It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death of the first Martian Life Form?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The following image was cropped from an original photo returned to earth from Mars by MSL Curiosity:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Closer crops and blow-ups now...

Upon examination, this item could (of course) be an unusual rock but... what appears to be a tail really stands out as well as two things on the large head-like appendage that could be... eyes? Nostrils?

The location is near one of the areas that was blasted by rocket exhaust during the landing sequence of Curiosity. Considering the many times it has been postulated that Mars could possibly sustain life just below the surface and under rocks, this begins to look like a Martian life form that was blown out of a burrow/habitat and left to die exposed to the Martian surface.

Not going to make a call on this... but thought it was worth a second look.

NOTE: Several months ago, I swore off ever posting here again but... my beef is not (and never has been) with the membership so, if allowed to stand, this is presented for your consideration.

Best to all,

- Redoubt

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Are you saying that Curiosity killed the Martian cat?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Mummified martian frog....

That's as far outside the box I can take that one.....otherwise...yup...a rock....

Des

edit on 13-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Was thinking more like... shrimp or a scorpion?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Occam's razor is showing me that it's a rock. I'm not trying to be a sarcastic douche.
Simply because it's essentially the same colour to a degree or two as the surrounding environment.
The design gives us something relatable, earthly, but in the end i'm under the impression it's a rock.

If it were a life-form, i'm quite certain there would have to be more, and a lot more visible.
Like a colony nearby, and more species. Also what is this 'thing' doing to stay alive?
There doesn't seem to be any resources for an organism to consume.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry, you are looking to see something that is not there. Without zooming in, it looks just like a rock. When you enhance it, it looks less like anything and more open to interpretation.

That for example looks like it could be some sort of insect or skull.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Xertious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Hey guys, again, not making a call but... I suggest finding an Earth rock that is oblong with a bulbous end, appears to be flexible in the middle, sports a multi-prong tail and two identical features, space evenly on the large area that look like holes of the same size.

Nature is cool and I love fossil hunting. but... the only way this passes for a rock is because of Curiosity's lack of megapixels on the mast. Lack of focusing ability and resolution could make a rock look like this but... aside from that, I call it damned odd... but, nothing more.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xertious

Not the same item... no tail.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
looks like rover road kill to me... I wouldn't jump that far ahead yet. I am sure there is much to learn on Mars.

link   
Wow no wonder they picked this site!!!! It has it all. Pyramids,UFO,Turtles going at it
, and a rock shrimp.

edit on 13-8-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Closer crops and blow-ups now...

Upon examination, this item could (of course) be an unusual rock but... what appears to be a tail really stands out as well as two things on the large head-like appendage that could be... eyes? Nostrils?

I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist

link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Occam's razor is showing me that it's a rock. I'm not trying to be a sarcastic douche.
Simply because it's essentially the same colour to a degree or two as the surrounding environment.
The design gives us something relatable, earthly, but in the end i'm under the impression it's a rock.

If it were a life-form, i'm quite certain there would have to be more, and a lot more visible.
Like a colony nearby, and more species. Also what is this 'thing' doing to stay alive?
There doesn't seem to be any resources for an organism to consume.

Maybe a fossiized (rock) creature, thus, the same color more or less as the surroundings?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh well, it's out there for anyone interested in more than guffaws and belly laughs.

I tried.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I still havent a clue what this is from MARS
Interesting image OP I DO think LIFE is up there right now..

edit on 8/13/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

So that's where I left my lucky frog foot!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It is an odd looking rock.

I've done this exercise before with earth photos. You'd be amazed how many rocks look like something they are not.

I wish there was something more obvious to settle the question. We all know the answer, but it's obviously going to take time to convincingly prove it.

...now where did I leave my primate mask for Halloween?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Oh well, it's out there for anyone interested in more than guffaws and belly laughs.

I tried.

Please don't be offended.

It's cool you posted this.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Interesting rock...
edit on 13-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I tried.

I was just having a bit of fun. It DOES look like the retarded horse though!

Honestly the very second I saw the photo in your OP my eyes gravitated to the "normal looking rock" up and to the left of that "shrimp" .. and then my brain instantly said "photoshop"

That "rock" labelled "ufo saucer" in Interrupts' post looks like it was inserted into the photo.

Again I've made my feeling very clear about the imagining capability in other Curiosity threads. It's pretty difficult to examine any of these photos in any detail because thanks to using 12 year old digital imaging technology, there IS NO detail...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Destinyone

Was thinking more like... shrimp or a scorpion?
Thought the same including a 'lobster'..but another thought could also be fossilized 'droppings'?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Im gonna concur with the retarded horse

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join