It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting record analysis finds Paul Ryan most extreme VP nominee in a century

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I would just like to remind everyone that Ryan is Vice-President (potentially) NOT president.

This current attack is just another of a series to deflect from the dismal record that "president" Obama has wraught upon the nation.

Ryan is the next in line to the presidency. You can't simply dismiss Ryan's politics. It's not a deflection of other issues.

Twice in the last half century, a VP became president. One was due to a tragedy, the other due to the president resigning. While rare, the VP taking over the helm does happen.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ryan Scores Lowest Poll Numbers Since Quayle

And worse than Sarah Palin, too!

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan scores the lowest initial ratings from Americans of any vice presidential pick since the controversial choice of Dan Quayle nearly a quarter-century ago, a weekend USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds.

After studying his voting history and his dependence on the government for his own welfare, I'm not at all surprised.

They're in for an uphill battle.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by beezzer
I would just like to remind everyone that Ryan is Vice-President (potentially) NOT president.

This current attack is just another of a series to deflect from the dismal record that "president" Obama has wraught upon the nation.

Ryan is the next in line to the presidency. You can't simply dismiss Ryan's politics. It's not a deflection of other issues.

Twice in the last half century, a VP became president. One was due to a tragedy, the other due to the president resigning. While rare, the VP taking over the helm does happen.

If he was in line to be the next president, he would never have gotten on the bottom of a Romney ticket. When this ticket loses, Ryan's momentum will be gone. This wasn't a way to make him the next president, this was a way to make sure he has no influence in Congress, and no influence in the Republican party, and no chance at becoming president himself.

There's a reason that good candidates like Rubio and Rice didn't want this appointment.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Dear Benevolent Heretic,

It's good to see you again. You're one of my favorite people to have a disagreement with. May I expand upon and update your poll information a bit?

From your source:

Ryan isn't well-known. More than half of those surveyed, 53%, say they have never heard of him or don't know enough to have an opinion. Among those who do, 27% give him a favorable rating, 21% an unfavorable one. By 50%-31%, voters say Ryan is qualified to serve as president.

But more interesting to me is what happened after Ryan began appearing as the candidate:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters now have a favorable opinion of Ryan, while 32% view him unfavorably. This includes 29% with a Very Favorable view of Romney’s vice presidential pick and 13% with a Very Unfavorable one. Only 13% are now unfamiliar with Ryan, and five percent (5%) are not sure about him.

Forty-three percent (43%) of voters think Romney made the right choice when he chose Ryan to be his running mate. Twenty-two percent (22%) disagree and think it was a bad choice. A sizable 35% aren’t sure.

But 36% now say they are more likely to vote for Romney with Ryan as his running mate. Twenty-nine percent (29%) say they are less likely to vote for the Republican, while just as many (30%) say the vice presidential selection has no impact on their vote
Rasmussen It looks like Ryan is at least as popular as Obama and seems to be heading up.

Dare I even suggest Romney and Ryan for the next 16 years?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Originally posted by macaronicaesar

That's because the article is a left wing talking piece.

This statement describes 80% of the articles posted on ATS. It's difficult to debate Paul Ryan's record when all the left has is false hit pieces which they post on here daily.

His record isn't difficult to debate at all. It's in plain sight for all to see. These aren't talking points by the left, it's his actual real life voting history. Liberals didn't make it up.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ryan also has less foreign policy experience than even Palin had, if you can imagine that. Granted, Ryan has a brain and can learn, unlike Palin, but in these times why would I want a guy 10xmore novice in foreign policy than I am being next in line for the presidency?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Ryan also has less foreign policy experience than even Palin had, if you can imagine that. Granted, Ryan has a brain and can learn,
I completely agree with all of that, but I'm not sure it amounts to a significant problem.

Obama had no experience, and nobody believes that Biden is guiding our foreign policy. There are some issues for which you want to call in expert advisors. I think everyone is agreed that Ryan is in to handle economic issues (and to destroy Biden in a debate). He knows more about Obamacare and the economy than almost anyone in the country, certainly anyone in politics. I've seen him described as a "policy wonk" and a "boy genius." I believe that the economy is still the #1 issue on American's minds, and that Romney wanted to show he was serious about it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join