Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

HIDING! Seeking Experienced Military on where to hide in town?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
When hiding in a city setting what currently known technologies can see through walls, etc?

If someone hides in a closet does your thermal imaging equipment, your scope, etc see them (or a red silouette for example)?

Please share your stories of good places to hide! And also, about military equipment.

Would digging a hole under your house work, or maybe in the backyard under a bush?
Does hiding on your roof work, or in your attic?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
dig under the patio concrete, I did for a storm shelter, then put a cedar wood looking flower box for the cover

no where in the structure will work, and it's all shortest term

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The last place you want to be in a SHTF scenario is a city - food stores will run out at roughly the 3 day mark, and the populace will then be looking for food and water, and heaven help anyone who gets in their way.

If you are trying to hide, you will need to have sufficient food and water stores, which is hard to conceal in a cityscape.

If you are truly concerned, you need to formulate a bug out plan to a remote location, which you have prepared before hand. Look into C&C (Camo and concealment), security, and enough food and water supplies to keep you alive for 12+ months.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Line your closet with mylar blankets. I do believe that would prevent thermal imaging from spotting you....

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Are you Sarah Connor?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Are you Sarah Connor?

are you in the wrong forum?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm not really sure why American troops are sent through cities in various countries we bomb, but I can't imagine what might go on behind the scenes. A co-worker of mine who re-enlists often "likes knives a little too much" and generally can't wait to get shipped back over. I could imagine him coming into my house

In going from house to house "looking for bad guys" how long does it take? Does just anyone get killed or do you usually have intel and a names list? If a person's name IS on that list is it ransack the house and neighbors til you find him or her?
Would hiding help (or only running)?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
The last place you want to be in a SHTF scenario is a city - food stores will run out at roughly the 3 day mark, and the populace will then be looking for food and water, and heaven help anyone who gets in their way.

If you are trying to hide, you will need to have sufficient food and water stores, which is hard to conceal in a cityscape.

If you are truly concerned, you need to formulate a bug out plan to a remote location, which you have prepared before hand. Look into C&C (Camo and concealment), security, and enough food and water supplies to keep you alive for 12+ months.

I agree you will want to get out of any urban environment. The problem is deciding when. I suggest bugging in for as long as you can. Hopefully most of the crazy people will use up all their ammo or most of it. Another key.. Conserve your ammo as much as possible. Inside. Try to avoid exterior walls. Thermal blankets will help hide a heat signature. Move at night. Find a bushy area to hide and sleep in during the day. But like above you need to have a remote location planned out in advance. You need to know where you are going to go. If you just head out without knowing where you are intending to go you will not get very far. Plan a few different escape routes. Either leave before the stuff hits the fan. Or sit and wait for things to calm down a bit before heading out. Don't worry too much about government soldiers finding you. If you lie low (especially in an urban area) they will be too busy dealing with looters, thugs and other low lives to worry much about you. If they do end up going door to door rounding up people it will not be long before there is a real revolt and they will have so much on their hands you will be pretty insignificant. Hopefully your house will not be the first one they check. That would pretty much be the worst case scenario.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Ok, because I am actually wondering why Thermo started this topic...I'll chime in.
These are just ideas, not actual facts. I can't give you anything but my opinion.
For reasons I can't exactly relay on the 'net.

Thermo devices don't work like what you see on movies.
They work well with stick frame homes, and light walled buildings.
But not concrete/block or main brick buildings.
(2ft thick or more is hard to penetrate)
Usually older buildings are safer.
Newer buildings are built very cheaply and have extremely thin walls.
Steel frame buildings (newer) are not the safest either.
Heat signatures are always found through windows, and drywall.
Stay low.

In cities that are relatively old...
Look for old nuclear fallout shelter signs.
Those old bunkers were built into older buildings with enough concrete to stop any "spying"...
Look for basements and older vaults which may be below ground.
Anything hidden under foundations, or within concrete walls.
Of course block and stone foundations are best.

Now, for smaller structures and homes, look for older buildings here too.
You are keeping an eye out for any homes that would've had a coal cellar.
These walls were thick and usually came with a loading door...easy access.

As far as making a nice, spy-proof shelter...
You better off finding a cave, or digging a root cellar.
Building a "bomb-shelter" is not the cheapest route, but root cellars are.
Plus you only need to have about 2 feet of dirt or concrete/block to block most devices.
Anything underground will suffice as most thermo devices can't penetrate substrate, either.
Lakes and creeks, streams and rivers work too, although weather permitting.
Mostly worry about getting below ground.

Look at where the gov't hides.
That's where you"ll get the best ideas.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

I have to agree with Excammando on this one, people in citys are going to be going bats#$%& crazy in shtf scenario. Team up with friends or family in outlying areas and prep youself and your fellow compadres with enough stores to last a good while. Be ready with bob's and get the hell outa dodge.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

Leaving before it hits is the best option but (despite all the predictions on here) there really is no way to accurately predict it. If you are stuck just remember an urban area has much more police swat, etc... If it really gets bad the police and real bad guys will end up wasting a lot of their ammo on each other. if you can lie low long enough they will probably decimate each other and you can slip through the wasteland to greener pastures.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have two main interests in this:
1) I have a four year old daughter so bugging out will be harder than otherwise,
2) my wife flat out denies, no matter what happens, that anything bad will ever happen in America. Getting her to bug out will not happen until the internet goes down, the TVs shut off, and she starts hearing gunfire

... I suppose it could be a spur of the moment "camping trip" though!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Thermals are actually pretty easy to defeat, if that is your worry,hold a trash bag in front of yourself. If you lean against a wall it will leave a mark where the wall is warmer than the ambient air around, showing a heat signature( this is of course case sensitive, thickness, insulation, type of material the wall is made from..etc.)

Most hiding spots are easy to find, as a man needs an exit a man can fit in and out of, so camo is very important for your "door"

Also the nature of the threat your hiding from needs to be addressed. As if it is a man hunt situation the dogs will sniff you out easily. The best defense for dogs tracking you is chemicals that damage the alfactory organs, as this will make them nothing more than bark machines.

In the short term, a quick effective, short term solution is a very good shower, followed by immediatly dressing in somone elses dirty clothing, and highly used shoes. This won't last more than an hour or 2 before your scent soaks back through leaving a good active trail again.(this is case sensitive, as sweating will make the time much shorter.)

If you only have to avoid detection by people for short term security before you move, never hide in your home, they will dismantle it if they find any irregularities in construction. Making false walls etc.. useless.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

wrong mate, this is super, duper extra secret!

The first rule of Hide Club is you do not talk about Hide Club.
The second rule of Hide Club is you DO NOT talk about Hide Club!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You guys are forgetting the obvious, the stormdrain/sewer system.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I didn't mention those for a reason, everyone will think of that also( out of the box is the best kind of thinking) and the people looking for you will also. Than your trapped in a concrete tube leading into the ground terminating possibly in smaller pipes than you can not traverse.

Also most don't realize this, but sewers and storm drains often contain less than enough breathable oxygen than one needs to live, doe nobody any good to hide and die of oxygen depletion. Be very leary of these places unless you have an o2 detector, or have no other choice.
edit on 13-8-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

The underground Stormdrain/sewer systems are cities in their own right, by their nature they are secretive and extremely difficult to effectively deny access to.

Look at any protracted modern urban conflict, the sewers have played a significant tactical role in any defence/resistance.

The only way you are going to travel and remain hidden in an urban environment is through them.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Anything that can not be seen with thermal or other aids will recieve extra attention.

The deal is, when you cover your own tracks you also cover the tracks of what is suppose to be there. A common mistake by arm-chair warriors.

Listen to excommando he has it right.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If you are really concerned about a hit on your house. DO NOT BE IN YOUR HOUSE!

If a raid were to be conducted on your house and you are there, you WILL be found.

Yeah they might use thermals and long range microphones to determine if you are there or not. But they will hit your house anyway after a day or two, for the purpose of gathering intel on your whereabouts.

Best way to not get caught is to be somewhere else.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join