It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOAA Requests Ammunition For The Weather Service

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander

Originally posted by texasgirl
There is another article in that same link I just happened to click on that says Homeland Security is getting prepared to announce martial law. I wonder if this is connected? I read most of that article and it said witnesses claimed they saw Russian troops in the forests of some Colorado cities starting fires, including Colorado Springs. Remember the massive fire there last month?

Where was that link.......I thought the Russian's went home months ago.....sounds like psycho nut drivel, but who knows.

I posted the link the same time you posted so look above it.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks to Zarniwoop for the good info....crisis averted.

An additional link related to same:

NOAA Office of Law Enforcement

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Daedal

It is becoming apparent that they are drying up the supplies! I have talked to several people who have said that a lot of different ammo seems to be on back order! Could be a back door to gun control by create a shortage of ammo. After all, a gun with out bullets is just a club.....

lucky my pops and i bought all our ammo a year and a half ago. We've seen this coming for a long time

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Didn't you know you can shoot hurricanes to change their path?

You just have to shoot them a lot. A whole lot.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Don't be silly, that is rediculous.
Gotta go, nice shootin the breeze with ya!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
24K rounds is not really a lot, especilly when target practicing.. I used to go through over 100 rounds a day at the range. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eywadevotee

just throwing it out there, but a well placed aim thats 24,000 lost souls.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The only speculation I could think of, being a technician is being protected while going to a remote site where equipment is. For technicians in the FAA, they carry up in the remote parts of Alaska for obvious reasons. There could be a lot of reasons for this and it would be in the NWS best interest to be open and upfront about the need in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Evidently NOAA has a law enforcement branch. Who knew?!

Ok, so don’t crucify me for the wikki source but I couldn’t (read too lazy to really search) find a listing from a government source – I am sure there is one. I took out all the obvious ones on the list FBI, DEA DHS, DOD etc.

Being in the business so to speak I can vouch for the fact there are many and varied Federal and even State agencies with the powers of arrest and who carry firearms in the course of their regular duties.

Some are obvious others not so much - really the EPA needs guns? Why? In case a guy resists the fine for violating the clean air act after a visit to Taco Bell. Or perhaps the Department of Education for the raids to confiscate the cheat sheets used by Teachers in Atlanta to inflate their test scores - I hear teachers are vicious when caught violating a federal regulation on cheating.

Federal government
Within the U.S. government, the title of 'special agent' is used to describe any federal general or criminal investigator in the GS-1801,1810,1811 or FS-2501 job series as so titled according to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) handbook. Agents are typically educated at least as far as the undergraduate level. Such persons are usually armed and have the power to arrest and conduct investigations into the violation of federal laws.
[edit] Federal agencies

Most federal agencies have some type of special agent, including the following:

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Department of Commerce (USDOC)
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Office of Export Enforcement (OEE)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
FDA Office of Criminal Investigations (OCI)
Department of Education (ED)
United States Department of Labor (DOL-OIG) –
Office of Labor Racketeering and Fraud Investigations
United States Office of Personnel Management
Federal Investigative Services Division (OPM-FISD)
Department of State
U.S. Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) (FS-2501)
Department of Transportation (DOT)
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Department of the Treasury
IRS Criminal Investigation Division (IRS-CID)
United States Mint Police
Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police
Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA)
Postal Service (USPS)
United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS—not an Inspector General)
United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
All 64 federal Offices of Inspector General (OIG)

Read more en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Cosidering a few recent threads on here about government agencies buying ammo, and current events and certain politicians never letting a good crisis go to waste and try to ban online ammuntion sales.

The government and it's unlimited funds buying so much ammunition to corner the market and make it hard to get until said legislation is passed compound that with the un small arms treaty.

Take your choice of conspiracy theories as they are abound but think we all would agree something is rotten in Denmark....or in our case Washington "corruption incorporated" DC.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Here ya go!

NOAA: Office of Law Enforcement

Though, I think most of this could be consolidated because it is yet more overlap in Government Bureaucracy.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by Golf66

Here ya go!

NOAA: Office of Law Enforcement

Though, I think most of this could be consolidated because it is yet more overlap in Government Bureaucracy.

Indeed, many of these little pockets of specialized law enforcement could be wrapped into the FBI who has the authority to enforce all federal laws. Just make it an assignment for an agent - guess what you've been assigned to NOAA for 3 year tour Agent Brown have a good day.

However, as will all federal agencies the quest for influence and ever increasing budgets and "turf wars" result in much more redundancy than is needed. The Director of NOAA doesn’t want to ask for someone to enforce his will he wants to have his own agents that he can hire and fire if they don't play ball. It’s really as simple as that. This gives him power and more authority and more management positions for his buddies and so forth. However, it’s part of the huge burden we enjoy as taxpayers.

All these government employees are power hungry. Been there, seen it, and (hides in shame) done it actually. It’s the end game of many years of Empire building.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'd have to say I find it a bit suspicious, only because it hasn't been done in the past. I think (and hope) its just for the wildlife officers or for survival kits/target practice.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by Daedal

Is this normal for the weather service to train their employees to carry arms or target practice as the purchase suggests?

Make sense to me...I wouldn't suggest trying to arrest smugglers with a squirt gun

Can NOAA special agents and enforcement officers carry firearms and make arrests like state conservation officers? Why do fisheries agents carry guns?

NOAA’s special agents and enforcement officers are federal law enforcement officers that are specialized in investigating crimes involving the poaching, smuggling, and illegal trafficking of marine resources. In the performance of their duties, our agents and officers also detect and uncover other federal crimes. OLE agents and officers carry their issued firearms at all times while on duty, as carrying firearms is an essential function of an agent’s and officer’s job; indeed, it is a condition of employment. The authority for OLE agents and officers to bear firearms is contained in Title 16 U.S.C. 3375(b). OLE agents and officers carrying a weapon during the work day is no different than any other federal law enforcement officer.

NOAA FAQ

That explains why the weather reports are usually wrong.
Shouldn't they be specialized in weather?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I was in the meteorolgy field in the Navy and I am sitting here trying to think of one good reason why meteorologists would need ammo. Unless they blew a forcast for an extremely rough crowd, I'm at a complete loss.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

goo.gl...

Here is a Google street view of the NOAA facility in St. Pete.
You can clearly see the logo on the front of the building.

But notice the "For Lease" sign at the bottom.
The ammo might wind up in the new leasers hands - right ????

I live VERY close to that facility.
If anyone wants more data on it, just ask!

I probably should stop by there to see if the lease sign is still there. So hard to remember that all google data is dated and not real time.

edit on 8/14/2012 by fah0436 because: Added last paragraph

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
All the government has to do to effectively 'ban' guns from right under the noses of the American citizenry is to tax the whole living hell out of ammunition to the point no one will be willing to pay $1 or more every time they squeeze the trigger.

That, and by taxing those who sell guns legally $20,000 a year in liability insurance like what just happened to my parents, who own and operate a pawn shop. Because of the liability insurance, they have decided to forego renewing their Class III FFL and are liquidating their current firearm and ammunition inventory.

Limit the sells of all firearms to only the major distributors... check.
Tax ammunition to unbearable levels... working on it.
Legal gun ownership numbers across America... well, we'll have to see how the numbers bear out, but if you can't shoot, why bother owning a firearm... or that will be the argument.

My suggestion? Stock up now, while you can.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
I was in the meteorology field in the Navy and I am sitting here trying to think of one good reason why meteorologists would need ammo. Unless they blew a forecast for an extremely rough crowd, I'm at a complete loss.

NOAA does have a weather division but also one that enforces fishery laws like lobster quotas and import tags on fish and seafood. Totally useless IMO since the function could be better performed by local fish and wildlife regarding illegal taking out of season etc. or by customs for import issues.

Way too many law enforcement agencies out there - the FBI in theory could handle all of the federal law from the EPA to the FDA assign an agent to the technical experts in the field and when comes time for an arrest you have someone there who can do it. They do a short tour there learn a new area then move on much like Soldiers do throughout their careers. Then when they become a SAIC they have a broad background in federal law enforcement.

Too much specialization is not really good for any organization IMO.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sounds like it could be a "use it or lose it" buy. Have to buy the ammo or that budget money would disappear.

And as someone said, it's not a lot of ammo if their LEOs fire their duty rounds at the range. Might be a nice suggestion for them to get a cheaper round to qualify with.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I imagine I'm not in a minority here who aren't comforted by learning NOAA has a Law Enforcement wing. It seems every agency has an enforcement wing to them. Remember riot guns and side arms to the IRS last year? I never did hear what they expected to be having shoot outs with. Those CEO's can be a crafty bunch I guess. Or maybe Turbo Tax Bubba is getting a visit?

My point really is...if NOAA needs a law enforcement wing separate enough to get it's own ammo budget then who are these guys?

Office of Law Enforcement: US Fish and Wildlife Service

...and what are we paying them for?

It won't be a Police State by some mammoth army of Storm Troopers under one banner....We're going to be Policed to death by a thousand little agencies all picking in different ways.
Maybe turning these agencies back into data and research organizations wouldn't be a bad idea. Budget Cuts might even be seen!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fah0436
reply to post by Frogs

goo.gl...

Here is a Google street view of the NOAA facility in St. Pete.
You can clearly see the logo on the front of the building.

But notice the "For Lease" sign at the bottom.
The ammo might wind up in the new leasers hands - right ????

I live VERY close to that facility.
If anyone wants more data on it, just ask!

I probably should stop by there to see if the lease sign is still there. So hard to remember that all google data is dated and not real time.

edit on 8/14/2012 by fah0436 because: Added last paragraph

I smell the corrupt GSA all over this.

<< 1    3 >>

join