It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Defense Department on Hunt for ‘Rare Earth’ Elements: (another sign of pending war?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

Originally posted by meticulous

Originally posted by mbkennel

Originally posted by moniker

Originally posted by anon72
I can't help but feel that China is the next Japan. They have been buying up natural resources all over the world at an alarming rate.. for years.

Except for rare earth minerals, as they are mined within China.

The USA used to mine rare earth minerals too, but it's an environmentally dirty business and most of the miners where shut down. Only a few rare earth miners remain in the USA now.

There are no operating rare earth miners in the USA. They were previously bankrupted by Chinese dumping and China's lack of enforced environmental regulations.

Looks like someone did not read all the replies to the OP.

The USA currently only has one Rare Earth open pit mine. The mine is owned by Molycorp and is located outside Las Vegas in the Mojave Desert. Rare Earth’s are really not that rare to find but they are very difficult and expensive to extract from ore.
Molycorp just started a new operation this year they've named "Project Phoenix" that they will not comment on but it seems they have found the Rare Heavy Earth’s: terbium, yttrium, and dysprosium at the site.

I'm well aware of that mine. It is not presently producing and has not for many years. .

It IS currently in operation and they have hired 100's of new employees along with security.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis
China This.. China That, blah blah China Blah Blah Blah

The most overrated military in history ?

and your post does what for the conversation? thought as much.

on topic.

interesting find. i cant help but wonder about all the wars in the middle east in general. if maybe we were there looking for something (besides trying to line our pockets with oil).

<< 1   >>

join