It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA creating Transhuman US Soldiers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I remember reading a thread last year by ModernAcademia about DARPA and its work with gene altering chemicals and he/she speculated that this was an attempt at transhumanism. Well, it appears ModernAcademia was exactly right.

A little background:

With a budget of almost $2billion a year DARPA, established in 1958 after the USSR's first successful space mission shocked America, has a goal of maintaining U.S. technological dominance on the battlefield.

Among it's many ambitious projects, the agency is working on an exoskeleton that will allow soldiers to run faster and lift prodigious weights. But its most controversial work involves genetic modification.

It seems they are hell bent on creating and army of transhuman soldiers capable of extraordinary feats of physical strength and endurance. I wonder if people will voluntarily submit to this transformation or if they will simply be forced?

DARPA is working on triggering genes that will make soldiers' bodies able to convert fat into energy more efficiently so they are able to go days without eating while in the warzone.

Tomorrow's soldiers could be able to run at Olympic speeds and will be able to go for days without food or sleep, if new research into gene manipulation is successful.

According to the U.S. Army's plans for the future, their soldiers will be able to carry huge weights, live off their fat stores for extended periods and even regrow limbs blown apart by bombs.

The plans were revealed by novelist Simon Conway, who was granted behind-the-scenes access to the Pentagon's high-tech Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with this type of gene manipulation.

Am I the only one who sees the possibility for this to go terribly wrong??

edit on 13-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Didn't we have the Wrath of Khan or something like that?

I am pretty sure I have seen and read many stories about stuff like this blowing up in our faces.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I've heard of these things before, especially the sleep aspect .. I wasn't aware any of this was a secret? .. they've been looking at this for quite some time.. I've seen the sleep stuff talked about in the mainstream media a few years ago.. Though it wasn't genetic, it was a type of medication/supplement that wasn't a stimulant and removed or greatly reduced the need for sleep so soldiers and pilots could go days without sleep at a time.

Converting fat into energy more efficiently would do us ALL good since we as humans tend to metabolize fat least efficient than all of the calories, and store it the longest.. it would be a great energy source.

I think it's kind of cool myself.. and like I said, this research has been in the open..I think the next evolution of man kind will be the result of our own work and less the result of nature.. it's either going to be great, or destructive.. time will tell.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think a large part of the issue when it comes to DARPA specifically is the way they operate and how they pursue the research they do.

I don't have links because they were print articles, but I've read in both Popular Mechanics and Pop-Sci over the years that DARPA people pursue some ideas they got the inspiration from in Sci-Fi movies. A kind of 'I wonder if that can really be done'...and off they go, as I recall the stories reading for some it of.

I.E... I wonder which came first on stories like this when DARPA is the place it's happening at. The movies that depict it or the research that is running the same path? This makes me think of the scenes of the loading bays on the orbital ship in 'Aliens' more than anything. Human forklifts, able to move tons. That could be interesting.

*Or the Tin man armor depicted in the series of Dale Brown books.

edit on 13-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Converting fat into energy more efficiently would do us ALL good since we as humans tend to metabolize fat least efficient than all of the calories, and store it the longest.. it would be a great energy source.

Our bodies do this naturally. I’m a little concerned about the gene manipulation part though. I remember getting 100 shots before deploying and I still have no idea what they put in me. I have a feeling this isn’t going to be an optional thing either. Besides, the long term side effects are unknown and could be deadly. Look at 'gulf war syndrome' and the effects of agent orange; they don’t care if it effects us negatively; we're disposable.

I think it's kind of cool myself.. and like I said, this research has been in the open..I think the next evolution of man kind will be the result of our own work and less the result of nature.. it's either going to be great, or destructive.. time will tell.

Though it would be fun to run through the desert loaded with gear at the speed of an Olympic runner or be able to throw iron around like a power-lifter I can’t help but assume there will be some serious long term negative side effects.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Will intelligence get a boost also?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I can see this being totally possible. With devils like Dick Cheney out there with his robotic heart, marathon runners who loose there legs have mechanical legs. The idea is out there and humans have regenative capabilities to some degree. The soldier would need good armor plating in the chest, head, and back area. It's just a matter of getting test subjects,money, and time.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

Will intelligence get a boost also?

Nice try! We already have an unfair advantage in that category.

Look at our typical enemy.

Is that an modern armored camel??

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PunchingBag80

The soldier would need good armor plating in the chest, head, and back area. It's just a matter of getting test subjects,money, and time.

DARPA has been around since 58’, they have plenty of money (probably much more than we’re led to believe), and the subjects…..well…..there are a couple million active military members who won’t have much choice.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Heres my question. WHo is going to have this genetic mutation. Is it like a shot they give the troops in boot camp and it mutates their genes. Does this have to happen in vitro. and if it does, then who "owns" the mutated child soldiers. Are they govt. property. do they have human rights?

Also if they start injecting mutating genes into troops what happens when they get released back into the civilian population with PTSD. unstoppable humans on the rampage?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Heres my question. WHo is going to have this genetic mutation.

US troops…probably infantry and other forward deployed units.

Is it like a shot they give the troops in boot camp and it mutates their genes. Does this have to happen in vitro. and if it does, then who "owns" the mutated child soldiers. Are they govt. property. do they have human rights?

It will likely be a shot or some type of treatment that can begin on anybody immediately. They don’t have time to wait 18 years for the transhuman infantry to grow up.

Also if they start injecting mutating genes into troops what happens when they get released back into the civilian population with PTSD. unstoppable humans on the rampage?

This is exactly the part that bothers me. Will this be an opt in/out program? What happens when these transhumans get out with all of these capabilities? Do we get to look forward to spree killings (like Colorado or Texas today) on a MASSIVE scale? Also, what are the long term effects to the soldier? If this something that will knock 10-20 years off their life if taken?

There are a lot of unknowns here…

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't have links because they were print articles, but I've read in both Popular Mechanics and Pop-Sci over the years that DARPA people pursue some ideas they got the inspiration from in Sci-Fi movies. A kind of 'I wonder if that can really be done'...and off they go, as I recall the stories reading for some it of.

I’ve seen a lot of info about the technology of the future and we’ve all seen the drone and stealth technology progress over recent years. I’m all for America remaining on the forefront of technology and maintaining an advantage, especially on the battlefield. Most of the stuff I’ve seen is like this:

Exoskeleton’s, fancy weapons, HUD, advanced comm gear, etc; it’s all GREAT. When they start modifying human beings I think they’ve really crossed the line.

Most people these days have little faith or trust in the federal government and TPTB (myself included) so do we really want them genetically modifying humans and turning them into super killers??

I don’t!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Their ideal soldier is basically an ultra-marine from warhammer...

America is so incredibly twisted.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing... but I want geneseed. I'll do it! I will do it!

Originally posted by Derpitude
Their ideal soldier is basically an ultra-marine from warhammer...

America is so incredibly twisted.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I get the impression that some people think DARPA consists of vast laboratories in buildings without windows where secret experiments are conducted to the detriment of us all.

DARPA doesn't actually "do" anything at all. It consists of a bunch of people with internet access (which they funded originally) who write up RFPs all day long (Request for Proposals). They solicit proposals and also make up stuff on their own, kind of like throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Companies bid on their RFPs. Deliverables may include actual prototypes of a promising design, or be more like a fancy term paper that has studied a subject, like a Think Tank project. Some of the stuff, like the Internet, works. Some of it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

how can anyone be so stupid to sign up
with the long history of using soldiers [and the gen. pop.]
for experiments

this is what your super soldiers will look like
and there will be no intelligence upgrade

its all about building a better killer one that follows orders and asks no questions

the software/programming is long tried and tested

its all hardware upgrades from here on in

taken from
Global Frequency #02
copyright warren ellis and DC Comics
the moral authority of the author and publisher has been affirmed
edit on 13-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I get the impression that some people think DARPA consists of vast laboratories in buildings without windows where secret experiments are conducted to the detriment of us all.

With a $2 BILLION per year budget (and that’s not counting black project and unreported budgetary expenditures) I think they are more than a think tank.

Look, they’ve probably accomplished some great things and are keeping us ahead of our enemies. I just have a problem with genetically modifying people. This reminds me of the old movie 'Jacob’s Ladder' about the after effects of soldiers who were given mind-altering drugs in Vietnam to make them heartless killers.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

With a $2 BILLION per year budget (and that’s not counting black project and unreported budgetary expenditures) I think they are more than a think tank.

Yes, that's basically the gig. Look it up for yourself.

There are no secret laboratories, no dark basements, no direct experiments. They farm it all out to companies. DARPA itself has less than 300 employees. Most all of them work as contract managers assuring that the RFPs I mentioned are properly done. When you hear a news report that says, "DARPA did this" what it means is that DARPA let out a contract to a private company or University to actually perform the work and turn the results over to DARPA.

BTW, the budget is more like $3 billion.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here is a good bit about DARPA is and what they do in their own words (section 3.8 on page 26 addresses what they label as "the bio-revolution")...

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

DARPA is a Defense Agency with a unique role within DoD. DARPA is not tied to a specific operational mission: DARPA supplies technological options for the entire Department, and is designed to be the “technological engine” for transforming DoD.

Near-term needs and requirements generally drive the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force to focus on those needs at the expense of major change. Consequently, a large organization like DoD needs a place like DARPA whose only charter is radical innovation.

DARPA looks beyond today’s known needs and requirements. As military historian John Chambers noted, “None of the most important weapons transforming warfare in the 20th century – the airplane, tank, radar, jet engine, helicopter, electronic computer, not even the atomic bomb – owed its initial development to a doctrinal requirement or request of the military.” And to this list, DARPA would add unmanned systems, Global Positioning System (GPS) and Internet technologies.

DARPA’s approach is to imagine what capabilities a military commander might want in the future and accelerate those capabilities into being through technology demonstrations. These not only provide options to the commander, but also change minds about what is technologically possible today

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Yes, that's basically the gig. Look it up for yourself.

There are no secret laboratories, no dark basements, no direct experiments. They farm it all out to companies. DARPA itself has less than 300 employees. Most all of them work as contract managers assuring that the RFPs I mentioned are properly done. When you hear a news report that says, "DARPA did this" what it means is that DARPA let out a contract to a private company or University to actually perform the work and turn the results over to DARPA.

BTW, the budget is more like $3 billion.

While I appreciate the info I fail to see what difference any of this makes.

DARPA is making it happen with our tax dollars. I don’t care if they are farming it out….the projects are occurring. Genetic modification is apparently in the works at the direction of DARPA. Should I be less upset because private contractors are doing the work??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join