It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explanation For My Cell Phone Calling Our Home Telephone Number On Its Own ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
All opinions and comments welcome but for obvious reasons I would feel more comfortable with a rational explanation so can any of our more technically minded ATS members offer a solid logical explanation for the following set of events that have left my wife and I completely bemused ?

I was sitting in the living room with my partner watching the comedy channel when our home telephone started ringing. It was quite late and we don't normally get calls after 11pm so we both checked the caller display at the same time to see if we recognised the number before deciding if we should take the call.

As our house phone ( situated in the living room ) continued to ring we were both surprised to see it was my very own personal cell phone number that appeared on the caller display!

Understandably , my wife started to have a go at me as she assumed I must have lost my phone and perhaps this was someone calling to let me know they had found it as the cell phone had my home phone number listed in its directory.

However , I quickly realised that I hadn't in fact lost my phone at all and remembered that I had left it in the kitchen. Sure enough , we both walked into the kitchen together and there was my cell phone sitting on a worktop , on its side and still ringing our home number as we stared in amazement!

My wife then answered the home telephone to stop it ringing while I checked the last number dialed on my cell phone. The caller display confirmed that the last number dialed was indeed our home number, just moments earlier.

I should point out that the doors were locked and there was no one else in the house when this event occurred and this was the one and only time this has happened.

Thanks in advance guys.

PS. Has anyone else on ATS had a similar experience involving a cell phone?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

it got moisture in the phone, happend to me the other day

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me a long time ago when I had a flip phone, my only guess back then was water damage. Water can make electronics act very weird.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Recently a string of incidents involving cell phones that the owners had intentionally changed the OS to that of an open source OS

Symptoms

Freezing of the screen
Calling numbers that were placed in first order from 1-10
Screen moves as if someone is actually using their finger ( I have seen this )
SMS function is called up and begins to type irrational words with numbers ( im still looking into that )
Powering off when the phone has just under half power indicator and then powering on, on its own at early hours of the morning.

All these are prime candidates that the phone has been infected with a virus/trojan

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

Seems plausible Doc but the worktop and the phone were both completely dry as far as I could tell and also why would it dial my home number in preference to one of the hundred or so other numbers listed in its directory?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMiyagi

Seems plausible Doc but the worktop and the phone were both completely dry as far as I could tell and also why would it dial my home number in preference to one of the hundred or so other numbers listed in its directory?

When waste last time you dialed your home number poor to this happening?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Originally posted by MisterMiyagi

When waste last time you dialed your home number poor to this happening?

I only called home around mid-morning once that day from work using my cell phone but made a half dozen business calls afterwards.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Happened to me a few years ago,turned out I had the call forwarding set up on my cell. Once in a while it'd randomly dial my house number.May not be what's happening with you,but after I turned it off it stopped callin the house line all together.Just an idea.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

ur phone can appear dry but the moisture inside does the dialing, when my phone got wet it would dial, itself people high on the list and low, dont read anything in to it its moistur or a phone ment break so u will have to buy anew one

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This would have been a much more interesting story if your wife had answered and there had been someone on the other end--and they were calling from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

No, wait--that's already been done. Well, B+ overall. Try again with a grabber at the end and you'll have something....

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

ur phone can appear dry but the moisture inside does the dialing, when my phone got wet it would dial, itself people high on the list and low, dont read anything in to it its moistur or a phone ment break so u will have to buy anew one

You seem pretty sure that it was down to moisture which is fair enough but I have had the phone for years. Why has it never happened before or since and why is the phone working absolutely fine now?

To conclude. I'm still unconvinced it was down to moisture although I do accept that this is a possible if not probable explanation. Thanks for your input.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My sister had something similar happen just a few weeks ago. I came home from work and my home phone had 12 or 13 calls listed from her cell phone. I called her to ask what was wrong, She said she never called me. When she checked, her phone had those calls listed and three to her credit union.

To make a long story short, she took her phone to the store she bought it from and they determined it was a bad sim card that caused it. Her phone was pretty old and beat, so she bought a replacement.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

once moisture evaperates from a phone it will work as before, i have been through this more than once as well, i have more than once put my phone in a bag of dry rice to extract moisture, once a phone is dry it will work normal, as opposed to a single drop of which will cause anomilies,

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
My sister had something similar happen just a few weeks ago. I came home from work and my home phone had 12 or 13 calls listed from her cell phone. I called her to ask what was wrong, She said she never called me. When she checked, her phone had those calls listed and three to her credit union.

To make a long story short, she took her phone to the store she bought it from and they determined it was a bad sim card that caused it. Her phone was pretty old and beat, so she bought a replacement.

Between the water vapour theory and this post I think we can officially place my story in the " mystery solved " section of ATS. Phewww! lol

Case closed. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.

top topics

join