It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A query regarding Apllo 17 !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hi folks .
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed , but I have a few questions for any Apollo expert out there .
All of my questions are related the gloves worn by all Apollo crew members.

Firstly , Am I right in my assumption that the Hasselblad camera's used by the Apollo crews were designed in such a way as to make taking pictures by the astronauts easier because of restricted hand movements in the pressurised gloves ?

Secondly, it is a well known fact that the gloves of the spacesuits caused the astronauts a great deal of discomfort .

We found that many Apollo crewmembers who performed EVA on the Moon noted problems with their hands. For example, one astronaut remarked, “ EVA 1 was clearly the hardest … particularly in the hands. Our fingers were very sore. ” Another commented that his hands were “ very sore after each EVA.

With this in mind , I was wondering how the crew of Apollo 17 manage to assemble the lunar rover and then later repair a rear fender with duct tape ?
www.youtube.com...

I am in no way an Apollo moonlanding debunker , so please don't flame me , I was just wondering how the tasks were carried out given the conditions .

Regards.
edit on 13-8-2012 by tpg47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
According to that video he taped together the rover with ducktape in the spacecraft so gloves weren't needed.
Gloves are only needed outside the spacecraft where the lack of oxygen requires a sealed unit so oxygen can flow within the suit.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Xertious

Thanks .

What about the assembly of the rover ? That didn't take place indoors lol , but they managed to assemble it in pessurised gloves ?

Regards.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There is a little paragraph in the LRV article on wikipedia that gives a good idea :

Deployment of the LRV from the LM's Quadrant 1 bay by the astronauts was achieved with a system of pulleys and braked reels using ropes and cloth tapes. The rover was folded and stored in the bay with the underside of the chassis facing out. One astronaut would climb the egress ladder on the LM and release the rover, which would then be slowly tilted out by the second astronaut on the ground through the use of reels and tapes. As the rover was let down from the bay, most of the deployment was automatic. The rear wheels folded out and locked in place. When they touched the ground, the front of the rover could be unfolded, the wheels deployed, and the entire frame let down to the surface by pulleys. The rover components locked into place upon opening. Cabling, pins, and tripods would then be removed and the seats and footrests raised. After switching on all the electronics, the vehicle was ready to back away from the LM.

Source

I do not have a "on the fly" answer for your glove related question. Might I suggest you read the transcript of the missions communication to see if gloves were an issue with the LRV deployment.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The rover was mostly pre-assembled, although it folded up to fit in its storage bay.

To complete the rover assembly, the astronauts had to unfold and secure the parts that were folded. Some of the folded parts were spring-loaded in order to aid the astronauts, and they would click into position, or require a simple cotter pin to secure them.

Here is a link that includes the Rover's User manual:
www.landingapollo.com...

Once in the link, click on "Lunar Rover Operations Handbook (ALSJ)" (Warning - It is a 38 MB pdf file).

Starting on page 2-1 is a step-by-step procedure on how to deploy the rover. Engineers tried to make the assembly as easy as possible, knowing that dexterity would be an issue.

By the way, it wasn't just Apollo 17 that used a rover -- Apollo 15 and 16 also each had a rover.

edit on 8/13/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
To SolidGoal & Soylent .
Thank you both .

top topics

join