Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NOAA Requests Ammunition For The Weather Service

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000My point really is...if NOAA needs a law enforcement wing separate enough to get its own ammo budget then who are these guys?

Office of Law Enforcement: US Fish and Wildlife Service

...and what are we paying them for?

As I said earlier in this thread I think the problem or reason we have all these little agencies and pockets of law enforcement if primarily the ego and turf wars that run rampant throughout the halls of the government service. At one point presumably the Director of NOAA had to ask someone else for assistance in enforcement and didn’t like having to sell his position rather than just ordering things done so he lobbied and won more money, authority and people to expand his little empire.

After that no subsequent appointee to the position will ever lobby for less of anything, people, money or control than they already have… At no point is any director, leader or project manager in the government going to advocate for a decrease in his own budget or sphere of influence. Imagine going to your boss and saying well, I have too much, authority, responsibility and money and we could reduce the size of the organization to save the taxpayers some money. He’d last about 6 minutes – there is never a reward for the truth in the government service. Loyalty is however, rewarded very well.

No government employee is going to get promoted for overseeing a decrease in spending even if that is a good thing. They are rewarded with larger spheres of influence and larger budgets for increasing their services not reducing them.

A government bureaucrat is a poor steward of the public trust as his/her livelihood and promotion potential are linked directly to increasing sphere of influence his organization has – the more influence the more budget the bigger budget the more people, the more people the more mangers, the more managers the more the director can influence the political agenda.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000It won't be a Police State by some mammoth army of Storm Troopers under one banner....We're going to be Policed to death by a thousand little agencies all picking in different ways.
Maybe turning these agencies back into data and research organizations wouldn't be a bad idea. Budget Cuts might even be seen!

It is a classic death by a thousand cuts…

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Perhaps it would be a good thing to consider focusing on with the politicians, since budget cutting is all the rage right now. It would be nice if someone pointed this side out as I sure don't ever hear media noting that there seems to be a whole agency, not just a cop behind every bush these days. Heck, someone like Ron Paul could raise it from the sidelines in the name of actual budget cutting. It would be and to an enormous extent.

Personally, if given the choice... I'd rather have a BIG TSA, FBI, and a few others that we know and can be aware of as they do things in major ways than to have a 1000 little ones I don't even know exist until they're driving in after a disaster with the decals and shoulder patches.....and all the authority of the whole Gov't.

Ammo to the DHS makes sense because they are SO many other agencies....but every Tom, Dick and Harry in the Government needing their own little police force with their own little..God only knows what as Chief of it...is impossible to ever have accountability with. It's too complex... There ought to be a law! lol....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Yeah, this is getting more then a little concerning.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The DOC NOAA National Weather Service - Western Acquisition Division ? Boulder requires the following items, Purchase Description Determined by Line Item, to the following:
LI 001, 16,000 rounds of ammunition for semiautomatic pistols to be factory-loaded .40 S&W caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point (JHP). No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
?Inside Delivery? to locations below:
NED:
8,000 rounds to: Ross Lane DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 130 Oak Street, Suite 5, Ellsworth, ME, 04605
8,000 rounds to: Troy Audyatis, DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 53 North 6th Street, Room 214 New Bedford, MA, 02740., 16, Cases;
LI 002, 24,000 rounds of ammunition for semiautomatic pistols to be factory-loaded .40 S&W caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point (JHP). No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
24,000 rounds to: Jeff Radonski, A/DSAC DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, SED 263 13th Avenue South, Suite 109, St. Petersburg, FL, 33701., 24, Cases;
LI 003, 6,000 rounds of frangible, 125-grain CFRHT .40 caliber. No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
6,000 rounds to: James Cassin DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 3350 Highway 138, Suite 218, Wall, NJ, 07719, 6, Cases;
LI 004, 500 Transtar II blue 24" x 40" paper targets
200 paper targets to: Ross Lane DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 130 Oak Street, Suite 5 Ellsworth, ME, 04605
200 paper targets to: Troy Audyatis DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 53 North 6th Street, Room 214 New Bedford, MA, 02740.
100 paper targets to: James Cassin DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, NED 3350 Highway 138, Suite 218, Wall, NJ, 07719, 500, Items;

www.fbo.gov...

LINK above should work.

More ammo being bought up by (DOC) Department of Commerce, (NOAA) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency/Western Aquisition Division. It is mind blowing how much ammo is being bought by different divisions across the US. Notice how they tried to down play it by putting in acquisitions for a few targets. Better get ready something bad is in the making.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This is a pretty interesting story but there are a few things people should realize. FY12 ends September 30th there is a mad dash in all areas of government to spend unused monies. I'm not really aware of how often these purchases are made and what their typical sizes are, that's an important piece of info for context on these stories.

I never knew there was an armed branch of NOAA, who knew? Makes sense they would buy ammo on occasion and that amount isn't really that outrageous even for an agency with so few armed personnel.

I had larger concerns with the DHS order at first though.I recognize that there are a myriad of armed personnel in various agencies in the DHS: Coast Guard, Secret Service, Immigration, Border Patrol etc...; and that certain organizations within DHS will use more than others. I would imagine the Coast Guard would be the largest user based on size and paramilitary nature of that service. I'm sure SS and Air Marshals require more rounds per agent than others due to proficiency requirements; Immigrations and ICE probably use something comparable to the average amount of rounds used by a DoJ or even state or local LEO; and i have no idea how many rounds other agencies in DHS would use. The amount of ammunition being ordered seemed a little on the excessive side until I was reminded that the Coast Guard was part DHS now.

The coast guard would probably account for the majority of the non .40 cal ammunition requirement, and would also have a IMHO a pretty legitimate need for maintaining excess "war stock". There are also some other factors that, could also be in play with the orders. Do not discount the end of the Fiscal Year, I don't know how it is without an actual budget in like forever, but anyone who has ever worked in or around any government knows this. Also, there may be some political factors at play. The government spends money hand over fist and is propping a pretty large part of our GDP up by spending it might be buying bullets, paying rents, or other spending but government spending is a big part of GDP right now. Bullets can be stockpiled for a fairly long time as well, I'd be interested to know what the DHS spends on bullets every year, and how much they keep in "war stock". There are legitimate economic reasons to buy big and now as well. Lead, copper, and tin are commodities whose price fluctuates and it might be smarter to buy now than later.

In total, I'm not that concerned about these purchases, but I do find them large and intriguing enough to keep an eye on and try to find some historical context to put them in. I am pleased that sites like ATS and others are sharing this information and discussing it.
edit on 14-8-2012 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Now it's the Social Security Administration!!!!

It is reported today on Drudge that 174 thousand rounds are being purchased for 41 SSA locations. WTH is going on?!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

See and thats what I don't get. There are federal wildlife officers that have arrest powers. Game wardens have a lot of power as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Maybe it is for those large .50 cal and above hailstones!!
Good luck!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join