It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JFK's $100M security system breached by a jet-skier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The search engine is down, so I don't know if this has been posted, but it is a GREAT story!

After sinking his jet ski, a 31-year-old man was forced to swim to the only lights he saw on shore. Wearing a bright yellow life jacket, the man penetrated John F. Kennedy airport, bypassing the $100 million security system.

Soaking wet, Casillo made it to shore, bypassing a sophisticated system of motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras and climbing an eight-foot barbed-wire perimeter fence meant to protect against terrorists and other national security threats.

Still wearing his life jacket, the young man then walked into a terminal and approached a Delta Airlines worker, who was startled and called the authorities.

Yes, folks, those TSA pat-downs, and invasive scanners, and bomb and drug dogs with their nose in your crotch, and the 4 oz rule on shampoo, those things are making us perfectly safe. It isn't like a terrorist could walk right up to a runway dripping wet, wearing a glow in the dark vest with reflective stripes!!! Oh, wait, YES THEY CAN!

Not to mention, anybody can take 4 oz of kitchen cleaners and mix with another 4 oz of kitchen cleaners and make anything from mustard gas to explosives. But, luckily for us, the terrorists don't have Google, or Jet-Ski's, so they will never figure out how to get by our top-notch security.

edit on 13-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
That's funny. As a side note about JFK security, just the other day Long Island was rocked by two F-15's chasing down a small aircraft. That aircraft "supposedly" entered JFK airspace without responding to ATC.

I know it's not relevant to your story. I just find it strange that a person can penetrate JFK's "defenses" like that, but a small aircraft passing Class D airspace gets chased down by 2 F-15s

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

NY POST

The outraged head of the Port Authority police union today demanded an investigation into how a swamped jet skier was able to breach Kennedy Airport’s troubled $100 million security system.

Paul Nunziato, president of the authority’s PBA, will send a letter to PA big Patrick Foye “demanding a PA inspector’s general investigation into the failed Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, the cost over-runs and the relationship between the Port Authority and Raytheon, the vendor,” said Robert Egbert, a PBA spokesman.

The demand for answers followed an exclusive report in The Post yesterday on how the marooned jet skier easily overcame the supposedly fool-proof security system at JFK.

After a night of partying with pals, sinking his jet ski and swimming to shore, Daniel Casillo, 31, of Howard Beach strolled undetected across two runways and into a terminal.

Neither motion sensors nor closed-circuit cameras of the Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, or PIDS, detected Casillo, who was only busted when he approached a startled Delta Airlines worker near Gate 10.

Earlier that night, Casillo had been drinking at a Rosedale watering hole with his buds when they decided to go out racing their personal watercraft.

Casillo got separated from his partners as darkness fell, and then his jet ski conked out -- so he swam 3 miles to a runway at the airport.

Casillo -- in a bright yellow life vest -- climbed the eight-foot tall perimeter fence and made it all the way to Terminal 3 without anyone noticing.

Once apprehended, he was charged with criminal trespass.

The ballyhooed PIDS system, which was first announced in 2009, has proven to be a boondoggle, having never fully come online after a series of delays.

The PA, which runs the airport, says that it has stepped up patrols and is reviewing the incident and that it plans to meet with PIDS maker Raytheon this week about the breach.

a Raytheon rep said, “We are working closely with the Port Authority to determine what happened. “

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think a few people need to be fired over this, and I believe some will be fired.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is that guy still charged and might go to jail??? for that? why do we prefer to ruin people's lives over silly crap?
he helped them prove their inability to defence, the guy needs a medal or something.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The best part was that they arrested the guy for being in the airport??
I guess he made them all look so ridiculous that they had to detain him?

Doesn't JFK have the best security system in the country?

"I think he should be given dinner and a bottle of champagne for showing us our faults," said Nicholas Casale, an NYPD veteran and former MTA deputy security director for counterterrorism.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I think a few people need to be fired over this, and I believe some will be fired.

Yes. Unfortunately it will be some nobody that gets sacrificed. No one of any real significance will be held accountable.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here at the airport in my town, I often sit just outside the fence and watch the jets take-off. At 11:35 p.m. each night, a FedEx 727 takes off, and it takes off under full-power instead of the 60 or 70% like most passenger aircraft take off with. It can be heard and felt all over town, and its fun to be right there as it passes over. The end of the runway is about 100 yards from the fence, 120 yards from the side of the road. A security patrol rolls around every now and then inside the fence. They see me sitting there outside the fence, on a public road, and they NEVER ask me what I'm doing there. I could be sitting there with a 30-06, or a missile launcher for all they know, and as long as I'm 3 feet outside the fence, apparently they don't care.

I can also walk into the local "fixed-base operator (FBO)" and talk to them about airplanes, walk out on the tarmac, walk over to the fuel storage tanks, or rent a plane and have free run of the entire airport.

I could also rent a plane, fly to Atlanta or JFK or DFW and land in a secured area, and get out and be free to wander around the hundreds of passenger aircraft getting ready for departure.

TSA is worthless.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Partying all night and then skirting JFK security unintentially.

Tha Mother of all nighter stories right there and most likely an epic hangover tale as well.

One for the grand kids for sure...

As I've said before, you just can't make this stuff up. Life is what happens to you when you least expect it.

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Probably a good thing he was drunk, he might never have made that 3 mile swim if he was sober, LOL!

I think the criminal charge is probably a misdemeanor, if they even pursued it. They probably dropped the charges later on. Definitely a great party story!! Got drunk, sunk a wave-runner, swam 3 miles, dodged security, scaled a fence, walked up to some runway personnel, and got arrested. Wow.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
They see me sitting there outside the fence, on a public road, and they NEVER ask me what I'm doing there. I could be sitting there with a 30-06, or a missile launcher for all they know, and as long as I'm 3 feet outside the fence, apparently they don't care.

And if they did approach you and started asking questions or maybe even asked you to leave, you'd probably waste no time complaining here how your freedoms were grossly violated.

They can't win, can they?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321

Yes. Unfortunately it will be some nobody that gets sacrificed. No one of any real significance will be held accountable.

I donno. If that was a person who was supposed to watch the security camera footage, they must answer for this too, and if a tech failed to fix a faulty sensor, that would also be an offense.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I didn't think it was possible to sink one. They still float even when they're upside down.

......I could be sitting there with a 30-06, or a missile launcher for all they know, and as long as I'm 3 feet outside the fence, apparently they don't care.

I could also rent a plane............., and get out and be free to wander around the hundreds of passenger aircraft getting ready for departure.

TSA is worthless.
I don't actually think that you meant it this way, but do you realize that this↑ entire post could be viewed as you [color=CC9D9D]complaining about not having even more of your rights taken away?

Definitely a great party story!! Got drunk, sunk a wave-runner, swam 3 miles, dodged security, scaled a fence, walked up to some runway personnel, and got arrested. Wow.
If it were me, I would probably tell a slightly different version of that story.....
[color=B4DEA2]One night awhile back, I got drunk, and sunk my wave-runner. Then after having to swim for 3 miles, I was wore the hell out. All I wanted was a dam ride, so I climbed the fence around the airport, hoping someone would come pick me up for trespassing. Nobody came!! I had to walk another dam mile, just to find someone to talk to. It sucked. Sucked bad.

P.S. Just a suggestion:

The 'mln' in the thread title, looks like 'min'. While first reading the thread title, I wasn't exactly sure what a "100 Dollar Minute Security System" actually was. Might wanna think about changing it to 'mill'. Like I said, it's just a suggestion.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

They see me sitting there outside the fence, on a public road, and they NEVER ask me what I'm doing there. I could be sitting there with a 30-06, or a missile launcher for all they know, and as long as I'm 3 feet outside the fence, apparently they don't care.

And if they did approach you and started asking questions or maybe even asked you to leave, you'd probably waste no time complaining here how your freedoms were grossly violated.

They can't win, can they?

You've seen my posts. I'm not one of those.

If I'm carrying my gun on my hip and a cop stops to ask me some questions, verify my identity, and guess at my intentions, I have no problem with that. As long as I don't get cuffed and cavity searched, I'm fine with a cop doing their job to identify possible threats.

One time I saw a cop parked back up behind some bushes in a school zone speed trapping people while kids were crossing the road. I parked, got out, and walked over to his car and lectured him about his duties to protect the kids instead of catching speeders. I took down his badge number and vehicle number and filed a complaint. Better to be a deterrent than to catch someone breaking a law. Not only was he not serving as a deterrent, he was serving as a distraction to draw people's eyes up into the bushes instead of on the crosswalk in front of them!

They absolutely should walk around and shine their lights in my car, and check my ID, and make sure I don't have a missile launcher propped up on the other side of the vehicle.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
it has been posted already, i read it about 4/5 hours ago on here. although without search working you couldn't be expected to find it

edited to add: found it... www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-8-2012 by ladyteeny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I don't actually think that you meant it this way, but do you realize that this↑ entire post could be viewed as you complaining about not having even more of your rights taken away?

My complaint is discrepancy between the insanely intrusive security measures for the innocent passengers, and the total lack of security in other parts of the airport.

I think they should disband the TSA and let passengers carry their guns, OR they should make sure the damn place really is secure from all threats and not just passengers trying to travel peacefully.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
its all about cutting costs, heaps of dummy cameras, like the pentagon. instead of paying a buch of security guys to watch the feeds, they just install dummies and pocket the cash

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

MAYBE BECAUSE THE SECURITY SYSTEM DIDNT COST THE 100 MILLION DOLLARS???...BECAUSE IS THE SAME SYSTEM IMPLEMENTED IN ANY CHECK POINT IN THE US.......DOGS,PERSONEL ON FOOT,X-RAYS,HEAT SENSORS,MOTION SENSORS,ETC,ETC,,,WHAT COULD BE DIFFRENT???????....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

One time I saw a cop parked back up behind some bushes in a school zone speed trapping people while kids were crossing the road. I parked, got out, and walked over to his car and lectured him about his duties to protect the kids instead of catching speeders. I took down his badge number and vehicle number and filed a complaint. Better to be a deterrent than to catch someone breaking a law. Not only was he not serving as a deterrent, he was serving as a distraction to draw people's eyes up into the bushes instead of on the crosswalk in front of them!

I have 100% respect for your intentions and actions. That been said, getting a ticket (or two, serially) in one location does miracles to people's awareness of the environment in that locale. I'm saying that as a person who was ticketed for running the stop sign, and boy do I stop ever since then.

new topics

top topics

join