It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London to New York in ONE HOUR: US military to test radical new hypersonic aircraft that can reach 4

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I hope you Americans are happy with your tax money going toward another war machine for your war obsessed government. I love the way some news outlets say that it will enable the US to drop munitions anywhere in the world at short notice. Glad to see that one of the biggest countries would rather spend money on a weapon than actually using the money for good of its own people. Just think what you could do with the money spent on this project .. Sad sad times for the human race if there is intelligent life out there on other planets i could see why they might not be so keen on making contact with us.
edit on 15-8-2012 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Yes PeaceMaker, but don't forget if you live in a free country this is because people like the Air Force and scientists make your country safe with high tech weapon. Don't forget that a lot of tyrans live in your planet and are ennemy of liberty and if there is no country like USA to protect a lot of people may be the army of tyrans can knock at your door and this day you will ask yourself and think " please where are you with your high tech weapon to protect me?" Sometimes to have a better life its just to live in a free country with big army and high tech weapon just for protect life and liberty of people who live there. And you talk about people on another world but may be if they come to destroy human race you may be happy to find hypersonic or laser or railgun or anything else to protect us. And today I m not happy because of the X-51 failure this a lot of works and engineering made by people and scientist who go in Pacific but they will try again and a day they success, and for what? just protect us.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Air Force's hypersonic test fails

CRASHED INTO THE OCEAN.
security.blogs.cnn.com...
edit on 15-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oh great. Another piece of tech that has been built for militery. Okay,
in the future they will use it for normal planes, but like alot of technology,
its main purpose is for war! What wonderful people we have running this
planet!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksidius

Yes PeaceMaker, but don't forget if you live in a free country this is because people like the Air Force and scientists make your country safe with high tech weapon. Don't forget that a lot of tyrans live in your planet and are ennemy of liberty and if there is no country like USA to protect a lot of people may be the army of tyrans can knock at your door and this day you will ask yourself and think " please where are you with your high tech weapon to protect me?" Sometimes to have a better life its just to live in a free country with big army and high tech weapon just for protect life and liberty of people who live there. And you talk about people on another world but may be if they come to destroy human race you may be happy to find hypersonic or laser or railgun or anything else to protect us. And today I m not happy because of the X-51 failure this a lot of works and engineering made by people and scientist who go in Pacific but they will try again and a day they success, and for what? just protect us.

Dear God!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by darksidius

Mate if I had a chance I wouldnt live in a so called 'free country' and also im not from the US. My point I was trying to make if countries spent their money for its own people instead of being more concerned about bombing other countries and gettin thier noses involved with other peoples way of life in other countries. Why not use the money spent on this aircraft that seems to fail its every test flight, put that money into its own countries economy and make everyone's lives better. But nooooo the US always too concerned in making weapons, and before you say "well the UK does the same". Yes we do without a doubt, but that's because my countries government has to sniff around the US Governments rear end all the time. If I had it my way I'd cut all ties with the US war machine. Just sick of countries more concerned on their arsenal of weapons when you have families out there in all countries struggling to eat n feed their families.

Same goes for nukes ... Who needs nukes. US is always banging on about who can and can't have them yet the US is the only country to use them in war

And if aliens had come here to wipe us out .. What could would a hypersonic jet (designed to drop payloads) do against a galatic armada of space travelling ships who's technology would be far more advanced that ours is.

Just sick of countries who think they have to develop new weapons to kill the same race we all are

As for tyrants maybe we should stay out of other peoples countries and their business and we wouldnt have terrorist threats

But hey I'm just a English guy with different views my opinion doesn't matter

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Results were not so good...

An unmanned experimental aircraft designed to fly six times the speed of sound broke apart over the Pacific Ocean seconds into a military test flight due to a faulty control fin, the U.S. Air Force said on Wednesday.

LINK

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Might as well of emptied breif case loads of dollar bills into the ocean.
2nd

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Why do people always complain so bitterly when a flight test vehicle fails? It is called "test" for a reason. This is an experimental vehicle with a very challenging flight profile. Sure, it's disappointing when it doesn't work, but there is always an inherent risk factor associated with this type of operation.

This incident seems very similar to the X-43A mishap. Although one X-43A vehicle was lost, the two remaining flights produced a wealth of data. That is how testing works.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

I'm not moaning at all I just think its a waste of money developing a weapon designed to kill people, if the vehicle was for humanitarian aid and was being to help for us normal people ( for example improving in air travel ) then I wouldn't moan. But considering they have now tested this twice (as far as i know) and it's failed twice and the only info we have on it is that they are designing this to be able to bomb anywhere on the planet in hours I think it's a complete waste or time and money.

That's the way I see it though rip me apart you wish

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The scramjet technology has a variety of civil and military applications (high-speed transport, improved access to space,etc.). Unfortunately, it is easier and more cost effective to weaponize it. That is how it was explained to me by a former high-level Pentagon official who still consults on matters of hypersonics.

The money being spent on this project is just a drop in the bucket when you look at the overall U.S. defense budget. If you want to see a real waste of money, look at the wars being waged in Southwest Asia.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Please join us tonight on ATS LIVE RADIO where we will be discussing this topic as a Turbo Topic! Please visit THIS THREAD for the schedule of topics!

We would love to have you call in and voice your opinion regardless of what it is!

ATS Live Is Broadcasting * Today @ 9:00 PM EST

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

But nooooo the US always too concerned in making weapons, and before you say "well the UK does the same". Yes we do without a doubt, but that's because my countries government has to sniff around the US Governments rear end all the time. If I had it my way I'd cut all ties with the US war machine.

Yes, but research into military applications almost always make their way into other areas. THE INTERNET, Lasers, MRI machines, composite materials, etc etc etc all have roots in military applications. Would you stop using those as well?

Same goes for nukes ... Who needs nukes. US is always banging on about who can and can't have them yet the US is the only country to use them in war

Used with good reason but thats a debate for another topic in another forum.

And if aliens had come here to wipe us out .. What could would a hypersonic jet (designed to drop payloads) do against a galatic armada of space travelling ships who's technology would be far more advanced that ours is.

Yes, but by dilligently doing our military research, the USA will be prepared to bail you out. Plus all the benifits as mentioned before that this research will generate

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Completely agree with that.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I would add to Fred's post that we need nukes. It's called nuclear deterrence. It makes countries (not terrorists groups) think twice before attacking this country. I'm willing to bet that there will never be another nuke dropped on a city. Unless Iran does the dropping someday.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

Mate if I had a chance I wouldnt live in a so called 'free country' and also im not from the US. My point I was trying to make if countries spent their money for its own people instead of being more concerned about bombing other countries and gettin thier noses involved with other peoples way of life in other countries. Why not use the money spent on this aircraft that seems to fail its every test flight, put that money into its own countries economy and make everyone's lives better. But nooooo the US always too concerned in making weapons, and before you say "well the UK does the same". Yes we do without a doubt, but that's because my countries government has to sniff around the US Governments rear end all the time. If I had it my way I'd cut all ties with the US war machine. Just sick of countries more concerned on their arsenal of weapons when you have families out there in all countries struggling to eat n feed their families.

Just sick of countries who think they have to develop new weapons to kill the same race we all are

As for tyrants maybe we should stay out of other peoples countries and their business and we wouldnt have terrorist threats

But hey I'm just a English guy with different views my opinion doesn't matter

The X-51 is meant to be a prototype for A MISSILE, not an airplane. It could easily be weaponized and used in the case of an Alien invasion. They will use the technology for aircraft eventually. A bit nitpicky and offtopic, I know.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
But why waste money on new technology when no one could afford to keep the concord running?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

>groan<

Why do anything then?

FYI, Concorde was profitable up until the accident, after which the cost of changes needed to be made to the aircraft outweighed the benefits. Add onto that it had a really small capacity and was designed in the 60's.

Today's hypersonic aircraft which are being developed are leagues ahead of Concorde. Also, in the case of the Sabre engine from the UK, it runs on hydrogen not normal jet fuel, which is nice and cheap.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join