system, it has serious flaws, but it is they system we live with.

There will always be people that take advantage of public assistance. But, we have to have the system in order to be a civilized society.

There will always be people that cheat on their taxes, but it is the system we have.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I think the federal government is too busy staffing Homeland Security, and funding domestic intelligence operations, to be concerned with that.

Right now, they do not want a hungry population while they try to conquer the world.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are absolutely spot on. The biggest problem in this country is the number of people on handouts and the ease in which this society provides and consistently seeks to enhance those handouts.

The only way to solve this problem is to institute a poll tax. If you are not paying taxes, you should not be able to vote unless you are in a very few categories of people, e.g. retired, disabled, etc.

I'm not talking about payroll taxes. If you don't pay federal income tax, you should not be able to vote in a federal election. The entire motivation of the welfare voter is to vote to put in office the candidate who will give him more of someone elses money.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

The only way to solve this problem is to institute a poll tax. If you are not paying taxes, you should not be able to vote unless you are in a very few categories of people, e.g. retired, disabled, etc.

Heck, why stop there?

Lets put them together , and build walls around them, maybe make them wear something like Yellow Stars , so we know who they are!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

And while your at it...

I think we should have an IQ test before anyone votes. No one below 120 gets to vote because they are just too stupid to understand the issues at stake.

But the real deal is: voters really need to take a test on this country's "Constitution", and "Bill of Rights", before they are ever allowed into a voting booth.

And that includes you!

Next...

edit on 14-8-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

My direct problem with this is that it is a slippery slope. Initiate a poll tax and, over time, the rate of that tax can be raised, bit by bit, until our great grand kids are saying "Well, we can either buy that car we've been needing, or we can vote...."

Money does NOT equal human dignity, intellect, value, worth, or Rights.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Your logic only holds if taxes continue to go up. Obviously the higher the tax rates, the larger the population will be who pays no tax. The results of a poll tax would be either that folks would get off their asses and get a job so they could vote or that taxes would go down and as a result of that more people would pay taxes.

I'd love to meet or see a video of anyone on welfare talking about how they are excited to vote for the folks who wants to put tougher restrictions or cut welfare.

Now why is that? I love to see things I never thought were possible

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I have no qualms at all arguing abuse of Welfare ( TANF ) and any number of other government programs. I just spent four years of my life living in a very poor neighborhood - due to financial woes - and most of my neighbors were the type who knew every trick for squeezing every free dollar out of the system.

But to add a tax just to vote, IMO, simply creates just one more way to eventually silence the working poor and the middle class. - especially, as mentioned above, the disabled and elderly who have to make it by on anywhere from seven hundred two thousand per month. People who worked hard or who never had a chance to work hard even if they wanted to. They deserve a voice to protect their own interests as well. No?

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Seriously?? Slippery slope?? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you read your own Constitution. You want to start categorizing people, and deciding who can and cannot vote. Not that it is not a moot point because our election system has been hijacked by Diebold and the like. So we really don't get our votes counted by I digress...

Where does all the hatred come from?? Come on, we live in a society that funds roads, infrastructure, and supposedly (lol) representative government. We all do this together. I might pay a little more than you because I am in a higher tax bracket. But it is cool. My kids are no longer in school either, but that is alright. I am paying for the neighborhood kids to be educated. I am down with that. We have a homeless population in our city. They are homeless for a variety of reasons; mental health, disability, down on their luck, etc...

I don't mind paying taxes to make sure there is a soup kitchen, or blankets in the winter, or groceries in the homes of school aged children. It is what we should do.

But all you haters are conditioned by the MSM and hate radio, and gawd knows what other poison that fills your head. You know why?? Get this suckers, they want the money for their pet projects, or for their Ospreys. So you know what they do. They constantly bombard you with propaganda about how these "ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS" are the root of all the evil.

It is divide and conquer! It has been used since the ancient times. We should not be at each other's throats. We should be banding together against our common enemy. But that will never happen. Because there are a lot of people that are really brainwashed after years of this crap, and FOX, and CNN.

They have been playing us like suckers. They laugh all the way to the bank. You are pissed at the wrong people

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I think it's possible you may have replied to the wrong poster... I am defending the right for everybody to vote.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I do agree with everything you've put forth in this post. A poll tax would be devastating to the elderly on fixed incomes. There is nothing in our Constitution that would back such a measure. Stream lining the entitlement programs, and the redundant agencies that oversee them, is the first line of attack.

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Sorry Heff.

I went a little crazy!

I am new around here, well not really, but to posting I am.

This is a subject I am most passionate about.

Please accept my apology.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

No worries at all! We've all pushed the wrong key here before - multiple times!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

You ignoramus!! Do you know how many people that live in parts of this country that cannot find a job?? They are 99ed out. They don't even count in the unemployment numbers they kink and then spew out every month. They may be getting 200$ a month in food stamps. Is it OK if they have something to eat with you?? We want to make sure you are OK with that. Then we have the underemployed, the ones that have college degrees but are working in retail somewhere. The ones that make 8$ an hour and pay their babysitter 4$ an hour.

We have a problem in this country. The middle class has been wiped out. It has been a 20 year progression of free trade, off shore bank accounts ,and the transfer of wealth off of this continent.

This crap just didn't happen overnight. It really kicked into high gear during the Reagan/Bush administration. It has been a slow methodical erosion of our once robust manufacturing sector.

But, everyone is seriously in a trance. I have seen people admiring George W recently. It is a testament to the absolute control the MSM has on the population. I just saw them 2 days ago trot out Karl Rove.... Are you frikken kidding me. The worst slime ball ever and he is being touted as some sort of political genius. The one that had to make an appearance 5 times in front of a Grand Jury to try to save his butt from a perjury indictment, but gave up his good pal Scooter?? This is just bread and circuses....Really.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail

You ignoramus!! Do you know how many people that live in parts of this country that cannot find a job?? They are 99ed out. They don't even count in the unemployment numbers they kink and then spew out every month. They may be getting 200$ a month in food stamps. Is it OK if they have something to eat with you?? We want to make sure you are OK with that. Then we have the underemployed, the ones that have college degrees but are working in retail somewhere. The ones that make 8$ an hour and pay their babysitter 4$ an hour.

We have a problem in this country. The middle class has been wiped out. It has been a 20 year progression of free trade, off shore bank accounts ,and the transfer of wealth off of this continent.

This crap just didn't happen overnight. It really kicked into high gear during the Reagan/Bush administration. It has been a slow methodical erosion of our once robust manufacturing sector.

But, everyone is seriously in a trance. I have seen people admiring George W recently. It is a testament to the absolute control the MSM has on the population. I just saw them 2 days ago trot out Karl Rove.... Are you frikken kidding me. The worst slime ball ever and he is being touted as some sort of political genius. The one that had to make an appearance 5 times in front of a Grand Jury to try to save his butt from a perjury indictment, but gave up his good pal Scooter?? This is just bread and circuses....Really.

First off, name calling is never a good way to start making your point....

You also say

It has been a 20 year progression of free trade, off shore bank accounts ,and the transfer of wealth off of this continent.

The reason money moves out of the country is that we penalize people who keep their money here in the first place. Stop making it advantageous for people to move their money offshore, and people will stop doing it in a heart beat. Create incentives to re-invest the money here and people will start doing that too.

edit on 14-8-2012 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well said.
I agree completely. I'm tired of the Rightwing talking heads
scaring everyone about us becoming "commie" because we will
be able to see and even afford a Dr.

I think the opening ceremonies at the Olympics were very telling.
To have a section where the NHS (national healthcare system) is
celebrated and thanked led me to believe they didn't feel too oppressed.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Poll tax? lol
IQ test? lol

How about we start with just showing any form of picture ID to vote. But no, we can't even get to that stage.

America elected Obama and now they are paying the consequences with 100 million people on the govt dole and constant unemployment at 8%+. If a majority of Americans vote (I hope legally but that's doubtful) to keep the govt sugar daddy in office then they'll get what they deserve and it won't be economic improvement.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join