It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters target NBC military 'reality' show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well I'm not sure that there's a need to protest a reality show such as this, but maybe at least protesters can get heard, without getting HURT, which is usually what happens when they take on the establishment.

NEW YORK — About 100 protesters in New York gathered to speak out against a new NBC television reality show that will pair celebrities and service members for quasi-military exercises.

The show, called "Stars Earn Stripes," is hosted by retired general Wesley Clark and co-stars Republican ex-governor Sarah Palin's husband Todd, actor Dean Cain, boxer Laila Ali and former US Olympic champion skier Picabo Street.

NBC says it's "an action-packed competition show that pays homage to the men and women who serve in the US Armed Forces and our first-responder services."

Protesters said it was in bad taste when US troops are in conflicts in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

"Having my son return from two REAL wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with the cost of war carried in his body and heart, I find this deeply offensive," said Sarah Fuhro, a member of Military Families Speak Out.

"Having met wounded children and refugees from these and other wars, I find this disgusting. I hope NBC will reconsider this form of entertainment."

Seven Nobel Prize winners, including South Africa's Desmond Tutu, have also signed a letter asking NBC to yank the show.

Joan Wile, founder of Grandmothers Against the War, called NBC's plan "an abomination" and a "reality show glamorizing war while our young people die in real wars."

If you are going to protest a show like this for 'glamorizing' war, then surely they need to take on the film industry that churn out 'glorifying' war movies, on a regular basis.

It's probably more the fact that SARAH PALIN's hubbie Todd is involved, that has them riled up

AFP

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
For the sake of being on topic, this seems to be a reasonable way of doing things, at least in our wild country. Somebody is doing something you don't like, you ask them to stop, they quit or continue, then you can boycott. It all seems pretty standard to me. Not that I care about one more reality show.

and former US Olympic champion skier Picabo Street.
Now this interested me. Did you know that she had made a large gift to a hospital? In thanks, they named a wing after her. It's called the Picabo ICU. (Sometimes, I just crack myself up.)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Talk about glorifying war, see the movie Act of Valor. That is the most powerful propoganda movie i've ever seen.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that none of the "stars" would be willing to die for the betterment of their country and not a single one of them will go home with PTSD, in which they have to drown their memories with alcohol and painkillers!

There is nothing "real" about it. This is just another way to make the people of America trivialize war to the point that they are numb.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The only thing real about that show are the military folks working with the "celebrities".

What a stupid premise for a show. And NBC wonders why they're last among the four network stations.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You know what you're living in a fascist nation when worship of the armed forces is at an all-time high.

If people care so damn much about their troops, then why not demand that they return home?

top topics

join